Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Traxxas Summit

Old 02-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas Summit

So when i was cleaning my summit today i took the motor out and looked at the linkage to the rear diff. When i put the motor back on last time i had wires put back in the wrong spot and it was holding up the linkage from locking the rear diff...my servo is fine thank god!!! Everything is back to working order
Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Rare

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: JahVega

for all of us summit users. get the kershaw designs upgrade. its still brushed waterproof and faster about 10 miles and still extremely capable at low speeds.
can anyone confirm this? Is it really 10mph faster?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was thinking the same thing...i googled it and didnt find it. Any1 have a link they could post. Also im thinking of painting my stock rims with black truck bedliner so it will be tough and not chip, does any1 have any pics of black stock rims b4 i get to the point of no return. And i noticed one of my tires came unglued...what do u vets use for tire glue?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Found a pic. I love it! Im painting them tomorrow. Ill post some pics when they are done.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 PM
TheKennyKiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't normally contact RC companies but I decided to email RPM and ask them if they had any plans for making rear arms for the Summit. The answer I got was basically that there are no plans as of right now but that it would be mentioned in a "new product" meeting. I don't know about you guys but I would buy rear RPM arms for sure. If you feel the same way shoot of an email to RPM telling them you want some RPM arms for your Summit, who knows they might just decide to make them. Email them at Talk2Us@rpmrcproducts.com
Old 02-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Rare

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So, has anyone ran a dewalt motor? Im seriously considering a dewalt setup over a BL setup due to HIGH torque and it would already be completely waterproof. Ive also read that the dewalt setup can reach up to and around 30mph with proper gearing. The dewalt route is much cheaper obviously. I will be running 2x 2s 5000mah 40c batteries. What do you guys think?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:39 PM
TheKennyKiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a [link=http://204.186.93.64/Products-Summit.htm]link[/link] to the Kershaw Designs stuff. I am still running stock, If the motor dies I'm not sure which route I will take be it brushless or dewalt so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I've read there are a few small things needed to be done for the dewalt like using a dremel to cut the pinion off and making a flat spot on the shaft for your desired pinion. I'm not sure what else needs to be done and I can't find the thread I read about it.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:44 AM
JUCD VPR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

PLASTI DIP (Black- Spray can) can be used to paint wheels. They will dry and be a nice flat black color. I actually use this stuff on my real Dodge Charger SRT8 wheels as well as the grill and it has held up great for over 1 yr. It actually protects the wheels and is easy to peel off without leaving reside.

CORROSIONX for those who want a Brushless Set-up that is waterproof. Takes about 10 minutes, last a year.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 AM
LaTuFu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kershaw Designs 14.4v DeWalt conversion is simply a kit to make the DeWalt conversion a little simpler.  There is a dual motor version of it, too.

The 14.4v DeWalt motor is a pretty commonly used "upgrade" to the 775.  More power, speed, and torque than the 775, but still uses the stock EVX2 and remains waterproof.  Definitely not the all out speed of a brushless, but its more than stock.  It's also pretty cheap, since the motors are usually $35-$40.  The brushes are replaceable, too, so ongoing maintenance is not a big deal.

As far as CorrosionX is concerned...many people are using it successfully to "waterproof" their ESCs in a Brushless setup.  Just understand, if you are considering this option, that CorrosionX is not a waterproofing product.  It coats the surface with a highly water repellant coating.  This can be enough to protect the ESC for 90% of the water exposure it might see, but it isn't a 100% foolproof solution.

I'm not suggesting that CorrosionX is a bad idea or that you shouldn't do it.  I'm simply suggesting that if you don't have the budget to go out and replace your ESC if it gets fried due to water damage...consider this option very carefully.  
Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Rare

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the dewalt can get the summit up to 30mph i think thats pretty good. I mean how fast can you go with the summit and still be able to control it well? Straight aways of course would be no problem, but when youre bashing around i think 30mph is plenty for the summit. Because who really wants to just do just drag race all day? Sure youre summit can hit around 40mp, but once you try to turn it you flip over. It makes me wonder if a BL system even makes sense in a summit...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is no way im putting more speed in mine...it almost flips over now going top speed and turning. Thats just not what it was built for. I couldnt even imagine doing 40-50. It would be impossible to control.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Rare

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Summit is Beast!!!

There is no way im putting more speed in mine...it almost flips over now going top speed and turning. Thats just not what it was built for. I couldnt even imagine doing 40-50. It would be impossible to control.
Are running the stock setup?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All stock...the way its going to stay. Maybe get some lipos in a few months but thats it.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Rare

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

All stock...the way its going to stay. Maybe get some lipos in a few months but thats it.
Nice! I would definitely get some lipos if I were you. Longer run times and better performance. You wont regret it.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 PM
aknitroguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

If your not looking to spend a bunch of money getting into some Lipo's check these out: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20680 6000mah 2s Nano tech. I bought a pair $62 to the door. They are the exact same size in every way as the stock power stick 7 cell batts. except weight lol they weight about a third as much. Thats a lot of battery for under $70 shipped for a pair. They have great power and very long run times with the stock set up.
That was the only upgrade mine has seen (so far)
Jay
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 PM
aknitroguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ooops double post, didn't think it was doing anything the first time I pushed the button..
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 AM
TheKennyKiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Found a pic. I love it! Im painting them tomorrow. Ill post some pics when they are done.

Did you paint the wheels yet? I just saw a pic of a guy who used pasti-dip to somehow paint his wheels and it came up looking pretty good, not sure weather he painted it on or dipped it or what. We don't have plasti-dip here in Aus so I'm unfamiliar with it and how it is used.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Summit is Beast!!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No not yet prob going to monday when im off. Im going to use spray in truck bedliner so it will be hard as a rock and not chip.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So i was looking at some lipos tryin to figure out which 1s i wanna get and i noticed the other plug that they have. What is it for? And what else will i have to do in order to use lipos or can i just plug them into a stock summit and go?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 PM
TheKennyKiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

New Summit is available and it has the new TQi radio but apparently it does not have the docking base, that in true traxxas style will be sold separately. But the big news that I am excited about is that the Summit now comes with LOW VOLTAGE DETECTION!!!

Bit of a bummer that I only got my Summit 5 weeks ago but I don't really care about the radio and they did jack up the price a bit. I will be trying to get my hands on one of the new ESCs though, I hope they are churning them out fast enough to accommodate everybody who wants to add one to their Summits.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ESC-Batteries
Old 02-09-2012, 12:47 PM
TheKennyKiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

So i was looking at some lipos tryin to figure out which 1s i wanna get and i noticed the other plug that they have. What is it for? And what else will i have to do in order to use lipos or can i just plug them into a stock summit and go?
Those are the balancing plugs used for balance charging. Do you have a good charger or are you still using the one that came with it?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Summit is Beast!!!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The pos ez peak so ima have to get a new charger i know.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
TheKennyKiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

The pos ez peak so ima have to get a new charger i know.
There's are few options for chargers and you don't have to spend a lot to get a decent one, I have a Surecharge 2010 and it's a good charger but it is a bit pricey and it doesn't have many features. Hyperion also makes some good chargers, again they are pricey but they do have things like storage charge. Then there is the Thunder AC6, this charger is CHEAP but from what I've seen they are great for the money.

If your looking around at different chargers and you just want something that will plug into a wall look for ones that are AC/DC otherwise you will need to buy a power supply to go with it and make sure it has balancing plugs of course

Surecharge 2010. I'm sure you could get a better deal on one of these if you looked around on ebay.
http://www.racers-edge.com/Racers_Ed.../rcesc2010.htm

Hyperion EOS0606I AC/DC Balance Charger
http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0606i-AC-DC.htm

Thunder AC6
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
Old 02-09-2012, 02:01 PM
CR500rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

New Summit is available and it has the new TQi radio but apparently it does not have the docking base, that in true traxxas style will be sold separately. But the big news that I am excited about is that the Summit now comes with LOW VOLTAGE DETECTION!!!

Bit of a bummer that I only got my Summit 5 weeks ago but I don't really care about the radio and they did jack up the price a bit. I will be trying to get my hands on one of the new ESCs though, I hope they are churning them out fast enough to accommodate everybody who wants to add one to their Summits.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ESC-Batteries
That is a rediculous price! Almost 800 bucks just because it has that stupid new radio and a LVC? This sounds like a much better deal! Save $255 http://thebarnfloor.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=2147 And buy this LVC for under 5 bucks shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8S-Battery...item1e6b112b5b
Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 PM
TheKennyKiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know right, it is a bit of a rip off... I just want the ESC so I can be waterproof and still have LVC. Not sure if those are the final prices but the ERBE with the TQi is $20 cheaper then the Summit so something isn't right.

Search this Thread