Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

E Maxx battery tray mods

Old 01-29-2012, 09:20 PM
crispyspa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default E Maxx battery tray mods

OK, I've been doing a little research and I'm finding that all the Lipo batteries that I can afford on Hobby King are 3mm too wide for the battery tray on my E Maxx.
The battery tray is 45mm wide and all the batteries on HK are 49mm.
I cut several blocks of wood to the specs of the batteries I thought would fit. None of them did. I can go to Max Amps site and their batteries spec out to be a perfect fit, but I really don't want to spend $160 on one battery.

I know people are running the Hobby King batteries....what kinds of mods are necessary on the E Maxx 3908 Mamba Monster to fit these odd sized lipos? I want 3 cell to get the full potential out of my E Maxx.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 AM
CR500rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: E Maxx battery tray mods

Dont ever buy maxamps batteries, get some of these. http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html
Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 AM
crispyspa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CR500rider

Dont ever buy maxamps batteries, get some of these. http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html

I saw those but they are almost 11mm too tall to fit. I cut a block of wood to the dimensions of the Gen Ace battery and it rests against the ESC. Do you use the Gen Ace? How do you fit them in there?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:01 AM
crispyspa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[X(] I found a cheap battery that will fit! It's only 4400 MaH, but I can get 4 of them to make up for it.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl4400-3s1p-40c-3333.html
Old 01-30-2012, 11:15 AM
CR500rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have heard good things about those as well.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:06 PM
pyromatic177

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have heard good things about those as well.
You are right i have also. They are VERY good batteries
Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
nitrorcjunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm converting a TMaxx to Mamba Monster power. Glad I stumbled on this thread
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 AM
crispyspa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitrorcjunkie

I'm converting a TMaxx to Mamba Monster power. Glad I stumbled on this thread
You have no restrictions on battery size because there is no battery tray to deal with, You can choose any battery that you want. nice
Have you started a thread on the conversion process?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM
crispyspa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So I went ahead and bought the Max Amps and the Sky Lipos . Please don't bash me for buying the Max Amps....I have my reasons. Customer service is one of them.

I bought the Hyperion charger because I can charge at up to 20 amps (if I had gotten the 24v power supply). With the 12volt, I can go safely push the power supply to 12a. Other chargers I looked at only charged at 6 amps.

Anyway, I made an unboxing video and at the end of the video there is an Installation segment.

Austin and the gang at Max Amps watched the video and are changing the way they build the pack for the E-Maxx. They will be putting the wires in the center of the pack to take advantage of the slot at the end of the battery tray to keep the power wires and balance plug further away from dirt and debris. What other company will change assembly methods to cater to a specific group? Customer service.

I hope they read this and send me (a) free pack(s). LOL

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phDdUWJXYIU[/youtube]
Old 02-09-2012, 01:27 PM
CR500rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

So I went ahead and bought the Max Amps Please don't bash me for buying the Max Amps....I have my reasons. Customer service is one of them.

Austin and the gang at Max Amps watched the video and are changing the way they build the pack for the E-Maxx. They will be putting the wires in the center of the pack to take advantage of the slot at the end of the battery tray to keep the power wires and balance plug further away from dirt and debris. What other company will change assembly methods to cater to a specific group? Customer service.

Did that order come with a tube of Vaseline? And just an FYI, their customer service is not good.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:56 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: crispyspa

So I went ahead and bought the Max Amps Please don't bash me for buying the Max Amps....I have my reasons. Customer service is one of them.

Did that order come with a tube of Vaseline? And just an FYI, their customer service is not good.
Poor Maxxamps, nobody likes them ( ;_; )
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
crispyspa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Truthfully now, what other lipo seller would change an assembly technique to fit the needs of the consumer?

How do you know their service is not good? If you have dealt with them in the past, you may have been rude to them....nobody likes being talked down to.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:39 PM
crispyspa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This may sound dumb to most people, but, I guess I would rather have a portion of my money go to an American worker than have all my money go to China....even if it costs me more. Are Max Amps packs better than others? I don't know, But I do know that they fit without mods to the truck and come with a good warranty and are assembled "in house" by an American business man. To me that's worth it.

I know everyone is looking for the best deal to make their dollar stretch further and I won't slight anyone for doing so, but at what point do we start saying no to our money supporting foreign countries? If we don't at the very least spend some money here in the states, we stand to lose a lot more than a few dollars.

I do buy online, but I also buy from my local hobby shop most of the time, even though they are a bit higher in price. Why? Because that money helps support a local economy, not a foreign one.
Call me a fool or whatever, but that's how I feel.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 AM
CR500rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats cool you want to support USA companies, however maxamps deserves zero support. They are nothing but crooks, liars, and cheats. And why wouldnt they change manufacturing process to please the customer? Its the least they could do. After all they ARE the most expensive batteries in the world, and almost the poorest quality in the world. Im really not trying to flame you. But you will learn about maxamps eventually. Just ask around, or better yet, read this thread: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28314
Old 02-10-2012, 02:02 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Naysayer ^^
Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 AM
crispyspa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats cool you want to support USA companies, however maxamps deserves zero support. They are nothing but crooks, liars, and cheats. And why wouldnt they change manufacturing process to please the customer? Its the least they could do. After all they ARE the most expensive batteries in the world, and almost the poorest quality in the world. Im really not trying to flame you. But you will learn about maxamps eventually. Just ask around, or better yet, read this thread: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28314

That was an eye opening read, but crooks liars and cheats? 90% of companies lie about their products to get sales. It is what it is.

Do I believe they inflate their c ratings to get sales? YES.

Do I believe they are better packs than the others? NO

Do I believe they are worse packs than the others? NO

The main reason I bought my 3s packs from them is because they fit my E-Maxx with no mods to the battery tray. I bought the Sky Lipo as backups to put in the truck so I don't have to stop running to wait for packs to charge. They too should fit my battery tray without mods.

I did not buy an almost $700 truck to cut and hack away at the battery tray, just to make a 3s pack fit.

Go back to my first post, I was asking about a battery tray mod and Hobby King batteries. You posted a link to a battery that would not fit and I asked how I could make it fit and you never answered until I found the Sky lipos for myself.

Please, if you have specific examples of how you were treated by Max Amps, I would love to hear them, but the dealings I've had with them thus far are of the positive sort.

There seem to be a LOT of 2s packs that will fit, but this thread is about 3s.
If anyone else has found cheap 3s batteries that will fit without modding the battery tray, pleas list them here so all the electric Noobs (like me) will have this information.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:02 PM
CR500rider

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Its true maxamps will build a pack to directly fit almost anything, and for people that dont like modifying their truck/car to fit other batteries its great. For me and most others I would rather modify a $30 plastic chassis to fit more reasonably priced (and usually better) battery packs. I will admit that I have never purchased anything from maxamps, although I did try to buy some heatshrink from them over the phone that they had listed on their site, and they flat out told me NO. They told me I had to order from the website with my credit card and have it mailed to my house. I live 5 MILES MILES from maxamps mind you. To me that is HORRIBLE customer relations! And after reading downright horrible customer reviews about their batteries, warranty and customer service why would I ever buy a overpriced battery from them? Too bad I couldnt link you to URC's youtube review of the new maxamps 150c packs, but maxamps threw a fit and made youtube take it down. Why you ask? Because the reveiw was not in favor of maxamps. Heres a link to another thread you should read: http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139612