Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Which is best for a 15 month old and four year old?

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Merv
0%
Revo
0%
Stampede
22.22%
Summit
55.56%
Other
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Which is best for a 15 month old and four year old?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Dayaks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is best for a 15 month old and four year old?

I am looking to for a good traxxas for my children - I plan to use a good tx so I can turn down the max speed significantly. I want it to be able to take toddler beatings. I am split between a merv or revo brushless but am open to other suggestions. I figure if I buy a quality machine they will have it for years (and dad could bash every now and then.) Price isn't too much of a concern.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Zlash03
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Which is best for a 15 month old and four year old?

A four year old and 15 month old? I feel like thats a little young for hobby grade R/C's. Simply because children (especially a 1 year old) dont understand that these things are dangerous at high speeds, expensive, and not totally indestructable. Unless your there to watch them with it and take care of it yourself you WILL be sorry. Simple as that. Plus, why bother paying all that money for a Brushless to have it go 10mph or less for years? Pointless. (I also sort of question your overall knowledge based on your amount of posts and even suggesting something like this)

Especially with crazy machines like a Brushless revo. Then you have to teach them how to charge the LiPo's and what NOT to do with them. You should instead get a car for yourself that you like, and let them use it untill they are older and you get them another one. (Because there are also the odds they will lose interest anyway. They are just kids.)

The other option is to just go to Toys R Us and get a toy grade one for now. Much more cost effective and they wont know the difference because it will be the same speed.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:34 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85780.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	1799378  
Old 09-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Zlash03
My Feedback: (1)

+1 Allday.
ORIGINAL: The_Shark

Old 09-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Dayaks

I was expecting a Toys R Us response. It's usually a good suggestion. I am new to trucks, but have flown helis for some time (which I am selling to fund a more family oriented hobby). I realize the dangers lipos can have if punctured or abused. After doing more research I am leaning towards a Summit with a TQi docking remote so I can adjust maxes. I will be doing all of the battery maintenance and watching them like a hawk if they drive it. My thought was to set it to a comfortable speed (the 4 yr old may be the only one to drive it till the younger one hits two, depends how he matures.) But regardless I still want a truck that will last, be fun to drive in a woody environment, and is capable of advancing as the driver gets more familiar.

My daughter can fly four channel helis quite well and my nephew, who is five, drives a slash and a four channel heli well. I think people can underestimate kids. I will say they have no concept of safety, and why you have to be ready to steal the tx. That being said a Summit 1/10 is massive! But hell, it's a truck, I can just throw the kid on my shoulders!

And it won't always be at 10 mph. Not when dad drives it.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:00 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

I think a Summit with parental supervision would be ideal. You don't need to buy the docking base, you can just put it in training mode which cuts half the power, a Summit at half power is going to be pretty dam slow, plus with the docking base you need to buy the sensors and do some mucking around just to tweak the speed of a truck that only does 15-20mph.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:05 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something from the axial range.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Yeah the Axial Wraith would be good. You can put action figures in the seats so the kids might be more into it.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:20 AM
jayjay283

Summit or brushed revo, you can still run them on 2s lipos, new brushed esc's have lvd. You're in PA ? Snows coming, both those are waterproof ! Winter Fun Fun Fun .. My vote summit, its so big what kid (or adult man child) wouldn't like it
Old 09-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Dayaks

Haha, yeah! Northeast PA near Scranton. I'm sold on the Summit. Running in the snow sounds like a good time. Plus it has lights, kids love lights. Plus I have HV powerlines a block from my house, good crawling territory. Thanks for the suggestions/pointers.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:15 PM
jrowles91

I gave my four year old a Maisto Rock Crawler. It's great for beginner children. He now (4 1/2) has an Emaxx 3906 with stock motors and geared to about 15mph. HE LOVES IT! He asks to go out all the time. More then I have time for. That's my recomendation. 15 months? That's too young I'd think just for the motor skills required. Check into the Maisto Rock Crawler.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Zrock

Nothing wrong with getting young children playing with rc's. my 2 year old has a few of the cheep Walmart crap that she barley plays with. Last weekend I handed her the controls for my savage nitro.  The huge smile on her face was worth it if she would have crashed.  Ya she did have the thing going wide open in a abandon gravel pit. I let her go and just stood back and coached her after a while she was driving slower and had amazing controll of it. I'm a big believer that kids should be able to try anything they want.  The accidents happen when their is no one to help and coach.  That's why my little one knows how to do just about anything.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 AM
Dayaks

That's hilarious. I'd smile too if you handed me the controls to your savage nitro. I ended up buying a summit and tweaking the speed to 10 percent. Does about 3 mph. I also bought lipos, the extra lights and trenchers. Funny story - I turned the throttle down to 10 percent and assumed it was forward and reverse. Reverse is actually the brake... I moved it forward six feet in my hallway, put in full power reverse, popped a wheelie right into my shin. Whoops, hurt for about three days. But that is the exact reason I set it up with no kids around. . It's wrapped in the attic waiting for Christmas morning. Dad can't wait.

My son will be about 19 months at Christmas. Still a wee bit young but I am sure he'll just like playing with it and big sister pulling him around with it. It seems like everyone who has ever owned a summit has a video of it pulling their kids around in either wagons or sleds. I think there's no better use, it was actually a selling point, and will help gain acceptance from the wife.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Zrock

hehehe... now i get to hand her the controlls to a Tmaxx this weekend that i just picked up for cheep. Not even a tank trough it
ORIGINAL: Dayaks

That's hilarious. I'd smile too if you handed me the controls to your savage nitro. I ended up buying a summit and tweaking the speed to 10 percent. Does about 3 mph. I also bought lipos, the extra lights and trenchers. Funny story - I turned the throttle down to 10 percent and assumed it was forward and reverse. Reverse is actually the brake... I moved it forward six feet in my hallway, put in full power reverse, popped a wheelie right into my shin. Whoops, hurt for about three days. But that is the exact reason I set it up with no kids around. . It's wrapped in the attic waiting for Christmas morning. Dad can't wait.

My son will be about 19 months at Christmas. Still a wee bit young but I am sure he'll just like playing with it and big sister pulling him around with it. It seems like everyone who has ever owned a summit has a video of it pulling their kids around in either wagons or sleds. I think there's no better use, it was actually a selling point, and will help gain acceptance from the wife.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 PM
steed2-inactive

Here's my son with his brand new bullhead. He is three and is really smart. He is starting to actually figure out driving. Here's a video of him driving his bullhead . At one point drives onto my flux. Then things go horrible wrong, had he been driving something brushless, but he's fine with brushed and he's running 2s lipo.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=vwc_123qNm8