Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Pinion gear - converted to electric - problem

Old 03-16-2013, 01:21 PM
miggo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion gear - converted to electric - problem

Hi All,

I have a problem that I need some experienced people to help with. Let me start from the beginning.

I got an old t-maxx from a friend that had it sitting on the shelf for years. I got it running and all but I decided to convert it to electric. I ordered all the required parts and set it all up. It works great and is tons of fun.

I put a 18 tooth pinion gear on it which ran the motor too hot so I picked up a couple smaller gears. This is where the problem started. The largest gear that does not create too much heat is a 16 tooth. When I run a 16 tooth or smaller I cannot keep the pinion gear on this thing. I have tried everything that I can think of.

I am using a good quality tool to crank down the set screw and I am getting it TIGHT!
I have used lock tight of all grades
The set screws that come with the pinion gears have pointed ends and I have tried grinding it flat.

The setup:

Castle 1406 - 5700kv motor with a good flat spot on the shaft and the stock spur gear - 78 tooth I believe.

I hate to keep running the larger pinion gear because it drains the battery too fast and I am sure it is not good for the controller or motor.

Any ideas? and if I am in the wrong part of the forum, please point me to the right place

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Pinion gear - converted to electric - problem

A little blue threadlock is all you need, honestly. Very strange problem. Could the spur gear or some kind of mount be warped causing excessive vibration or something? Really clutching at straws, but that's a strange problem you have there.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Mspeed

I have run into pinions sliding down the motor shaft many times with blue loctite. Here is how I have fixed the problem, get the blue loctite that comes in a paste/gel. I use Permatex Medium Strength Threadlocker BLUE Gel. Make sure you clean the shaft and pinion really well, and put a good amount of threadlocker down the set screw hole before you put the set screw in. The threadlocker is pushed down and around the inside of the pinion on the shaft creating a bond to the shaft. In order for me to get the pinion off, I remove the set screw and just hit the throttle one time and it breaks free. If its your set screw that is coming loose, along with loctite you can take a pair of side cutters and crimp the threads on the set screw. If none of that works, you can roughen up the motor shaft with some sand paper and use plenty of loctite. Last resort, line everything up and use a pen to mark the set screw location, then make a small nick (dremel) were the set screw tightens down.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:50 AM
miggo

Thanks guys,

I will try all of this. The vibration theory is most likely the cause.

Since I have already tried the basic loctite approach I will try all of these suggestions until it is resolved.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:29 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heat from the high KV motor will probably melting the loctite.