Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Huge Traxxas Summit

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 AM
malonefamily

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge Traxxas Summit

I am starting my Summit 1/10 build. This is my first hobby grade rc and my first build and need some help. I am looking for some huge wheels and tires . I have some tires i would like to use Interco Super Swamper 40 Series 3.8" TSL/Bogger Scale Tire Part Number Z-T0109 from RC4WD and want to use these wheels Demolisher Universal Beadlock Wheels 14mm, 17mm 23mm Part Number Z-W0137 but not sure if they will fit Summit. I am also dropping a Castle Creation 2028 brushless 780kv motor and Mamba XL2 34v esc . I will be running two 8s lipos. I have ordered the aluminum chassis and motor mount from Kershaw Design so my second problem is i cant find a 32 pitch spur gear with a 8mm center bore to fit this big motor. Thanks for any help
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: page_headers, width: 90%"][/TD]
[TD="align: right"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: borders, width: 1"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: item, colspan: 2"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not going to want to run 32 pitch, mod1 would be a better choice and you may be able to find one in 8mm bore. But most likely you'll have to drill out a 5mm bore pinion or have one custom made. Kershaw makes some oddball pinions and may make an 8mm bore mod1 for you but it'll be plastic. RC-Monster would be a better choice since it'll be a hardenend steel pinion.

Another option is turning down the motor shaft to 5mm. This can be done by running the motor and using a Dremel with a cutting wheel to slowly turn the shaft down. Honestly a Castle 1717 or Leopard 4092 would be a way better choice. Both can be run on 8s and will disintegrate the diff gears or shear the driveshafts just as quickly as the 2028.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Actually just went to Kershaw's site and saw they do in fact have metal 8mm bore mod1 pinions.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:42 AM
malonefamily

Thanks for the help i will probably drill a 5mm pinion out to 8mm so i can keep my stock plastic spur gear .Mainly so this big motor eats a cheap spur gear instead of my entire driveline, With a 5mm pinion i can keep gearing down because i want torque not speed. The 8mm gears start at 18 teeth my stock was 14 teeth . If i go with Mod 1 i will then have to find a Mod 1 spur gear that fits the Summit so either way i'm looking for a needle in a hay stack. I sent Kershaw Design an email asking if they had a 32 pitch pinion but no response as of yet. I'm hoping somebody can machine one for around 30 to 40 bucks.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Actually finding a mod1 spur that fits has been done, I seem to remember Kimbrough and MGT spurs fitting. Just a heads up, if you gear the 780kv 2028 with 18t pinion and 62t spur on 8s your top speed will be 24mph. The massive torque of the system with that gearing probably isn't going to be easy to drive and definitely not easy on the drivetrain. I also doubt you'll be able to use this gearing due to clearance issues but I'm not familiar with the Kershaw mount so I don't know for sure. Plastic spur gears aren't going to protect the rest of the drivetrain. I had an E-revo, I only ran plastic spur gears and have killed those diffs with way less power than you're planning on. Shim those diffs as best you can and don't use those Teflon washers. Well good luck

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 09-25-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:33 AM
malonefamily

Now and the future
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	1937890   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1494
Size:	2.54 MB