Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo Big Block 2014

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 AM
RC Rehab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo Big Block 2014

I know this has been discussed before but I am having a hard time finding up to date info. I am looking to go big block with my revo. The eye candy I am looking at is the lrp 28 spec 3. What I can't find is anything but a traxxas big block mount. I was trying to find a new era or Quoncepts mount but I'm not even sure either of them are in business. I am aiming to keep a pull start or roto start on it. My other option that makes life easier is the picco 26 with their mount but I would like to go bigger. The lrp 28 seems like it has all the power I need plus some. Any advice? Are there other motor and mounts I am missing that would allow me to use a pull or roto start? I'm not a racer but a basher and would like something reliable and long lasting rather that something that goes like nuts for a couple gallons then needs a rebuild. Any help that can be offered to help would be appreciated.

Edit. Looks like the picco 26 max is discontinued. Here's 2 others I'm looking at. Does anyone know if the ofna revo mount works with either of these motors?

Picco Boost 5TR 2012 .28 Off Road Engine (Turbo Plug)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ine-Turbo-Plug

I'm pretty sure this one does but I'd rather have the first one.

OFNA JL .28 Max 4-Port Pull Start Nitro Engine

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...t-Nitro-Engine

The first engine has almost half a HP over the Jl.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some advice to a relative noob to the hobby.

Last edited by RC Rehab; 01-08-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Addition to the post
Old 01-08-2014, 02:23 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

http://neweramodels.mybigcommerce.co...big-block-kit/

You can't use a starter box with this but pullstarts and rotos work fine.

Don't bother looking at HP numbers when comparing engines, most of it is a bunch of BS. I'd love to try that picco boost 28 out myself but the Ofna JL 28 is probably fine as well. Both these engines will provide more power than you really need. You may consider upgrading
the transmission and driveshafts if you go with one of these engines. Everyone has there own opinions about how to approach the big blocks so do your research. There is a good cnc mount you can get on ebay that will run the picco 26 max and ofna JL 28 and retain the ability to use the starter box.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 PM
RC Rehab

Do you have a link to the CNC mount on Ebay? All I have been able to find is the New Era which I have ordered but still have not received shipping confirmation. I also saw there is the traxxas kit but I get mixed reviews about that. Then there is the OFNA mount which I feel might be best. From what I can tell is that the motors listed above would both work with the OFNA mount and still allow a starting solution. I would honestly preffer to use a rotostart over a starter box anyways for the ease and convenience of carrying a roto start out to where the truck stalls rather than a starter box. (I also already have the rotostart unit anyways so bonus there)

I'm still hoping that I can get the new era mount as I hear a lot of good things about them but I feel I may be out of luck as they haven't responded to my request for a shipping update. This would allow me to run nearly any engine I choose without issue of the a-arms.

For the time being I have ordered a nearly new Picco .26 with the OFNE revo mount which will go in one of my Revos. The other I am still trying to figure out what to do with. If the OFNA mount will allow me to run one of the .28's I was looking at with a roto start, great. If not, I have nothing against using a starter box. Just one more expense I would like to get away from.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFNA-51531-2...item5af7935c41

it fits 26 and the 28