Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Less voltage = more power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:21 PM
phlip96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Less voltage = more power?

I know, it seems backwards but a 7 cell nimh is 8.4v while a 2 cell lipo is 7.4v

I read how people are switching to lipo and love it, get wheelies and a quicker response. How is it when it's less voltage therefore giving the motor less power?

I understand the mah is how LONG the battery will run and the voltage is how much PUSH the battery gives.

Please explain Yes, I am a newb. I am also an electrician so the science is comprehensible. I don't mind being schooled and taught this and that so open up the doors and I'll have my flame suit on for the bashers

Last edited by phlip96; 01-09-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:29 PM
phlip96

That awkward moment when you realize this is in the wrong section
Old 01-09-2014, 03:24 PM
phlip96

All these views and no response Either they're just passerby's or not willing to share the wisdom.
I could chalk it up as a new technology for the answer, but the volts don't lie!
Old 01-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Big Alice

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

A lipo will discharge it's amps a whole lot faster than a nmhd will. Huge difference. With a nmhd your motor is starving for amps. A lipo lets it eat, so to speak.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:35 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

More amps and less weight
Old 01-11-2014, 05:38 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

power is volts times amps

The reason lipos seem to have more power is because they don't drop as much volts under load and they are at a higher voltage throught the discharge cycle.
when comparing there voltage through there cycle, the Nimh looses a lot more volts over its capacity.

Example a fully charged 2s lipo Is 8.4v (4.2v per cell)
and a 50% charged lipo is still 7.6v (3.8v per cell)

So u could say 1/2 way through running ur car a 2s lipo would of only lost 0.8v where a Nimh would of lost a lot more and the car would be very noticeably slower

What ive seen....
for the first few minutes on a brushed setup a brand new 7cell nimh, it will be more powerful than a lipo. but only for those first few minutes.

I don't know if u have ever noticed.....Nimh start of great and as u drives it gets slower and slower and slower...until its flat
where a lipo does not really start doing that until its nearly flat. u don't get that drop in performance like nimh batteries