Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

trx eng break in

Old 04-12-2014, 08:40 AM
peterkd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trx eng break in

i was asked about the trx 3.3 the other day.. mine is a power house and has run 10 gal of fuel thru it and just now showing sihn that it needs a new pisto and sleeve... well my method of break in and after care is critical and this procedure will work on ANY motor !!!!!!!!
first off a new motor is just that.. a new motor its been turned a few time at the factor and thats about it ..
the very first thing i do to my motor is check the carb settings .. I NEVER TOUCH THEM... leave that thing be ..
no 2.. istall the eng .. i unplug the thro serv.. this is so it is blocked and im not tempted top rev it to keep it running .. the next thing i do pre heat the block with a heat gun to 180%.. .. then i simply fire the eng up and using 20% fuel run a tank at idle . this usually takes a few restarts (9 is the record for mine) but dont rev the motor .. after this.. step let the eng cool completely..
the second time pre heat and idle again you will notice the thing will smoke like crazy dont do nothing but let this run thru .. again let it cool completely
. the third tank you will notice the idle has changed .. but this is a good thing this is when i start to load the eng a lil bit .. you want it to smoke for this part the more the better .. i acually like to richin the mix by about 5 to 10 %!!!and i use 2 drops of marvel oil and turn the motor over for a coupl seconds .. i preheat it again then start it i run the truck at half throttle in small smooth burst i never let it go into second gear.. i do this for 2 tanks
finally the tuning ..
your 5th tank you will notice that it is not smoking like it was before this simply means the the piston and sleave are seating . now dont get to carried away and lean the motor out to much if its smokin its lubin a motor that dont smoke wont last ..
i only turn the mix screw in 1/4 of a turn since the motor needs a total of 7 tanks to break in we are safe to start tweeking it .
again 2 drops marvel oil pre heat and now 3/4 throttle no more and in short burst look carefull if its not spitting oil on the ground richin it up a little .. it is very important that the motor is wasting fuel .. you will also notice that now this motor is building up alot more power .. tank 7 is the majic number here on the side of the slide carb the mix needle should be flush with the rest of the body its only like a half turn IN . your eng should feel much harder to turn by hand also youll notice a light but nice trail of smoke behind the truck not a fog of it as before .. your eng is now broken in to perfection .. i use after run in all my gas rigs followed by 2 drops of marvel mystery oil .. i simply put it in and cycle the starter then put it away like i sayed i get 2 yrs out of my motors and or more depending if im racing or bashing .. hope you all can use this info ..feel free to ask me any thing im not the best out here and if i can answer i will if not ill damn sure find out for ya .