Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

MY TMAXX CONVERSION TO ETMAXX 1700kv build

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:40 AM
ETMAXX1700KV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY TMAXX CONVERSION TO ETMAXX 1700kv build

hello all

this is my first r/c. Im 32 and pretty much living out a child hood dream. I got my tmax 3.3 4909 from my brother for $200($120 made back selling parts). He got it off somebody for that much and never got to run it. do to it not starting or running right ect.. I always told myself im a get it from him one day as it was just sitting around now. I was browsing craigslist and i seen somebody selling a converted tmaxx. That right there sparked my journey into going electric and brushless. on a side note years ago i told myself once i get the money i want to build some electric vehicles starting with gokart, then buggy and car. now it looks like im starting with an r/c instead. well ive been doin hella research ect trying to figure which way i was going to go on the build that was least financially burdening but still was not to cheap either. long story short a super brushles etmaxx for a fraction of the price. well i came up with that it seems like i want to run 6s ultimately once i get experienced and will start out on 3s. well lets move on to parts list

how2rc new mount $40
skyrc toro 1700kv x8st $73
xerun 150a esc $99 (still need to purchase)
2x3s ******* 5.0 30c $75 (ntp)
robinson racing foc kit $23
22t mod1 pinion for topshaft of transmission $13
34t mod1 pinion for 2nd gear single speed $6
44t mod1 rr spur left over from tmaxx
21t/22/23t mod1 pinion gears for motor $25
36t mod1 spur just for more options plus if the 21t+ spurs dont fit with 44t spur $16
2xofna 40946 battery tray $24
battery charger idk yet

i think thats about all i have/will have purchased just to get it running. I will be upgrading alot more in the future cvd's, telemetry ect.

i dont know nothing about gearing. i just knew i had a 44t spur to start with and using the speed calculator decided on 21t+.
i plan on doing speed runs and general bashing. if nothing else i know the transmission is all steal/bulletproof for under $45

i know my gearing is for speed runs. according to calculator i should be hitting around 38mph on 3s and double that on 6s with 44/23 and 50mph 3s 100+ 6s with 36/23(dont never plan on trying the tmaxx that fast). but im thinking with the 1700kv motor (torque)it should be just as fun bashing as well. im not sure what spur and pinion setup i will end up running. i just want to have a lot of fun with out burning nothing up

I want to give a big thanks to humayrayakongkinaon for his build thread and his pm's, in helping me figure out the most cost effective way to lock my 3.3 transmission in 2nd gear and making it tougher by changing out 2nd and topshaft gears into pinion gears.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:41 AM
ETMAXX1700KV

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-20-2014, 03:42 AM
ETMAXX1700KV

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For someone new to the hobby you are doing a very well thought out and correct conversion. There is one area of concern and that is the gearing. One thing of note is that once you start going over about 35mph monster truck tires will expand in diameter. This will obviously change your top speed and increase the load on the motor.

The other area of concern is your voltage choice and the speeds. Running 6s for speed runs of 70+mph is fine as long as you understand the motor will heat up fairly quickly and will require time to cool down. The bigger worry is your choice of 3s and gearing for about 40mph for regular running. Your motor is a 1/8 motor suited for the size of the truck, but all motors will pull a certain wattage depending on vehicle weight, gearing, aerodynamic drag and whatever other variable that constitutes a load on the motor. Wattage = Volts X Amps. Less voltage equals more amp draw from the motor, through the esc. More amps equals more heat in those components and also more strain on the batteries to supply those amps. It is possible to run 3s in a Maxx since its fairly light, but generally the top speed needs to be closer to 30mph to keep the load on the motor low enough so everything doesn't get too hot. It may work, but I doubt it and recommend watching motor and esc temps carefully with a temp gun anytime you run a new combination. For the Maxx 4s is the better choice when you want to gear for 40mph.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 07-20-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:22 PM
ETMAXX1700KV

thank you so much for responding. that is exactly why i posted. to seek knowledge/info from the more experienced. What you are saying on gearing was kinda of what i was thinking from all the stuff i was reading. I will again probably start with 44/21 gears. I will keep a eye on temps. as i see thats one thing everybody tries to pay close attention to. if i come into some money along they way i will install telemetry system. I will eventually be getting some better bashing and street tires. I guess i really plan on running 6s most of the time after i get experienced with driving it. thanks again for reply
Old 07-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem. The hobby is more fun when you share knowledge and helping to prevent others from making the same frustrating mistakes you have. The tires in the pics are Traxxas Talons and they're actually a pretty good street/grass tire if you ask me. They do ok in the dirt too. I've never been one to buy a dedicated street tire, seems like a waste to me. Also all tires will expand with speed (called ballooning) since none are steel belted or anything. The only way to prevent ballooning is by taping the inside of the tire, strapping tape or gorilla tape are the most popular used. Just be sure to balance them after tapping because they can wobble quite a bit.

Checking temps is is very important for new combinations or with drastic (initial setup in winter and running in the summer) weather changes. Temps indicate the load on the motor and esc letting you know what you can or need to do with gearing. Too hot and the motor's magnets will lose their magnetism and the esc can go up in smoke. Telemetry on your radio is great but not necessary. Check temps every few minutes for the first couple battery packs and in different terrain. After a few runs you'll get a feel for how fast the motor heats up and will check it less and less during a run until you're satisfied temps will stay safe through a whole run.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:12 PM
ETMAXX1700KV

got my 21/22/23t pinion gears in. so now I have motor and transmission mounted running 44/21 mod 1 gears. I had to move the shock to the outer most top hole, If that wouldnt have worked i wouldve use shock tower brace(where shock is positioned in pic). also have battery trays mocked up. main things still need are xerun 150a esc, batteries and charger(i am accepting donations). Trying to find a good used xerun seen some go for $60 shipped on other forums. Well hope yall like!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM
ETMAXX1700KV

thanks. next thing i will be doing is taping tires.