Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Turnbuckles help help help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 05:56 AM
bradjones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnbuckles help help help

Ok so I haven't had any help with this matter and went and bought some turnbuckles off traxxas.

I have a traxxas tmaxx and I have bought the unlimited engineering ext suspension which didn't come with turn buckles!!

so I figured out the front ones off my 3.3 fit the back but the front one is way long,

i just bought some titanium ones for the front and relised they won't fit the rod ends I have.....

Tra2339x they are 105mm and I can't find out anywere if they are 3,4,5mm I think their 3mm at a guess.

my query is buying rod ends to fit, they are a optinal part for the original turnbuckles for the 2.5maxx so I'm pretty lost in it all and wondering if anyone could help me pleaseeeee

thanks a lot brad
Old 02-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Maxximize

I think that kit is meant to be used with Unlimited Engineering's own turnbuckles and ends. The EXT suspension is about 1.5" wider than the stock 3.3 Maxx suspension set up if I remember correctly. I can't seem to find the titanium turnbuckles Unlimited makes, but they do have the ends for sale on their site, here. If the Unlimited turnbuckles are the ones you have, then those will work with them. If possible and you don't have them, I'd try to find the Unlimited turnbuckles and just use them with Unlimited turnbuckle ends. Without using a micrometer, it's pretty hard to determine what diameter the ones you have are, so you may have to go get one and mic it up to find that out.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:30 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxximize
I think that kit is meant to be used with Unlimited Engineering's own turnbuckles and ends. The EXT suspension is about 1.5" wider than the stock 3.3 Maxx suspension set up if I remember correctly.
I've never had any UE suspension kit (so wish Indid though) but I doubt its that much wider than a "wide" (2.5 and 3.3) Maxx. UE made the EXT and RacerX to fit within MT racing rules, a "wide" Maxx is already near the maximum width. I don't know which turnbuckles the UE EXT kit uses but I'd imagine they are either custom length UE or Pro.15 narrow turnbuckles. The EXT kit was designed as a way to widen Pro.15 trucks before Traxxas made "wide" Maxx trucks from the factory so it may have used Pro.15 length turnbuckles.

A quick aside on the width of Maxx trucks. With stock wheels and tires installed a 2.5 and 3.3 are the same width as measured at the tires and wheels. Take the wheels off and measure from the mounting surface of the wheel bed and the 3.3 is a little wider because of the knuckles. Traxxas reduced the offset in TMaxx 3.3 (and Revo) wheels to keep the same width so it would also stay legal in stock form for MT racing classes.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Maxximize

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
I've never had any UE suspension kit (so wish Indid though) but I doubt its that much wider than a "wide" (2.5 and 3.3) Maxx. UE made the EXT and RacerX to fit within MT racing rules, a "wide" Maxx is already near the maximum width. I don't know which turnbuckles the UE EXT kit uses but I'd imagine they are either custom length UE or Pro.15 narrow turnbuckles. The EXT kit was designed as a way to widen Pro.15 trucks before Traxxas made "wide" Maxx trucks from the factory so it may have used Pro.15 length turnbuckles.
Ah yes, good points there it probably does use old school parts. Either that or it will only work properly with Unlimited's own turnbuckes and knuckles. One way to figure out exactly what you need is to fit everything you have, and then measure the distance from the knuckles to the bulkhead where they mount, then convert to metric if using an SAE tape. IF you can ballpark that measurement, it will be a lot easier to figure out what you have and may need to get it all set up properly. If you purchased new 3.3 spec Maxx turnbuckle rods, then you'd just need 3.3 spec ends. I think the 3.3 rods are thicker than the older 2.5 and Pro .15 trucks were.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:42 PM
bradjones

Yes your right they are a lot thicker, the rods from the 3.3, I did have a fully assembely tmaxx 3.3 extended chassis, and have bought these as a upgrade, the trx turnbuckles I got were a good fit with the rod ends off a 2.5maxx, & to answer the question about width, it is around the same width as the 3.3, though the tb's are longer on the 3.3.

back to the issue anyways, these ti turnbuckles are like 3mm and I have the 3.3 ones on the rear which are way thicker, so it looks kinda odd :s. Think I want the lunsford racing turnbuckle kit 3801 I.d but it is expensive at £40. + shipping :/ from U.S??
Old 02-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Maxximize

You could go the Lunsford route, they make some excellent parts. I have recently installed their titanium A arm pins on my Maxx, and I feel a lot better about it's overall durability even though I haven't driven the truck and hit anything with it yet Anyways, if I understand you correctly the ones you ordered are for the T Maxx classic, which are 102mm rear turnbuckes according to my Google search. I looked around a bit, and it seems that the 2.5 Classic turnbuckles are the ones you want for the EXt kit, but I'm not really sure as information is hard to find on that kit. I'd try and get a stock 2.5 set and see if it fits. If it does, then you know what to get and you'll have extra parts, if not, you're not out much money. Get the rod ends for the 2.5 Maxx as well, it never hurts to have more of those around either!
Old 04-09-2015, 11:18 AM
bradjones

Hi maximise, yeah I did buy some which were for the TMAXX 2.5 and they did fit, but I don't like them miss matching, I do like the lunsford kit, they have a lot with the hinge pins and turnbuvkles (4801) which I'm pretty sure would be the right length for the Ue kits, just to add I did buy the 102mm tb and they worked for the front steering.