Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

1/8 power system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:06 PM
toxicconfusionz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 power system?

Hello all! I'm new but hear me out. In converting my Tmaxx to brushless (just because it was sitting around) I did the forward only and single speed conversions but I'm torn on the power system. From reading I see I'm going to trash driveshafts and probably diffs too but I can deal with that as it happens. I'm wondering if anyone has input on a motor to use? Around 2200kv seems good from what I know already but will a 1/8 setup just be total overkill? Just worried about temps on a 1/10 or am I worried for nothing? I know if the motor and/or batt aren't up to the task all the gearing I throw at it wouldn't any. Sorry for being long winded, any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:26 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your TMaxx has the thinner 2.5 shafts then yeah you're going to twist them up especially with 1/8 power.

Heat is determined by motor efficiency and amp draw. Amp draw is determined by the load placed on the motor. Load is determined by vehicle weight, gearing and the terrain being run on. You could have a TMaxx with a standard 540 size motor be fine on 2s if it's geared for about 20-25mph and run mostly on the street. If you want to go faster you need more power.

To get more power you need a bigger motor. Larger diameter and/or longer motors have more power. Standard 1/10 540 motors are 36mm diameter and about 50mm long. 1/8 motors are 40-42mm diameter and at least 65mm long. There are larger 1/10 motors such as the Castle 1410 and 1415 and SCT 550 motors that have more power and are meant for heavier (6-7lb) vehicles. The Castle 1415 on 3s (or even 4s) could be geared for more like 30-35mph (guesstimate) on most terrain in a vehicle like your TMaxx.

In my experience you're better off having more power than you need though. I'd much rather turn down the power with esc settings than worry about heat and ruining the more expensive electronics. You could also run a 1/8 system on 3s to reduce the power a bit and still have it run cooler than a 1/10 system would on 3s.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:25 AM
toxicconfusionz

Thanks, 1/8 it is. Makes sense to have it and not need it. Once I get the cash I'll see how it goes
Old 03-17-2015, 05:59 PM
toxicconfusionz

Oh, btw...if anyone that comes across this cares to know, my monster mount came today from how2rc. It is a pretty solid piece, I'm pleased. It interferes with a 70 tooth spur but there again I'm certain it's too many teeth anyway. I haven't looked into what the final drive of the trans is as it sits I'm just gathering parts at the moment
Old 04-15-2015, 11:38 AM
vr6vdub

I have about 20 packs through my converted revo and have not had any drivetrain issues. Just be easy with the throttle from a stop and you should be good.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:45 PM
toxicconfusionz

I don't trust my throttle finger lol I tend to get carried away. What setup are you running? I ordered a tacon 4076 2250kv. It'll be my 3rd tacon and for what I do with my I've haven't had any complaints about them
Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 AM
vr6vdub

Mamba Monster 2200kv

I did shear a screw pin the the transmission this weekend but that's been it so far. *fingers crossed*