Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Stampede XL-5

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:06 PM
Maxximize

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampede XL-5

Hey guys I'm looking at getting a new electric monster truck in the near future to go with my nitro collection. I want something that's 4x4 and decent off road, preferably 1/10 scale or larger, and around $300 or less. The mini trucks look like fun but they look like they are to hard to control and don't perform very well off road. So far I've found only the Stampede 4x4 XL-5 and the Savage XS, both 1/10 scale and around the same price. I do not plan to run LiPO at this time in whatever I get as it takes too much maintenance and the batteries cost too much for the amount of use this truck will get. Brushed or brushless does not really matter at this time as I won't be running LiPO of course. Which truck is the better choice for handling characteristics and off road capability? The Stampede has it over the Savage right now because it comes with a battery, better tires, and looks better. If I were to get the Savage and run it on NiMH, would it be any faster than the brushed Stampede? And if I get the Stampede, what is a good brushed replacement for the stock motor? I've heard the Titan 12 turn motors don't last all that long, so I would like to buy a new motor soon after getting the truck in preparation for it's death. Are there any good mods to do to these trucks before running them such as gearing changes, heat sinks, etc? As I said I'm leaning toward the Stampede right now but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:09 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Savage will blow monkey chow on NIMH. It is best run on LI-PO. I have a Stampede 4X4 and I replaced the 12 T motor with a 21 T motor. It is slower but I get up to 1 hour on the 3000mah battery that comes with it.