Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

buying brand new EMAXX brushed,

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying brand new EMAXX brushed,

i am planning to buy a brand new emaxx next week, and have a few questions, i decided to buy a new one because of how expensive the used ones are on ebay, but any way my first question is it worth going to the 775 titan motor right away? i had a tmaxx and a savage 4.6 with an STS .31 in it so i need more power than the stock 550s will do, i cant afford the 600 dollar price tag on the brushless version at the moment i'll be using tower hobbies easy pay for the brushed version, next question are there any weakpoints on the new version of the truck? i was planning to go straight to RPM true track rear set up, and RPM arms in front with RPM steering hub,and also aluminum shock towers for front and back,

Pretty much to sum it up, any weak points that need to be replaced right off the bat for bashing besides what i listed, drivetrain wise? i was going to go to a steel spur but was not sure what gearing to go to if i went the 775 titan motor route, eventually i will go brushless, i have never owned an emaxx and that is reason im asking, also would it be worth it going to two 2s lipos for a single 775? or would that be over kill
Old 08-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a love hate relationship with Maxx trucks. I love them as they got me back into the hobby, they're a fun monster truck to drive, tons of aftermarket, they take to custom modifications well, etc. I hate them because they're kinda weak and the modifications snowball very quickly. Put on RPM arms and now the bulkheads break. Put on aluminum bulkheads and now the hinge pins bend and the shock tower breaks. Btw there's no commercially available hinge pins that won't bend (you gotta make your own from ejector pins, Google Tmaxx ejector pins) and bent pins are a special kind of hell to get out of aluminum bulkheads. I did enjoy the Maxx trucks I've had but I'm never going back to one when I can have a better truck for less than the total investment of a Maxx that's been upgraded.

Steel spurs aren't worth it in my opinion. Stock plastic will hold up to 6s with much more powerful brushless motors as long as the gear mesh is set properly. I know from experience. As for the rest of the drivetrain, it will hold up just fine to a 775, and even brushless on 4s. On brushless the plastic axles will wear out and when they do that's when it's time to upgrade to metal cvd's. The diffs are marginal with higher power brushless setups but they can be made better with proper shimming and aluminum outer cases. Not something you need to worry about with a 775.

As for the rest of the truck, the suspension arms, the bulkheads and the skid plates are the major weak points. Never go aluminum on the arms, always RPM as they flex, aluminum will bend or break the bulkhead. Never used RPM bulkheads only aluminum but the RPM's seem to get good reviews. From what I hear FLM makes the best aluminum skid plates, but if you can find titanium ones they're even better. Aluminum skids will bend and they're not fun to bend back. Titanium skids flex but retain their shape, Look for Great Assembly as I think they still make theirs or check eBay for used Hardcore Racing (HCR) skids. Stay away from other titanium skids (especially Integy) as they don't use the good titanium alloy.

Batteries. If you want the longest run times and the most power out of whatever motor(s) you have then go lipo. Hit the throttle and the voltage of whatever battery you have drops. NiMh will have more voltage drop than lipos will resulting in slower acceleration and lower top speed. Lipo is the best choice, even for brushed motors.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since i posted this thread i have changed my mind on the emaxx after much research, and lack of funds, i believe im going to buy a 1/16 e revo vxl, and two 2s 2200mah lipos and full rpm control arms for it and hubs, and aluminium rocker arms for the suspension, and some better tires and a cooling heatsink/fan on the stock brushless motor, also got both connectors parallel and series for running two normal batts together, i come out way cheaper and to be honest i dont have the room to run a 1/10 scale truck with a high top speed and no where to bash it as its pretty flat around here but the mini e revo i got plenty of space to open it up and really have fun with it, and since im changing the subject to the 1/16 e revo, i think the parts i have picked out for it for a start is good again RPM control arms all around, RPM hubs all around, aluminium suspension rocker arms, and 2 1600 non lipos and two 2s 2200mah lipos, to get me started, now some of the upgrade i was iffy about are these, the hardened steel transmission gear set, hardened steel axles and CVDs, the center diff upgrade, and titanium steering turnbuckles, and possibly upgraded skidplates to protect every thing underneth, i'll be using this for bashing around the yard small jumps and want it to be fast but also pretty tough, so id like to keep it as light as possible but tough and i know going to all these hardened steel parts will add a bit of weight but i can make up for it with the lipos i think, is it safe to run a 3s lipo on the stock brushless esc would be safe?