Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Exclamation Are the Traxxas ESC's really designed to handle 3s?

So I've had my brand new Stampede 4x4 VXL for about a week. I've ran it a few times on the supplied 8.4v Nihm battery pack, and 2 times on the 2s Lipo that I have. It ran fine...it's a new truck, so I'm just cruising it around....trying not to run it hard and break it just yet.

Well, I decided to give a 3s lipo a try tonight.....even though I know if I run it hard, it's going to break parts. So....I just ran it up and down the street a few times..probably around 1/2-3/4 throttle. I ran if for around 2 min, when I noticed the motor started cogging really bad when I wanted to take off. So when I pulled the body off to see what was going on, I noticed that the ESC was puffing white smoke, and super hot!! The motor wasn't super hot, but it was warmer than normal. After it cooled down, I plugged the battery back in and the ESC instantly started smoking again.

I called Traxxas and they are going to replace the ESC and motor just to be on the safe side. But it stinks that I'm going to be out of a truck for a few weeks.....oh well.

So are the Traxxas ESC's really that weak? Why would it cook when running a 3s just for a few minutes under light throttle? The thing is rated for 3S...it should take the higher amp draw right?? Not sure I ever want to try a 3s again after I get my new ESC and motor back.

Did I just get a bad one? Or are the Traxxas ESC's just that weak of a design?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Running any motor at less than full throttle, puts the ESC to work. All that energy in the battery has to be restricted by the speed control to give you different speeds. Otherwise, it would be an on/off switch. Some of that restriction of energy is turned into heat. I don't think heat is the issue though as the over heat protection would have kicked in. Yes?

As far as the quality of the VXL-3s speed control...I think you just got a dud.
    Team KnoBBy LarGe LuGs Driver: GET OUT THERE AND THROW SOME DIRT!!!
    If it has dirt throwing capabilities...I want one!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yeah, for such a pricey truck (close to $500), I'm really disappointed that Im already having problems with it. It's probably got less than an hour of really easy run time on it.....and then the ESC starts smoking. Hopefully Traxxas gets me some new parts ASAP So I can start running the truck again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by imq707s View Post
    Yeah, for such a pricey truck (close to $500), I'm really disappointed that Im already having problems with it. It's probably got less than an hour of really easy run time on it.....and then the ESC starts smoking. Hopefully Traxxas gets me some new parts ASAP So I can start running the truck again.
    Traxxas has been around for 30 years. They support their products very well and take care of their customers.
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
    Traxxas has been around for 30 years. They support their products very well and take care of their customers.
    Yes, I agree. I'm not worried about their customer service...so far they have been great. I'm wondering if I should run the new ESC they send me on 3s again when I get it just to make sure I don't have another bad ESC and it goes up in smoke again...at least if it smokes again it will still be under their 30day warranty. After doing a quick search on Google....it looks like the VXL ESC's going up in a puff of white smoke has happened to quiet a few people. Does the company that makes the ESC's for Traxxas just have that bad of quality control?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thinks break , it happens.
    It's how the company responds and handles it that makes the difference. I understand how frustrating it can be but imaging how frustrated you would be if you were getting nowhere with the company !

Running on 3-cells comes with a cost and responsibility. You easily break more of the truck with all of that power especially if you don't thoroughly check things like the slipper clutch setting, gear mesh, etc...
    Plus if you don't have the correct pinion and spur set-up for running 3-cell packs you will surely overheat the motor and/or esc.
    It's not as simple as throwing a 3-cell pack in and just running it. You need to make sure you have everything set-up correctly and monitor the motor and esc temps after each run when changing voltage, pinion, spur, etc...
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yes, I understand that heat is the enemy when on 3s....but why do they put a high temp shutdown function on the ESC if it allows the ESC to get hot enough to smoke?

Oh well....Traxxas will get me some new parts, so that's great. Maybe I will just stick to 2s from now on. From the short amount of time I ran it on 3s....even 3/4 throttle was nuts and almost unusable.