Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Budget Engine for Tmaxx?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:51 PM
BrickitSAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget Engine for Tmaxx?

Hello, I posted this on the Glow Engines forum and 1QwkSport2.5r told me that it would be better in another sub-forum so I am posting it here.
I have a friend getting into the hobby and he bought a used T-maxx 2.5 but it came with the old .15 engine, he gave it to me to rebuild for him because it was full of gunk and had low feeling compression, so I rebuilt it basically new for him but the low compression was not fixed by cleaning it out. I looked at the cylinder sleeve, and sure enough, it was worn a lot and I was about to push the piston all the way through with almost no effort, so to replace that would be about $30, but he is now thinking of buying a new engine that's more powerful. I have a 3.3 engine and I think its pretty good but it's pretty pricey to buy, so I started looking on Ebay for cheaper replacement engines that were more powerful, I found a two but IDK if they are worth it, one is redcat and I have heard that their RC's are junk but what about their engines?
one's a XTM .18 engine, the other is the Modified 02060 VX 18 2.74CC engine.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:09 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

FWIW - all of the engines you listed are made by the same company (SH/Golden Lion). Redcat uses SH branded engines, but SH also makes LRP, Losi/Mach, XTM, VX (I'm fairly sure they make VX), and a plethora of others. Don't pay more than $75-90 for one of these NEW. I do not know who Traxxas has manufacture their engines. They claim they do it themselves, but I doubt it. If you're looking for cheap; go to a Traxxas 2.5. If the truck has the Pro .15 engine currently, you'll need the engine mount for the 2.5, the proper carb linkage, manifold, and pipe. The flywheel and clutch should fit the 2.5 and the other engines listed as well.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2.5 is a good upgrade and you can probably find a good used one for dirt cheap. That's what's in mine and it rips pretty good- upgrading the stock clutch to the torque control clutch is also a great investment that helps put more positive power to the ground instead of wasting it with having to spool the clutch up.

Last edited by Xpress; 09-14-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:26 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I wouldn't suggest buying a used RC truck engine destined for a new guy. Too often used engines are clapped out and the operator is none the wiser.