Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Diff oil confusion

Old 01-12-2018, 05:48 PM
tazzzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Diff oil confusion

Iím a little confused with diff oil products. What with the CST number? Iím looking to find the right silicon diff oils for my KRATON,,the TALION,and now for my newly purchased traxxas X MAXX. what are the actual weights of these oils. Iím trying to decide what to use but I just donít understand the CST thing. I need all the help on this matter. I want to diff oil in all my unit and need to know what to put where. Iím new to this car sport coming from airplanes,, thanks in advance..TAZZZZ
Old 01-13-2018, 04:46 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How thick a fluid is (viscosity) is typically reported in centistokes (cSt). The higher the number the thicker the fluid.
Oil Viscosity - How It's Measured and Reported
Old 01-13-2018, 04:49 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sometimes it's difficult to setup your RC if your manual does not specify what fluids are in the diffs. A lot of times diffs come with just grease on the gears...leaving it up to you to decide what type of performance you want from both ends of your platform. The X-Maxx comes with 10k/30k (front/rear). Having a RC platform with a center diff adds to complexity/adjustability, but you only have to worry about the front and rear diffs with the X-Maxx. The manual has a nice little section talking about effects of different diff fluid thicknesses.

Download the Hudy Off-Road setup book:https://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/...2db171c4582f27
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diff oil.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	2250914  

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-13-2018 at 05:16 AM. Reason: added link & info
Old 01-13-2018, 05:20 AM
tazzzz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the comeback,,really appreciate it. I’m just trying to decide a good oil combination for all three of my units. I’m not a heavy bashed (light duty),, I run a lot of street stuff etc.,,,I guess I’ll go buy the average what everyone else is running,,although I did figure out the center diff evens out the drive to both axles, ,I like that aspect. Again thanks.

Search this Thread