Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Slash 4x4 MT ESC / Motor Upgrade

Old 06-04-2018, 08:10 PM
GotNoRice

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Slash 4x4 MT ESC / Motor Upgrade

My RC is a Stampede 4x4 which has been lengthened using a Slash 4x4 HCG chassis and uses an E-Maxx body. I am running a Mamba Max Pro with a 4-pole Castle 1415 2400kv (older non-sensored version), geared 17/54. Most of the time I run on 3s, sometimes on 4s.

I have used this motor/esc combo ever since I upgraded from my 2-pole velineon system back when my Stampede 4x4 VXL was still a Stampede 4x4. It has worked great for the most part but I want to upgrade to something that won't overheat as quickly. With my current system I can run in winter without issues but the grass is usually long and the rain keeps everything wet so I never end up using it. This time of year is nice because it's not super hot yet, all the grass is dry, and usually cut down (for fire protection reasons) so there are tons of areas to run the RC, but even with mild temperatures I still have my motor and ESC reaching temperatures i'm not really comfortable with at the end of the pack if I push the truck hard. In summer the truck will overheat very quickly, to the point where I don't end up using it much.

I'm wondering if upgrading the ESC to a Mamba Monster or maybe a Mamba X, and the motor to a Castle 1515 2200kv might be enough? I think the ESC would potentially be a huge upgrade as the Mamba Max Pro seems sort of at it's limits currently but would going from a 2400kv 1415 to a 2200kv 1515 be a meaningful upgrade? Is there another motor and/or ESC I should be considering?

Old 06-05-2018, 03:14 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you got room for a 4274 sized motor, like Castle's 2200kv, go for it. Or, maybe, have a look at Hobbywing's EZRUN Brushless 4274 SL brushless Motor...https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...ant=4766601540