Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo 3.3 Upgrades Help

Old 03-02-2019, 02:24 PM
Blackthornson

Question Revo 3.3 Upgrades Help

I have had my Revo 2.5 for 15-ish years now. I dropped a 3.3 in it when they came out and have made little upgrades as I broke it (RPM arms, fuel filter, FOC, single servo for steering, pull start, and many 3.3 replacements). Love it and I have always just had it set up for bashing. Still runs great.

Well I got my father a E-Revo last month for his b-day and its freaky fast. I know I won't be able to compete with it but I would like to at least be able to keep up at our track. Its a tight technical track with the longest straight section being 30 yards.

I was hoping yall might have some advise on how to get some more out of the low end. I have the stock 15T cb and 38T spur gear. I was thinking about going to a 14T cb and 40T spur gear to get through the tight turns quicker. Too much?

If there are any recommendations for air filters, shoe clutch, fly wheel, tires, or anything else you've had good results with, it would help me out greatly.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2019, 03:58 PM
TJ32

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Spur gears are inexpensive, trying out a 40 tooth would be a good start, then you could change the cb if you still want more low end. I believe the 14 requires a different bearing so you might want to check into that.

As far as the air filter I don't think you will get much of a performance gain by going with an aftermarket version, Ive been running the stock revo two stage filter on a Nova .21-4btt and it rips.

If you were willing to swap it over to a bump start that could be a way to lose weight and rotational resistance from the one way bearing. This will require a little bit of work (and money) since bump boxes aren't that easy to come by anymore and you will want a sealed backplate. However it isn't that difficult and I could show you how I did mine if you want.

I run the M2C three shoe aluminum clutch on my big block and it performs very nicely, but it requires a lot more maintenance and I don't think it's necessary for a 3.3. I liked the stock clutch in a leading edge arrangement personally.

Tires are highly dependent on the situation, but if you're running talons or something similar, swapping over to a set of Badlands or more traditional racing style tires could make a huge difference. I like badlands, but I don't really do any track racing.

Adjusting the slipper so that it's a little toward the tight side could give you a little more punch, but you don't want to over do it or you'll start to strain the driveline. Also checking all the bearings to make sure they're spinning completely free can make more difference than you might think if any of them are binding.