Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

The New Guy.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:26 AM
bbaloo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default The New Guy.

Alright, so I'll be honest I don't have much idea what I'm doing but I couldn't not get involved in this hobby after doing some mild research. I looked and looked, finally found a truck on eBay that I liked a lot and I pulled the trigger.
It's a Traxxas Stampede VXL, but I'm assuming it's an older generation since it does not have Traxxas' new connector on it and it doesn't have TSM, at least not to my knowledge.

So, I received the truck, battery, charger, radio system and all a few days ago. I got it all set up, put the battery on charge, let it go until the three lights on the charger were green and then I was so excited I couldn't stand it. I slapped it in, took it outside and ran it for probably nearly 30 minutes with no issue at all.

Fast forward to putting it back on charge, waiting again until those lights were green and all of a sudden now it won't even run for 1-2 minutes before the Low voltage detection kicks in and I come to a screeching halt.
Now every time I put it on charge, it 1-2 of the cell lights are red as if it's got no power there and it starts charging again.

My thought is the battery must be no good, am I correct in thinking that?

I am not allowed to attach pictures yet, but would if I could to hopefully provide more information.

Also another reason for this post..

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone getting into the hobby with this particular truck? What can I do to get the most performance out of it? The claims that it will go 60 mph have my extremely curious as far as what I have to do to make that happen.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:47 AM
D3MON

welcome to the Hobby!

i do not know much about lipo batteries, so not much help on that front, i believe you may be right on a few of the cells are dead.
Traxxas seems to like to exagerate the numbers they give as the vehicle "Top Speed". most cases you have to over-gear it to achieve the top speed, which after more than just a pass or two will burn up the electronics from working so hard.
if you are out bashing in the dirt though i have never found a time that i wanted to hit 60MPH as there is usually an obstacle that if hit, would destroy the car, i would definitely practice on smooth running, getting turns down, start slow and get faster and faster taking turns.
if you get the feel for it taking it slow and slowly speeding up you will learn the limitations of the car before major damage is done.
if you are wanting to go faster though, id get a temp gun and do a run it for awhile then check temps, (you do not want to exceed 160F. ) if you are on the safe side of those temps try bumping up a tooth on the pinion gear. then repeat. id try to stay in the 140F area to be safe.
these really dont have a lot of "performance" upgrades, you can get a faster motor, but do remember, faster speed= less torque and vice versa.
on the topic of handling though, upgrading shocks is usually a good thing, if you have the funds, id go for proline powerstrokes, but if not you can get aluminum shock caps for your stock ones, id probably rebuild the shocks and put some 40W oil in all 4 corners.
and then get a new servo as stock ones are hit and miss on longevity of use. Hitec HS646 WP is a good waterproof servo and only 43$.
down the road as you break A-Arms, hub carriers, and/or shock towers replace as necessary with RPM brand parts.
good luck!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:23 AM
bbaloo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by D3MON View Post
welcome to the Hobby!

i do not know much about lipo batteries, so not much help on that front, i believe you may be right on a few of the cells are dead.
Traxxas seems to like to exagerate the numbers they give as the vehicle "Top Speed". most cases you have to over-gear it to achieve the top speed, which after more than just a pass or two will burn up the electronics from working so hard.
if you are out bashing in the dirt though i have never found a time that i wanted to hit 60MPH as there is usually an obstacle that if hit, would destroy the car, i would definitely practice on smooth running, getting turns down, start slow and get faster and faster taking turns.
if you get the feel for it taking it slow and slowly speeding up you will learn the limitations of the car before major damage is done.
if you are wanting to go faster though, id get a temp gun and do a run it for awhile then check temps, (you do not want to exceed 160F. ) if you are on the safe side of those temps try bumping up a tooth on the pinion gear. then repeat. id try to stay in the 140F area to be safe.
these really dont have a lot of "performance" upgrades, you can get a faster motor, but do remember, faster speed= less torque and vice versa.
on the topic of handling though, upgrading shocks is usually a good thing, if you have the funds, id go for proline powerstrokes, but if not you can get aluminum shock caps for your stock ones, id probably rebuild the shocks and put some 40W oil in all 4 corners.
and then get a new servo as stock ones are hit and miss on longevity of use. Hitec HS646 WP is a good waterproof servo and only 43$.
down the road as you break A-Arms, hub carriers, and/or shock towers replace as necessary with RPM brand parts.
good luck!
Thanks for the advice!
Honestly, 60mph is really kind of crazy I agree I was just curious what it took to make it go that fast.

I will keep in mind and start doing more research on those particular pieces and how to upgrade them as I go.

First I would like to figure out this battery thing and whether I need to order new batteries or not.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:16 PM
D3MON

depending on your rc fund situation, the way i look at that is down the road you are going to want more than one battery, so i would find another (like i said i have no idea on lipos, but i see "gens ace" batteries alot) and if it was the battery get rid of the old one, if not it would probably be the charger dynamite prophet sport plus is around 30$, i have the old NIMH/NICD prophet plus and still kicking from 12+ years ago.
if it was the charger being no good, then you have 2 batteries to be able to run.

is the battery in question a 3S? or 2S?

this was a private party on ebay sale correct? not a hobby shop on ebay?
Old 06-04-2019, 01:20 PM
bbaloo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A private party yes. And it was a 3S battery. I was currently looking at purchasing 2 Venom 3S batteries, but I'm going to look for some gens ace first.

Edit: I remember now why I went to the Venom 3S batteries, the Gens Ace that I was looking at are a bit too tall to fit in the Stampede if my research is correct?
Old 06-04-2019, 02:59 PM
D3MON

that very well could be an issue on size of fitment, i have a rustler but like i said no lipos though.
I have used Venom NiMh for years and have had great luck with them. they have been around for quite some time and are still there so i would imagine they are doing something right.
i recommend venom batteries anyways.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:31 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Venom packs are pretty okay for sure. I used to be sponsored by them, but I still use their packs to this day. That one battery you were talking about in the original post however sounds like its kaput.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:59 AM
bbaloo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by collector1231 View Post
Venom packs are pretty okay for sure. I used to be sponsored by them, but I still use their packs to this day. That one battery you were talking about in the original post however sounds like its kaput.
That's what the signs are pointing to! I ordered a couple of Venom LiPos yesterday. I'm just hoping the charger isn't some cheap dinky thing, but it seems to be doing its job correctly enough though I can't really tell with the battery acting the way it is.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:02 AM
D3MON

what charger do you currently have?
Old 06-06-2019, 07:49 AM
bbaloo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by D3MON View Post
what charger do you currently have?
B3 Pro compact charger by iMaxRC
Old 08-04-2019, 08:30 AM
ANGRYBEARD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gens ace lipo batteries are the best in my opinion. I cant stand venom batteries. The cells on venom batteries tend to unbalance easier than they should. Just a thought.