Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Original T-Maxx Linkages

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 11:41 AM
Authorthis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original T-Maxx Linkages

I am brand new to this site and reasonably new to higher end RC hobbies. I have dabbled with Nitro cars, but they were not very high quality and I did not learn as much as I could. I recently received an old Nitro monster truck from my father in law and it has some issues. As far as I can tell, it is an original T-maxx monster truck with the Pro .15 engine. It sat in a basement for years, so I have been going through to clean it up and replace fuel lines, glow-plug, air filter, etc. All of that has been going reasonably well, but there are two major problems. The first is that the throttle/brake servo was broken away from its mounts and out of position. I have secured it back into place because the servo itself seems fine, and I have the linkages back in what I believe to be the correct position. But I cannot be sure. It is extremely hard to find detailed pictures of the linkages... especially where the brake linkage is connected at both ends.

The other main issue is that the shift linkage is completely missing. The servo is the and seems just fine, but nada on the linkage. I cannot for the life of me find the part number, pictures of the linkage, and/or any discussion of the linkage. I contacted Traxxas and they tried to be helpful, but they just kept showing me links for the linkages that go with the T-Maxx 2.5. As far as I can tell, these two are not cross-compatible with linkages. I also contacted my local hobby shop (Hobbytown USA) to ask for help in finding a part. They told me that I need to have the exact part number before they could help me... which is what I was contacting them for, so...

I am hoping someone here can shine a little light on the linkages, the part numbers, and how they should best be set. I would absolutely love some close up images of the brake linkage as well as the shifting linkage, if some of you are still rocking the original T-Maxx. Side note: It seems to be a little rough to differentiate between the various models of trucks and I could not find a model number or serial number anywhere on the truck(including underneath truck and inside battery box). I checked the traxxas website and they do not mention the .15 at all except where you can buy a conversion kit to upgrade it to a 2.5. They do mention a "T-Maxx Classic" which seems like it would be the original, but when I looked at it I could see that it is listed as the 2.5 as well. Does anyone know what the deal is?

Sorry this is so long, but I appreciate any help you can give. I am having a good time restoring this older truck, but I just don't know how to overcome this particular set of obstacles.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:08 AM
D3MON

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

the Pro .15 was the easy engine to deal with as it was rotary carb and servo placement made it to be one single wire from the servo to the carb, servo should pull the carb arm rotating it in place to open.
i always hated the throttle linkage though as it had a weird bend to go over the spur gear, also quick tip, bike spokes and music wire both work well for new linkage wire.

the 2.5 models used to use a bellcrank linkage as the carb was slide style and servo/engine placement was weird.

the shifting linkage you are talking about is probably the forward/reverse linkages.
the forward/reverse shifting mechanism was about identical to the 2.5/R/Classic models, 3.3 is when they used a new transmission design, actually the 3.3 may be the same but when they converted to the revo spec trans it might have changed instead.

Side note as far as transmissions go Grey Trans Case = 3.3 Black Trans Case = .15 and 2.5,
different transmission cases, gears may be the same.

hope that helps!
i havent owned a 3.3 maxx, i owned a 2.5 which linkage was converted to a .15 for a rotary carb.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:56 AM
Authorthis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That does help! Thank you.
I have still been having trouble finding specific part numbers for the original T-Maxx, But I am going to get the linkages that go with the Classic and make it work. That is a very useful tip about using bike spokes for linkages. I think that between the two I will be able to modify to satisfy.
Probably the hardest thing about finding parts, diagrams, and even photos of the original T-Maxx is that the Classic is what always comes up. I have been in contact with several hobby shops and they know that the two are different, but they also have not had any luck finding specifics for the original. I even found several places to get the original manual, but on closer inspection they must be later editions or something because they all have details for a different setup and later specifications. If I knew more about it I would be better able to tell what's what, but I have just been learning as I go along instead. I have been trying to find someone to get some detailed photos of an original T-Maxx to use as a guide to make sure the linkages are set up just right, but maybe it is not as critical as I am thinking. I will just have to do a little trial and error.
I have no doubt that I will be able to make it work, but it is a process. Overall, I think it will make it that much more satisfying to get it all up and running again.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:23 AM
D3MON

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/i/293139144197?...RoCNrwQAvD_BwE
found this, its the linkage kit for the .15 engine model, i guess i was pretty lucky as my LHS owner was the guy that i got my truck from, so he knew everything about it, and it was back when the classic was just coming out. so it was more of a current item.
this is what the 2.5R and classic models should look like:
https://traxxas.com/support/Throttle...age-Adjustment (look at the S-maxx/sportmaxx pictures)
and this is what the .15 models should look like:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/trax...xx-15-pro.html (Look in post #3)
(disclaimer, these are not my pictures just for reference)
the throttle linkage goes up and over the spur gear, whereas the 2.5 has a slide carb and uses a bellcrank type linkage to open and close the carb.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5109linkage.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	2264760   Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	2264761  

Last edited by D3MON; 07-08-2019 at 08:26 AM.