Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

I got a Fantom 18 for the Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 12:51 PM
studysession

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a Fantom 18 for the Maxx

I did it - sold some of my other stuff so I got a Fantom 18 for my wife's Maxx.... Will be keeping everyone updated with the progress. Also changing to a 16t clutch bell instead of the stock 20t clutch bell.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:29 PM
studysession

Default RE: I got a Fantom 18 for the Maxx

The fly wheel on the old motor is really tight. How to make it easier to get off????
Old 11-15-2003, 01:32 PM
studysession

Got it off.... It was seriously tight....
Old 11-15-2003, 02:03 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

the shaft that holds my flywheel in place is loctited was when i took it off the old motor too. they are a BIA to remove
Old 11-15-2003, 02:04 PM
flatlander_14

yeah, here are afew tips for you before you run it:

take out the head screws(one at a time) and put threadlock on them. without it they become loose and an air leak will result.

use carb sealant on the carb hole or whatever it is in the engine block without it airleaks will happen

also, go have fun its my favorite motor to break in oh, wait, you practically dont! just use a temp gauge to keep it in good temperatures. i run it strongly around 310 to 320 degrees for good performance. i adjust to adapt to the temperature outside of course though. you will love this engine. what glow plugs are you using? also, witha 16t clutchbell, that really isnt needed. i flip my truck on it's back with the stock 20t clutchbell. at the least go with 18 lol. insane. haha.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:16 PM
studysession

As for the fuel line - The direction of the feed hole in hole different direction - makes it hard to put a fuel line on where it won't be in the way of the fly wheel...

Anyone of pics of theirs??? I want to see how the fuel line is connected... Cheers...
Old 11-15-2003, 03:57 PM
gregmax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Study, you should be able to loosen the fuel nipple off and move it around to make it easier to connect the fuel pipe. Also why have you gone for a 16t clutchbell, cos the T-Maxx will be slower and will flip over so easily. I've got a Sirio 18 in my 2.5 T-Maxx and with the standard clutch bell will flip onto it's back way to easily!!
Old 11-15-2003, 04:05 PM
studysession

I want more low end. Better for off roading.

I have the suspension lowered almost all the way down. I will pst some pics. I modified the stock shocks. With the TRX 2.5 was able to do 360's at almost WOT. Can do donuts without flipping. With the suspension lowered it is harder to pull a wheelie. So now I am hoping to be the wheelie king with a lowered suspension to boot.

I put NEW longer fuel tubing for now. Will probably turn it later for now going to try it like it is.

It is after 9pm here - After I eat I will take it out and see if it starts then break it in tomorrow. LOOKS COOL!!!![8D][&:]
Old 11-15-2003, 04:23 PM
studysession

OK - went out to start this thing. Battery is dead on EZ start. So now charging 2 3000NiMH batteries so I will be able to get through tomorrow. Will try and start it again before going to bed. I think my fuel tubing is way to long.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:02 PM
studysession

I got it started.

Problem - somtimes the EZ start sops working while trying to start the engine now. Keep doing it and keep doing it then finally it starts. Would appreciate some input from anyone who has experienced this in the past. Think it will be to hard for my wife to deal with if I don't get it fixed.

Cheers
Old 11-15-2003, 05:43 PM
studysession

Anyone have a throttle return spring on their Maxx??? If so where can i order what??? What part number???
Old 11-15-2003, 05:43 PM
gregmax

It could be that cos the engine is new it is really tight and the ezstart will not turn it over, same situation if you flood the engine and there is too much load on the ezstart. You could also try using a glow starter while you are breaking the engine in it does help occasionally!!
Old 11-15-2003, 05:46 PM
gregmax

Oh yeah the other thing could be that the connector on either the ezstart itself or on the connector on the Tmaxx is loose or one of the pins has worked it's way loose, I had that happen on mine when I got it last year and there was no power going to the glow plug!!!
Old 11-15-2003, 05:59 PM
studysession

I am using an external glow ignitor - Just bought a new one that I need to make sure it works right. Fired right up once the EZ start turned enough without stopping. Can't wait till tomorrow to go through break in process.

I have the suspension slammed low - so hoping with more power and lower # tooth (16t) clutch bell it will wheelie out the *****. Suspension is so low, so I am not sure if it will.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:05 PM
bubbafien
My Feedback: (1)

i am using a pull start on my PORTED fantom and it starts on first pull.

bubbafien
Old 11-16-2003, 08:57 AM
studysession

I got the beast started. -- Before starting this I knew I had a gear problem. Now my gears are getting even more striped than before.

I had to open the low end a lot to keep it started. This thing is LOUD!!!! Hope that means more power. For now I am using the stock pipe. I now need to replace some gears.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:38 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

its a tmaxx what do you expect btw the reason yur EZ start isnt catching is cuz of your 1 way bearing. it happened to my terra crusher also, i took off the electric starter from the EPIC motor and jus used the pullstart. It starts on the first few pulls every time!
Old 11-16-2003, 03:37 PM
flatlander_14

yes, the noise does equal power bore out the stock pipe's stinger as much as you can to let more power be unleashed... GET A SIRIO BIG BORE PIPE!!! then it will really scream. i never ran with stock pipe so you may be disappointed until you get one.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:45 PM
studysession

I was holding off then the TRX 2.5 went adn then got it going again. Then broke a screw in the head. AAUUGGGHHH!!! So went ahead and got the engine. My wife loves her Maxx -

Need to get it doing wheeleis out the but while keeping the lowered suspension. I might have to raise it back up. I did the 1st tank. Having hard time adjusting the idle. Think still need to open the low end some more.

Cheers.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:49 PM
studysession

Where can I get stock transmission gears for cheap and anyone know the part numbers? Ebay seems higher than tower...