Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HOT ..HOT..HOTTER...

What would be the highest temp you could run your truck before causing eng. problems???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: HOT ..HOT..HOTTER...

According to Traxxas, on the TRX 2.5, they say not to exceed 270 degrees
    CEN MT2
    Sportmaxx w/ 4wd and two speed- FLM chassis, bulkheads, RPM stuff, JR servos, too much other stuff
    Rustler w/ team associated .15
    OFNA Hyper 7 RTR- JR DZ8550 steering servo, power racing exhaust, pro-line crime fighters
    All with JR XR3i R

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

my old TRX .15 engine got so hot that the aluminum piston broke into pieces inside of the crank [>:]
    Full throttle or go home.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have two trucks and both engines overheat like crazy. They will run about a half a tank and then shut down. Running Traxxas fuel, no mater how rich, no covers, they overheat. The engines are so hot the fuel is boiling in the carb. When the fuel hits the carb it boils and blows back in the fuel line.

Does anyone here think it might be the stock exhaust pipe? I have wondered if for some reason it might be causing the engine to loose fuel pressure and hence lean out. I have tighted the nut on it but it still seems to loosen up. Kind of a cheap pipe. I have also wondered about getting one of those super big heads. Anything to get the heat away.

I am looking to get new engines for mine. Sort of looking at an OS .12 cv-x. Not a real powerhouse but it sounds reliable. I don't know though, the .12 might be a little to small.

Rob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I dont think its the pipe because i run my engine so rich that if i let go of the throttle for less than 3 seconds the engine will shut of.I think is the engine it need a better cooling head because i have the same problems my engine gets up to 320 degrees.I am tierd of this traxxas should do soemthing about this flaw.[:@][:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are not the only one. I had the same problems with my 2.5, too much truck. I read on some website (not sure which one), Said you have a 50/50 chance of getting a good motor from Traxxas. My motor sucked, I even had a previous employee of Traxxas try to tune it and he had no luck. Runs too hot. So, I replaced mine with a Sirio .18 this thing rocks. I could run for days. It is a pretty expensive motor, but what isn't in this hobby. Peace

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 2.5 is famous for its over heating problems. I was an original maxx owner and was real shocked when i bought my son the 2.5 maxx. Not only did they take a step backward with the shocks (they sucked), but the motor is far to hard to tune for your avaerage hobbyist. It took me a while to tune my sons, and finally i got it running about 240-260. I still added the MSJ cooling head, and then retuned it a bit. I can tune this motor to run 220, and strong with this head. But its still a small block, and with consistent running in that big truck, it will shoot to 300 real fast. Dont get me wrong, i love the maxx, but that motor was a mistake for a RTR. When my sons motor goes, its OS time!

Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have to agree to disagree. It was my first Nitro motor, and has been great for me.
    Of course I have a lot of automotive experience, so that doesn't hurt either.

First think I did was pull the motor apart. I cleaned it out, lubed the bearings with some
    trinity bearing lube, lubed the crank, piston, sleeve with a light coating of after run oil.

I then made sure I used some after run oil on the silicon seals to get a good seal on
    the carb, rear header, etc.

This thing runs perfectly. This motor and I had our issues before I pulled it apart, but
    now it runs like a champ.

I can always depend on the 2.5 to turn over... It is my most reliable Nitro RC. Pops on
    the first pull and starts on the second or third all of the time everytime. Consistently
    runs 220-230 all day through heavy throttle runs too.

I have used 20% Blue Thunder Sport Blend and 20% Top Fuel with an OS3.

If it is running hot, you have a leak or are running too lean...

I would replace the gas tank ( I had a gas tank with a MICRO hole that I couldn't
    see- it caused a lean condition)

I would replace the fuel lines

I would carefully lubricate the carb seals and the header seal with after run oil (this is just a standard procedure- the oil promotes a healthy seal)

I would check the tightness of the head bolts.

Carefully check the carb- I had a micro crack in the carb when I overtightened the HSN needle and didn't realize it until it started running hot and lean)

Maybe try a fresh gallon of fuel if the fuel you are using is old

This might help... Good luck!
    *** Support your local tracks ***

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i cant get my engine tuned at all. The thing ran good for break in but stupied me adjusted the low speed needle and that messed up the idle thing, i got that put back right, so i think, and no matter how richi run it still over heats, its only about 44F and I have had it over 4 1/2 turns, the traxxas people cant even help me
    Tmaxx 2.5:
    -Epic .18-Dynamite turbo airfilter-THS exhaust-MIP cvds-RPM front shock tower and body mount-Hitec HS 645 steering servo-custom roll bar-custom center skid plate-aluminum hex hubs-carbon fiber brake disc-spool in rear diff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had also read that you have about a 50/50 chance of getting a bad engine, that Traxxas put out a bad batch of engines, bad piston or sleeves or something. These bad engines had a tendency to wear out quickly, like shortly after break-in. I've read many posts of people saying the same things; either it runs too hot, stalls out, and is hard to start; or it runs like a champ, never has a problem. These "all or none" responses makes the theory sound true. My buddy and I bought our Tmaxx's on the same day, from the same hobby shop. We both had the same negative experiences that many people post, you just can't keep the darn thing running no matter what you do. I had had enough with it and bought a Sirio 18, my buddy decided to rebuild his 2.5. Since the rebuild, his 2.5 screams! It's reliable, has awesome power, and hangs right with my Sirio. I can't prove that Traxxas sold some inferior engines, but if you read enough posts, 50/50 sounds about right. No other engine has user feedback that is so "love it or hate it" as this engine.
    Who farted??!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tomrrow im going to tear it apart and clean everything and lube it. maybe it will help. Jefx-did your buddy put a new piston and sleeve in his 2.5
    Tmaxx 2.5:
    -Epic .18-Dynamite turbo airfilter-THS exhaust-MIP cvds-RPM front shock tower and body mount-Hitec HS 645 steering servo-custom roll bar-custom center skid plate-aluminum hex hubs-carbon fiber brake disc-spool in rear diff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, that is what I meant when I said he rebuilt it. I'm not saying that you should run out and buy a new piston/sleeve. I'm just telling you of my experience. His rebuild made a world of difference, I should have saved the money and rebuilt mine!
    Who farted??!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

shouldn't traxxas give you a new piston/sleeve if the first one was defective
    Tmaxx 2.5:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I guess they should, and might have, but I didn't take it up with Traxxas, either did my buddy.
    Who farted??!!