Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Shock oil

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Shock oil

I like to jump my sportmaxx so my lhs told me to use a higher viscocity oil so I changed it out and now my springs don't really care for that thick of an oil. When I drop it on the ground it's just like PLUMP and sits there with the shocks bottomed out. What I'm looking for is just some springs that are more firm than the stock Sportmaxx springs, who makes some?
    CEN MT2
    Sportmaxx w/ 4wd and two speed- FLM chassis, bulkheads, RPM stuff, JR servos, too much other stuff
    Rustler w/ team associated .15
    OFNA Hyper 7 RTR- JR DZ8550 steering servo, power racing exhaust, pro-line crime fighters
    All with JR XR3i R

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Shock oil

if your new to this kind of thing id go back to stock and just by a little bit stifffer springs,its simpler
    There are only a few names who TRULY STRIKE FEAR INTO PEOPLE,thats Jason,Freddie,and Zeroc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i run rc-raven dual rate sprimgs with 80wt oil in my big bores and it works well for me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

mrjason82

Many trade-offs between oil weights and spring rates to consider. The stock spring rate won't offset the dampening of the oil weight your LHS recommended if it's over 45 or so, at least not very well for what you are doing. If you like to jump, springs are the best upgrade. Dual rate springs or Trinity "blues" are very nice. Also, changing your 2-hole pistons to the 1-hole pistons that come with the truck is the same as using a heavier weight oil. Changing to the 1-hole pistons alone may have been enough for you depending on how hard you bash.
    godlyone

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i got the trinity blues for mine from towerhobbies.they also make black and dark blue which are heavier yet.i am also running 50wt all the way around.
    a note of caution here.i dont know if it was just me but once i used thicker oil and heaveir springs on my stock shocks i started blowing shock caps off on the more aggressive jumps.alum shock caps would of probably cured this but i just ended up getting the bb's.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

50 wt, 2 holes, blues and reds was my old set up. It was a nice balance between responsiveness and absorbtion. Just remember, if you are jumping big you can't avoid bottoming out. Don't build your suspension to prevent the bottom out, it's gonna happen. What you will end up with is a truck that bounces all over on its way to your ramp and you won't be able to jump worth a damn.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am running Trinity black springs, big bore shocks and 50 wt oil. It is a little bouncy, but it make's up for it with performance.