Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried a .247 conversion w/ 72T ring and 23T clutchbell?

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Anyone tried a .247 conversion w/ 72T ring and 23T clutchbell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 11:45 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone tried a .247 conversion w/ 72T ring and 23T clutchbell?

I recently bought a T-Maxx w/ the XTM .247 conversion. We finally got it running yesterday - the thing is a straight-up monster on grippy surfaces - the front wheels will not stay on the ground during acceleration or at speed, which leads to unwanted acrobatics at launch. Heh.

10 minutes after we fired it up it ate the stock spur gear. Oh well.

As a replacement I've decided to go with the RRC 8472 double disc slipper & steel spur kit. I know there will be a speed difference at the top end, but I'm wondering how much of a difference I'll see at the low end with a 21T or 23T pinion as opposed to the stock 20T one. I'd like to be able to keep up with the other nMaxxen in our club, and figure it'll be easier to do so if all four wheels stay on the ground...

FYI we run primarily on firm surfaces - grass, asphalt, concrete and packed dirt.

Any experiences?
Old 02-11-2004, 11:12 PM
Low Wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Anyone tried a .247 conversion w/ 72T ring and 23T clutchbell?

I just had the Dynamite m26 conversion kit put in my t-max...good luck getting a response on this part of rcu...I asked a question below got over fifty hit's and not one remark, insight or experience to answer my problem...enjoy your T-max...
Old 02-12-2004, 08:17 AM
rs_andy

slacken the slipper off a bit? lower it? richen the mixture so the take off isn't so violent? and if all else fails put a brick on the front
Old 02-12-2004, 02:01 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I decided to go w/ the RRC 65T slipper/spur and a 21T clutch bell. If it turns out to be too much of a slug off the line I can always swap in a larger spur gear (or a smaller clutchbell)
Old 02-12-2004, 10:46 PM
diirtbag
My Feedback: (3)

I run the 72 23 with a single speed its fast and got power and my tranny will not fail me good luck keeping a 2 speed in there
Old 02-13-2004, 04:54 PM
cootertwo

The 72/23 combo will work fine. Will still pull the front wheels too. With the 24.7 I have to keep the slipper clutch cranked down tight. If it starts to slip, it's gone. I've melted several plastic gears. Now use a steel 72, and slipper tight.