Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Dirt in my crank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 09:27 AM
RcCoy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt in my crank?

I drove my maxx last night and after a horrific tumble I realized my carb had come off. But unfortunatley not before it sucked a load dirt into the motor.[] I am new to the hobby so I just like to ask before I start tearing apart. Will I need any gaskets to put it back together? Also is it just the one nut under the clutchbell that holds the shaft in? Also if anyone has any tips on how to do this easy or things not to do that would be helpful as well.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:44 AM
lowseylos

Default RE: Dirt in my crank?

wow first take off the motor then cover the carb hole and exaust hole up with tissue then take a tooth brush and maybe some nitro cleaner and clean the out side then disassemble
the shaft is held in by a bearing on the inside of the engine
Old 04-01-2004, 10:16 AM
RcCoy

I've got all clean and have it torn down to just below the clutch bell. There is a nut there I am asuming that will just come off. Then will the shaft and bearing just slide out?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:34 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, that nut just holds the flywheel on. Take it off, then pull the flywheel and collet off. To remove the crankshaft you'll have to remove the backplate, then pull the piston and sleeve out, then the crankshaft will pull out through the back of the engine.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:44 PM
RcCoy

I only have about a gallon through this engine should I rebuild now while it is torn down. It still runs good! Also how important is it to apply the correct amount of torque when I reassemble? I read "how to rebuild your engine" on the Traxxas web site and it mentions specific torques for the fly wheel as well as cooling head?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:46 PM
RcCoy

This is just kinda of a bummer. I didn't realize my carb had come off. The truck quit I assumed from the tumble so I tried to start it several times until I pulled the body off and saw what I had done. I was so mad at myself.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:48 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a torque wrench that small? I just crank 'em till they're tight, but the head bolts need to be tightened in a criss-cross fashion, like an automobile wheel.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:39 PM
RcCoy

No torque wrench just wondered if it really made that much difference. Should I thredlock everything when putting it back together/
Old 04-01-2004, 02:50 PM
rcpro-123
My Feedback: (2)

yeah use that on your crank shaft bolt