Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

just sold my T-Maxx, what to buy: REVO or LST?

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

just sold my T-Maxx, what to buy: REVO or LST?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 11:14 PM
signa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just sold my T-Maxx, what to buy: REVO or LST?

I only had my maxx for a month, had zero probs with it, a perfect engine, etc etc, but when I saw the Losi LST, and someone offered me top bucks for my truck, I sold it. Now I'm having second thoughts about the LST due to the weight. I think a lot of the performance I'm looking for is about power to weight. A friend of mine bought a t-maxx and did a .21 conversion with a used plate for next to nothing, and is about to drop a Savage .25 into it.

What will it take to out accelerate a t-maxx (off road, dirt/grass etc) with a .25 savage engine in it?

With the big block in the LST it's got a pretty good power to weight, but so would a REVO with a Picco P2 .21

The Losi has a sweet radio, cool shocks etc etc

The Revo has nice articulation, new technology etc etc

What would you buy?

Thanks,

Signa
Old 05-02-2004, 12:34 AM
chase044
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: just sold my T-Maxx, what to buy: REVO or LST?

i would get the lst by far it has to be the best rc mt thats coming out. it will eat the revo for a snack between meals.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:54 AM
kimberklr

ORIGINAL: chase044

i would get the lst by far it has to be the best rc mt thats coming out. it will eat the revo for a snack between meals.
oh so you've ran both of these for awhile to get an opinion like that i assume.
i'm in the same boat.the maxx is going and either the lst or revo is coming.i just dont know which one yet.i'll wait till a few peps have them to see them both in action.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:04 AM
signa

I've asked my question to the LHS's and they all say the Revo's going to be incredible, and pretty much no comment on the LST. One said the Revo's prob going to be the "most fun" of the two. In the back of my mind I'm thinking they're leaning to the Revo for total sales and all the replacement parts they'll sell! A co-worker bought a T-maxx a few weeks before me and he knows all about the importance of spare parts! A-arms, skid plates, bulk head, spur gear, etc etc

Signa
Old 05-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Unspoken

get the revo because there will be endless hop-ups and spare parts everywehre you look.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:34 PM
T 2 the Max

I agree with Unspoken ... go Revo
Old 05-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Mxracer45

Well not sure what u r really lookin do to. But for speed and handeling get a XTM mammoth. My vote has the lst over the revo.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:30 PM
STI

hi ..

get the LST .. the Revo looks great but i think its a higher version of the T-maxx with the new shifting opti and the suspension. and as you tried the T-maxx for a while why dont you give the big block engine a try. after all you cant make the right choice untill you see them in action. good luck ..
Old 05-02-2004, 08:37 PM
signa

Default or Savage 25 vs. T-Maxx /w.26 Picco

a friend loaned me his Savage 25 today and I ran it in an indoor dirt track. Wow, was I impressed by this truck. For about 3 hours straight running, it did not stall once. Ran it, cleaned it, put it away, nice!

Other than pulling those bloody alum plates off to work on it, I can't really fault this 1/8 truck.

If I got impatient and couldn't wait for the Revo or LST, how would the Savage 25 compare with my friend's .21 conversion T-Maxx? He's got the stock motor in it but will be replacing with a Picco .26 shortly...

Thanks,

Signa
Old 05-02-2004, 08:47 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: or Savage 25 vs. T-Maxx /w.26 Picco

ORIGINAL: signa

a friend loaned me his Savage 25 today and I ran it in an indoor dirt track. Wow, was I impressed by this truck. For about 3 hours straight running, it did not stall once. Ran it, cleaned it, put it away, nice!

Other than pulling those bloody alum plates off to work on it, I can't really fault this 1/8 truck.

If I got impatient and couldn't wait for the Revo or LST, how would the Savage 25 compare with my friend's .21 conversion T-Maxx? He's got the stock motor in it but will be replacing with a Picco .26 shortly...

Thanks,

Signa
The .21 tmaxx will blow the savage away to be blunt..

As for the LST or Revo, bleh I bet the LST will be a huge bust. Know why I think this? The GT did the same thing. It's all about hype.

All the LST is, is Hype
Old 05-02-2004, 08:48 PM
USABaja5B

Just buy a Savage. What are you goign to do while waiting another 2-3 months for the other trucks to get into stock?? Then another few weeks to get the part you break on the first time bashing. I would wait until August to buy a REVO or LST. By then, there will be no supply problems, and you'll know what breaks first.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:09 PM
signa

Other than buying another T-Maxx and doing the same thing, how would I compete?

<small aside>
You see, this person is a friend/client and we've played the horsepower game before, but with cars. I had a '96 328i, he had a 3.1 Cavalier. He swapped the motor for a 3.4L which resulted in a pretty nice power to weight ratio. It was still a tad slower than my car, but for me it was time for change, so I bought a 2004 STi. According to him, I won. Now he's putting a small block into a Fiero...
<sorry for rambling>

So caseyddr, how could I regain the edge? (I hope it doesn't involve buying another T-Maxx)

By edge I mean out an out top speed in a parking lot, screaming through tall grass, on a dirt track, etc etc

Thanks!

Signa
Old 05-02-2004, 09:16 PM
signa

RAMTech-RC, my thoughts exactly. I really like the JR XS3 so I'm thinking of getting the SS kit and the radio...One thing I forgot to mention, the reverse on the Sav works great. Seems to switch everytime, even under a load. That's one thing my T would not do.

Signa
Old 05-02-2004, 09:19 PM
USABaja5B

Yes, the T-maxx certainly had some tranny problems. Clickettyclack went the maxx... Everyone that buys a new one has to ask, "is it supposed to sound like that?? Even Traxxas now says they fixed that problem on the Revo, by putting ina sophisticated computer handling sensor. Just what I need in my basher, a sensor.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:34 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: signa

Other than buying another T-Maxx and doing the same thing, how would I compete?

<small aside>
You see, this person is a friend/client and we've played the horsepower game before, but with cars. I had a '96 328i, he had a 3.1 Cavalier. He swapped the motor for a 3.4L which resulted in a pretty nice power to weight ratio. It was still a tad slower than my car, but for me it was time for change, so I bought a 2004 STi. According to him, I won. Now he's putting a small block into a Fiero...
<sorry for rambling>

So caseyddr, how could I regain the edge? (I hope it doesn't involve buying another T-Maxx)

By edge I mean out an out top speed in a parking lot, screaming through tall grass, on a dirt track, etc etc

Thanks!

Signa
A picco 26 for everything, but the track. You jus wont be able to handle as well as the tmaxx on a track.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I will get the Revo... I was REALLY leaning towards the LST, I almost put some $$$ down. However, with a massaged 2.5R motor, the possibility of getting a race truck down to 7 pounds with little effort & TONS of aftermarket support.

HP to weight!!! Big blocks don't matter when the HP to weight isn't comparable.

I can't wait to wrench on the Revo... I will dump the reverse in 2 seconds- probably before I break it in- and so will go the sensor.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:18 AM
schmism

i hate to bring up the obious but why not start over with a Tmaxx again? buy some other used one (with a burnt out engine or something) for cheep and use the extra money to put hopups on it?

youd wind up with the best of both worlds. a "new" truck to tinker with, youd still have a max with all of its part selection, and you wouldnt have to wait for anything....

build it, play with it for a few months and if you still want something else sell it when the Revo's are "around"
Old 05-04-2004, 08:22 PM
signa

Default RE: just sold my T-Maxx, bought a used Savage 25

thanks to everyone who offered advice on what to do. you guys offered valuable insight, and I really appreciate it.

the guy I borrowed the Savage 25 off over the weekend sold it to me today for an unbelievably low price, saying it was taking up too much of his time. can you relate?

so, that's that. it's even got some nice upgrades: 645 steering servo, reverse w/hitec servo (what a flawless rev. system) and GPM 7075 side plates.

it's got two minor probs: scraped cyl head and the body is beaten up, but who cases? i'm picking up a new hpi pre-painted body in a day or two. i've attached it if you want to check it out. does anyone run a beater body and save another one for show?

is there a head protector that will mount on the stock head to cover up scratches?

sorry for posting a Savage message in the general base but I wanted to thank everyone here while I was on the fence on what to buy.

Signa
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14905.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	129231  
Old 05-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Haldir

Cool another convert.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:20 PM
rcmtdriver2000

REVO-hahahaahahaha what a joke i'd have decided on the savage. Everyone is basing a decision on a few vids they saw that traxxas made and rcca talked about in the magazine. Hmmmmmm......Revo truck of the year and it's not even out yet. HHhmmmmm....How is that possible? Maybe traxxas and the rcca guys are the same guys? The revo is is going to be t-maxx part 2 if you can't put a big block into it without a conversion kit. It'll be another quest for more power truck.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

I can't wait to wrench on the Revo... I will dump the reverse in 2 seconds- probably before I break it in- and so will go the sensor.

Don't be so fast, Dale (well...don't ACT so fast).

Unless you only want a dedicated racer, Traxxas claims the Revo tranny will NOT "ratchet" like the Maxx and the reverse will be a lot more relible (mine is often fussy & balks when you try to swicth back to forward-regardless of revs).

So while I WILL be dumping reverse soon on my Maxx, I'd really enjoy having it if it worked well, didn't affect overall performance and was reliable. Revo claims to have done ALL that.

And of course, it's a VERY quick fix to remove the servo & shift module for racing weight-savings, and with this new tranny (which is already lighter & has fewer parts than the Maxx), I don't think there will be ANY performance gain and only a SUPER tiny weight advantage if you go 'inside' & do a full-blown FOC.

All I'm saying is keep your options open!!! It'll be nice to have a truck you can change from FO to F & R in 5 minutes.

Dean
Old 05-06-2004, 07:35 PM
rcfreak21
My Feedback: (2)

either one is at the top of their game
Old 05-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Vanquish24

I would go with the LST just because it is a bit bigger and more powerful, but i cant really tell you which one to buy because they are both not out yet and second, they are two diffrent trucks and it is your decision on which one you want to get.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:16 AM
fhm101

LST or Revo? My $0.02. Losi has a great rep as a race oriented company and well thay should as they build if not the finest 10th scale off road electric equipment today it would be second only to AE and that would come down to which side of the fence you happen to be on. The thing you have to keep in mind is that there are now 2 seperate companies selling products under the Losi name. You have the traditional race kits which are made in the USA of top shelf materials and then you have the sport division which supplies 100% of their RTR line and offers nothing but cars built to spec by contractors in Tiwan. The plastic is different as is the quality of the metal used. On to my point here. Just because it says Losi on it, don't expect it to be as good as the race kits. That's not to say it won't have some heavy weight in it's favor. If Gil Jr. had any say in the design it will handle really well and at least one top Losi driver will run one and do well with it.
As far as the Revo is concerned, it may be spun as a GP all around RTR like the maxx trucks, but it's got race car written all over it. It would not suprise me to see traxxas get back into offroad racing with the Revo as their flagship.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:45 AM
rdmonster

Default RE: just sold my T-Maxx, bought a used Savage 25

Good call I have a tmaxx and a savage and while my tmaxx is a little faster it looks awful slow sitting there after I break it for like the two hundredth time. The savage is truly the timex of trucks. Ive beaten it down many times and it just comes back for more. Ive done things with it that wouldve broken my maxx in like ten places.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.