Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Failsafe

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 03:02 PM
dp_goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failsafe

One of the posts in this forum mentions getting a failsafe device in case the batteries die (on a T Maxx). Is this an electronic or mechanical device? I guess it just applies the brakes. Am I right? I not seen them on ebay or any online stores in the UK. Anyone know of a uk supplier?
Old 05-14-2004, 03:12 PM
mark_at81

Default RE: Failsafe

Yes mainly they are a little electric gizmo, but im sure there are non electric versions out there.
As far as a UK suplier www.modelsport.co.uk is where i got all my fail safes from.

Cheers Mark
Old 05-14-2004, 04:03 PM
schmism

Its an "electronic gizmo" that conects between your reciver and the throtle servo. It constanly monters the signal comming from the reciver. if it detects that the signal has dissapeard then it will return the throtle to a designated (by you) position.

Venom [link=http://www.venom-racing.com/product/vfs/index.htm]link hear[/link] make one that i think quite a few peeps use.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:04 PM
FREEBIRD

I have the Ofna one, it was $29 and works great. Almost a must have for these expensive trucks.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:07 PM
T 2 the Max

i agree with FREEBIRD .. have the same one .. works great
Old 05-14-2004, 06:21 PM
sbb4us

Yep, I have the ONFA one too and its a tight fit but you can fit it in the reciever case and protect it from mud and stuff. It can also save you money because you can just run it until the batteries get low and the failsafe puts on the brake.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:35 PM
FlyingMist

On top of getting a failsafe (it detects if your car is out of range, or if your radios batteries are too weak - basically if it doesnt detect a signal, it will apply the breaks to the point that you set it to), also get a throttle return spring.

The failsafes can't detect or dont detect if your receiver battery is getting low. So if you are at WOT, and your receiver batteries get low, then your car stays at WOT and wham bam thank you man, your car may hit someone, or something causing damage.

But if you have a throttle return spring, and a failsafe, you are covered in both circumstances.

1. If your failsafe doesnt detect the signal from your radio, it applys the brakes. (failsafe)
2. If your receiver batteries get too low to activate the servos, then the throttle return spring returns the throttle to the neutral position, thus lowering the circumstances of your truck staying at WOT and doing serious damage to others or your truck. (throttle return spring)

In this way you are covered pretty well, the failsafe device I purchased at my LHS cost me all of $19.95, and the throttle return spring all of $3.00

Pretty cheap insurance to protect not only your investment, but also others that may be around looking on.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:58 PM
wannabeturbo

Actually, my failsafe, and I think its by Venom, but I'm no longer sure, will detect the charge of the receiver batteries. If the receiver batteries get low, the fail safe will stop the truck, but if you continue to run your truck, if you can get around it, you do run the risk of the receiver batteries dying. Then you have a problem. Fail safes are a must have.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:47 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The failsafes can't detect or dont detect if your receiver battery is getting low. So if you are at WOT, and your receiver batteries get low, then your car stays at WOT and wham bam thank you man, your car may hit someone, or something causing damage.
You must have a bunk failsafe. I have a Dynamite failsafe (it's big and kinda cheesy), and it detects if the reciever batteries are low. If the reciever batteries get low, it applies the brake. Also if I lose signal (out of range or bad radio batteries) it will apply the brakes.

However, if my signal gets hijacked (by another r/c radio, or random interference) the failsafe doesn't help. Also if the battery plug for the reciever were to pop loose, or the servo wire from the reciever were to fall out, then the failsafe won't do any good. That's where the throttle return spring comes in handy.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:21 PM
sbb4us

FlyingMist every failsafe I have ever seen will apply the brakes when the batteries get low, including mine.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:27 PM
FlyingMist

Hmmmm, I'll have to double check. I assume a valid check would be to turn on the receiver with the on/off switch, then switch it off and if the throttle brake servo moves to the brake position that I have preset, then it's working.

Will check right now........

I dont think thats the way mine works, it looks to be a Dynamite Race Guard.

When I turn on the receiver without the transmitter it goes to the brake position, if I turn on the TX, and turn off the power to the receiver, then it just shuts off without moving to the brake position.

Maybe this kind of test is a faulty test since it obviously can't move to the brake position if the power is turned off, so I would guess that I would have to wait and drain out my rx batteries to see if it works this way.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:53 PM
sbb4us

Umm actualy that is what a failsafe does, if you go out of range (simulated by you turning off the tx (transmitter) the failsafe automatically applies the brakes. Actually that is how you are supposed to check if your failsafe works (by turning the tx off and see if the failsafe kicks in and applies the brakes). As jefx said you might have a bunk failsafe.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:43 PM
kimberklr

Maybe this kind of test is a faulty test since it obviously can't move to the brake position if the power is turned off, so I would guess that I would have to wait and drain out my rx batteries to see if it works this way.
yea i believe your right on on that.when the fail safe see's your rx batteries get below a certain level it will lock up the brakes.when you just shut the rx off your killing all the power so it can't apply the brakes.