Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Orion Wasp .21

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 03:19 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Orion Wasp .21

ORIGINAL: TexasTMaxx

I just noticed a small pool of oil under my flywheel, like the engine is leaking from the front bearing. This also used to happen to my Sirio 18, does it happen to yours?
Mine does the same thing and has since it was new. I haven't seen anything bad from it though other than a dirty MAXX!!

Cool, thanks. At least I'm not the only one.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:15 PM
t-maxx101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey jefx i hear you on the weather

im soon to own a wasp .21 but before i get it i want to do the drivetrain so what would i need and about what would it cost
Old 06-13-2004, 06:17 PM
t-maxx101

mine leaks to and i havent had any problems so i just clean it up all the time
Old 06-13-2004, 09:17 PM
jefx

Well, I posted earlier on how my tranny bearing broke, and my front diff got trashed.........It isn't so! I finally got to tear it down (I was outta town over the weekend) And the front diff was fine, it turns out that I snapped a pin in the cvd, and I was able to make a new one. As far as the tranny, the last time I had taken it apart, I must of forgot to replace the spacer on the shaft between the FOC gear and the tranny case. Everything was fine! No shredded gears or bearing or anything! I just had to replace the spacer.

t-maxx101, you could run it with the stock drivetrane (some people manage to get away with it), but you'd constantly be replacing stuff as it broke. I replaced the stock diffs with Maximizer aluminum cups and 3mm screws, as the stock diffs barely held up to the 2.5 engine. I also went with all 6 cvds. A steel spur gear. And finally, a steel forward only conversion with steel top shaft on the tranny.

Steel tranny gears
Steel spur gear
Upgraded diffs
Constant velocity driveshafts (cvds)

That should be all you need. With that setup, the only drivetrane part I've broke is the occasional cvd pin, which you can make yourself. As far as price, it depends on what brand you go with and where you get the stuff. Of course Unlimited Engineering's stuff is the best, and the most expensive.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:33 PM
MAXXacceleration

No oil puddle here yet jefx. Sounds like a possible weak area.
I recommend a weak area somewhere(in the drivetrain), for some give in a nasty mishap(on the gas wreck lol). I'm keeping the center drives stock for the weak point(and cheap replacement).
I'm glad to hear your Maximizer parts didn't fail.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:57 PM
t-maxx101

thanx for the list, cant wait to get all the parts
Old 06-14-2004, 07:06 PM
jefx

ORIGINAL: MAXXacceleration

I recommend a weak area somewhere(in the drivetrain), for some give in a nasty mishap(on the gas wreck lol). I'm keeping the center drives stock for the weak point(and cheap replacement).

Ya, many people choose to keep some sort of "weak point" in their drivetrane, just in case. It's a good idea, but I hate replacing parts, so I tried to beef-up everything. I figure that the slipper clutch is the natural "weak point" and will slip before any of the drivetrane parts break as long as your drivetrane is tough enough. My Sirio 18 ended up chewing through my driveshafts, diffs, tranny gears, and spur gear, even with my slipper set a little loose, so that's why I went ahead and replaced it all.

t-maxx101, you don't necessarily "need" all those things I mentioned, but they will make your engine upgrade a much more hassle-free, and fun experience.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:21 AM
airracer2004
Banned
My Feedback: (16)

I'm running a wasp .26 and she is awesome!!!! I did not have to seal anything and she runs sweeet!! Does wheelie nooooo problem,only upgrade was the 3 gears inside the tranny to steel and a steel spur gear,other than that,bone stock,over 2 gallon's so far,watch for loose bolt's,these engine WILL loosen pull,rotostart,engine mount,even loctited,blue medium.Good luck!!!

[8D]
Old 06-16-2004, 04:18 AM
Asmodi

ORIGINAL: kf6gub

Jefx, I tried my 2.5; it's gone: It needs a new piston and sleeve. It won't hold an idle. It had seemed promising. I may not want to put anymore money into it. Interesting while it lasted. May just go for the Picco .21. Jim

Just a thought you could go with Trinity's replacement sleeve and piston, from what I have seen and heard, while a little pricey is quite a power boost for the 2.5. Think I saw somewhere it bumps the 1.3hp to 1.6 or 1.7 while maintaining the insane RPM levels of the TRX 2.5, and combine that with the Big Bore pipe for more power down low
Old 06-16-2004, 02:51 PM
t-maxx101

do you think i would break anything if i just did the tranny, and the spur gear???because i dont have much money
Old 06-16-2004, 06:14 PM
jefx

Well the thing is, that with an engine upgrade you will most definately break something at some point, especially if you go with a 21. I listed the things that are most prone to breakage with a bigger engine. That doesn't necessarily mean that all those things will break, and it definatly wouldn't all happen at the same time. If you're low on cash, but you still want a bigger engine, then just wait until something breaks before you replace anything. Just keep your slipper a little loose, and if nothing breaks, then you're that much ahead.

In my experience, my Sirio 18 systematically chewed through every drivetrane part over the course of about a year, and each time something broke, I replaced it with a tougher part.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:10 AM
jefx

Hey, how do I post a picture in this thread? My buddy took some pics of my Maxx with his digital camera and put them on a CD. I took them from the CD and stored them on my computer. I've tried to right click and copy the pic and insert it into IMAGE/IMAGE function, but I can't paste it.

I realize I'm an idiot, but can someone tell me how to do it?
Old 06-20-2004, 11:36 PM
evanditto
My Feedback: (1)

Mine was doing the same thing. I took it into my LHS today and he said that is not normal. He is going to call Werks tomorrow to see what the deal is.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:42 PM
evanditto

IF the main bearing is leaking oil wouldn't it be leaking air as well? I had the same issue with my brand new Picco P2. I took it in to have it checked out and my LHS said it was NOT normal. Hopefully Werks will have a solution.
ORIGINAL: t-maxx101

mine leaks to and i havent had any problems so i just clean it up all the time
Are you all saying it is normal? It only seems logical that if oil leaks out when the engine is not running, then air would leak in when the engine is running. Or does the heat cause expansion which seals the bearing? Hmm. I still don't think it is right.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:07 AM
sweetmaxx

Jefx, have you raced any savages, mgts, or t-maxxs with real big blocks in them(like the wasp 26)? I currently have the fantom .18 but my friend just got the mach 26 conversion for his maxx. I've seen that thing drive and i don't think that my fantom is going to be able to keep up. Do you think the medium block could? thanks
Old 06-21-2004, 05:14 PM
jefx

Are you all saying it is normal? It only seems logical that if oil leaks out when the engine is not running, then air would leak in when the engine is running. Or does the heat cause expansion which seals the bearing? Hmm. I still don't think it is right.
It was only leaking when the engine WAS running. But the last couple times I ran it, it wasn't leaking anymore. I leaned it up a bit and let the temps get up to the 250's. Maybe your expansion theory is correct. Orion says to run it at 180-200, but it doesn't clear out well at those temps. It like the 250's, and there's still a hefty trail of smoke.

Jefx, have you raced any savages, mgts, or t-maxxs with real big blocks in them(like the wasp 26)? I currently have the fantom .18 but my friend just got the mach 26 conversion for his maxx. I've seen that thing drive and i don't think that my fantom is going to be able to keep up. Do you think the medium block could? thanks

Honestly, I doubt that the Fantom 18 will be able to keep up with the Mach 26 in a drag race as long as it keeps the front wheels on the ground. But on a track might be a different story.
I haven't raced anything but a stock 2.5 Tmaxx. My buddy has a relatively stock Maxx, and mine is considerably heavier than his with all my aluminum and steel doodads and Big Joe tires, and mine is quicker than his. Mine takes off faster and shifts into 2nd gear so quickly that most of the time you can't hear the shift. It tops out almost instantly, there is no need to build up rpms. On the top end, I'd say that his has an extra 1 or 2 mph than mine, because of the lower rpm on the .21 and I'm still running stock gearing. I'm thinking of going with a 23t cb. Then I'd have higher top end than his and hopefully better acceleration still.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:54 PM
jefx

Here's a pic of my Wasp.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:00 PM
jefx

And here's a couple of it in action.

[link=http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8372/jn19_010.jpg]CLICK[/link]

[link=http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9894/jn19_012.jpg]CLICK[/link]

[link=http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5307/jn19_007.jpg]CLICK[/link]

[link=http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/975/jn19_014.jpg]CLICK[/link]

[link=http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3334/jn19_30.jpg]CLICK[/link]
Old 06-22-2004, 04:27 PM
jefx

This engine is totally awesome! I can wheelie at any time, any where in the power band!
I can be in 2nd gear and hammer the trigger and the wheels go skyward! WOOOHOOO!

I definately recommend it!
Old 06-22-2004, 04:29 PM
sweetmaxx

Its definetly gonna be my next engine hands down. Thanks for all the info.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Deandome

Nice, Jeff!!

Wherdya get that roll-guard thingie?? I don't want a full cage, but I don't wanna scrape my motor either ("learn to drive"??? HA!!!! ) That bar looks like exactly like my truck, and considering we're both running Picco .21s & Big Bores, we need to keep up with each other!!

Does it mount in existing screw holes, or does it need some basic mods?

Thanks!

Dean
Old 06-22-2004, 04:41 PM
jefx

That's the New Era 3-point roll cage. It's awesome. Look at the pic, and you can see all the scrapes on the corners. It only weighs 3.5oz, and it's super strong. You can get it [link=http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?session_id=ctxmaknegnqpyyvsesracingfiddrt os&part_id=1457]HERE[/link].
Old 06-22-2004, 04:44 PM
jefx

It mounts to the front shock tower, the exhaust pipe hanger hole, and under one of the fuel tank legs.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:45 PM
sweetmaxx

I love how on the action pics there is a huge smile on your face. Gotta love the hobby.

This is kinda random but I think that this website doesn't like my computer. Everytime I click on a link from this website and this website alone, my comp does that send error report crap and it quits me out of my internet explorer windows. Does this ever happen to any of you. Its realll really pissing me off[:@]
Old 06-23-2004, 07:03 PM
jefx

I love how on the action pics there is a huge smile on your face. Gotta love the hobby.
Oh ya, I definately love it. I have a great time when I go out and drive my truck, that's what it's all about. I can't keep a straight face while I drive it! Me and a buddy of mine (the one taking the pics) are always laughing and smiling while we bash around, especially during the fierce crashes. We're always looking for something stupid and fun to do with our trucks, and we're always laughing at the dumb predicaments we get into. Last weekend, I had my jump set up in a parking lot, and we were doing full-speed launches off of it, we both had some gnarly crashes. We even ran into each other head-on at full speed (on accident). I don't know how that happened since we had a huge parking lot to run in, but nothing broke! I laughed for like 5 straight minutes!

I don't know what's up with you computer, this site has always been super fast and friendly to mine, and I never have a problem with any links. Maybe you have your securities (or whatever) set too high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.