Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Traxxas T-Maxx
87.80%
HPI Savage 25
12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

WHICH MT IS FASTER??????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 01:32 PM
TJ31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHICH MT IS FASTER??????????

Hey everyone, sorry to ask so many questions,but which MT do u think is faster? Traxxas T-Maxx or Savage 25 ???
Old 06-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: WHICH MT IS FASTER??????????

Sorry TJ but this is a pretty silly question, as top speed is not something where you want an OPINION, you want the FACTS.

And it's VERY clear that the T-Maxx is significantly faster outta the box than the Savage 25. The Maxx is 40+ mph(42-45??), where the Savage is about 36 mph.

Is that a big diff? Not really. Is that something that should be a major consideration when choosing a truck? NO!!!

But is answers your question!!

Dean
Old 06-29-2004, 02:12 PM
TJ31

What i meant to imply was the FACT not the opinion, srry if u got the wrong impression , I was jus being curious anyway, so which would u recommend dean?

Troy
Old 06-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Deandome

ORIGINAL: TJ31

What i meant to imply was the FACT not the opinion, srry if u got the wrong impression , I was jus being curious anyway, so which would u recommend dean?

Troy
"none of the above"

Between those two, though, it's kinda tough...I'd hafta say the Maxx. The Savage is tough and all, but it has a lotta quirks that would drive me nuts. And since I haven't broken too much on my Maxx, I can't ***** about, well....ANYTHING, so far!!

BUT....for a new buyer, I frankly think you're silly if you don't buy either the New Losi LST or the Traxxas Revo, both of which are scheduled for release in July/early Aug!!! Both are truly NEW trucks, each has broken the mold in different areas, both look extemely capable and they are two of the biggest/best companies in the biz!!

Which of THOSE are best??? Beat's me, but in comparison the the Maxx or Savage, they are both MUCH more state-of the art.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:54 PM
monst@r

LST, Savage, MGT, Mammoth.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:56 PM
TJ31

You know, i have been thinking about the traxxas revo alot, beause i have to save my money to buy one first[:@] so i really havent decided on which one i want, its between T-Maxx, Savage 25, and the revo, for now anywayz so im not quite sure which one to get, i cant make up my mind!
Old 06-29-2004, 04:23 PM
monst@r

What are you going to be doing? Bashing? Racing? Both?
Old 06-29-2004, 04:25 PM
TJ31

I want something that i can really bash around (not too bad, but ya'kno) and it has to be really fast, because eventually i will probably be racing.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Deandome

ORIGINAL: TJ31

I want something that i can really bash around (not too bad, but ya'kno) and it has to be really fast, because eventually i will probably be racing.

"REAL" racing is on a track, where top speed is completely a non-factor. QUICKNESS (acceleration), YES....agility & light wieght, YES. But you NEVER reach anywhere near 40 mph on a track!!!

"Drag racing" with your buddy in the park ("$!0...around the baseball diamond & back here")...that's the only place where this is at all important. But that's pretty trivial, at least to me!!

Dean
Old 06-29-2004, 04:48 PM
monst@r

If you're going to be bashing, the Savage, MGT, and Mammoth are really good choices. For both, I would take the MGT and Mammoth. Just looking at the thickness between the MGT/Savage and the Revo, it looks like it's going break like a twig. But then again, how hard do you bash?
Old 06-29-2004, 05:36 PM
TJ31

I bash fairly hard, but most of the time i spend driving nitro's is flyin over things, or flyin up and down roads, cement, gravel, sand, grass, etc... When i bash it isnt too bad really.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:11 PM
TJ31

Okay thnx for the help everyone, i have decided to go with a Savage 25!!!! Now all i have to do is get saving!!![:@] It's going to be awhile but it'll be worth it!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:20 PM
creyc

My brother has a Savage 25 and my neighbor has a new T-Maxx so naturally everyone races and generally bashes around the yard with the trucks.

"Faster" is a bit subjective, but from what I have noticed of the two trucks the Savage 25 pulls away from the T-Maxx every-time due to it's enormous engine from standstill. Once they get moving however, the T-Maxx generally always overcomes the Savage and takes off. After we switched the gearing in the Savage (Robinson Racing) we got the top speed up considerably. After fiddling with the shift point we got the truck to keep up with the T-Maxx in the top speed category as well.

So even though the T-Maxx is faster out of the box, the power is there in the Savage to run a larger gear and ultimately during normal driving conditions top speed is never reached anyways. By the way, congrats on the Savage, it's a great truck if a little challenging to work on. Very durable overall, with the exception of perhaps the weak plastic spur gear and the plastic wheel nuts inside the wheels.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:32 PM
TJ31

Yeah, thanks creyc. Do u kno off-hand how much a new spur gear would cost? just incase ya'know? I think the reason i went with the savage is because of the big-block power it's capable of, and also a big factor, the durability of the truck.... My friend's dad does alot with planes and making electirc and nitro vehicles, and he really bashes their savage 25, and it has only broken a couple minor things... it's super durable!

Troy
Old 07-07-2004, 08:12 PM
rcmaster123
My Feedback: (3)

TMAXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 06:47 PM
california_zephyr

U know, "2 cool rc" has a gear set to make the t-maxx 3 speed. so while u are updating the savage, u can get this kit. It all really comes down to what you have on your truck. sure, a savage with a bunch of new parts will over come a t-maxx, but who cares? i think that all these trucks have their niches that they fill, for me, the t-maxx is right, for people who want to drive off cliffs, then u might look at the savage, but it's really what u want. the thing with monster trucks is that it's not a fair race because one of the guys might have not tuned his stock truck and the other could have it tuned great and have some hop ups to make it faster. there are just too many variables.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:25 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have raced the savage vs. tmaxx many times the savage has way more bottom and mid , the savage will beat the maxx for about 150-200 ft before the max will pass on top...this is on concrete.....when you are in the dirt the max will need alot more room to pass the savage as it lacks tourque...on grass the savage will eat the maxx badly because of tourque........but the maxx has one of the fastest smallblocks available today whils the savage has one of the weakest big blocks available(not even close to 2.5 hp. more like 1.6 to 1.9 at maxx) a savage with a XTM 24/7 and a max with a Sirio 18 the savage is quite a bit faster bottom to top
Old 07-11-2004, 05:44 PM
slodsm

You guys are not tuning your maxxes right if you are getting killed my Savages. The Savage is the toughest stock truck I have EVER seen but my buddies that have them couldn't touch my 8 lb maxx with a stock motor and sirio pipe, acceleration or top end.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:06 PM
JAMO33

ORIGINAL: supertib

but the maxx has one of the fastest smallblocks available today whils the savage has one of the weakest big blocks available(not even close to 2.5 hp. more like 1.6 to 1.9 at maxx)

Direct from HPIRacing.com
"Size: .25
Horsepower: 2.5 @ 29,000
Maximum RPM: 38,000
Heatsink Head: Machined Billet Aluminum (purple anodized)
Case: Black Heatsink Coating
Carburetor: Composite
Carb Adjustments: High and Low
Connecting Rod: Dual Bushing
Construction: ABC"

Sound like 2.5 HP to me. Maybe they are just lying to sell more cars though huh?

My buddy has a Maxx and I have the Savage...and I happen to like both trucks very much. The Maxx handles much better and is faster but the Savage has much more torque and snap. He tends to break ALOT more parts than me but to be fair he drives his Maxx alot harder and is more brutal to it than I am to mine. Also the parts for the Maxx are reasonably priced and readily available almost anywhere. I have a little more trouble locating stuff for mine. I think that both trucks are excellent in their own way mine being more of a Monster Truck and his being closer to a stadium truck with big tires.

just my .02
Old 07-13-2004, 10:48 AM
N-4-Speeed

A t-maxx is nothing like a stadium truck. MAYBE the s-maxx, but it is supposed to be just for racing anyways. I suppose the t-maxx would be considered slightly closer than the savage but neither resembles one IMO.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:08 AM
DirtDriver89

i highly doubt that the maxx or the savage have 2.5 hp I'd gess the savage at about 2hp and the maxx at like 1.5 not to talk down on either one because i myself have a maxx with a 1.9 hp sirio in it
Old 07-13-2004, 02:20 PM
JAMO33

Well HPI states that the Nitro Star S-25 (which is the engine in the Savage 25) makes 2.5 hp. Now they also tell you that the motor is made by Ofna--it is the same basic motor as the Ofna Force 25, but with minor upgrades to meet HPI's standards. Now Ofna rates their Force 25 at 2.39 hp, which is only .11 less than HPI's Nitro Star S-25. I would have to say that since the Nitro Star has minor upgrades from the Force that HPI's hp rating is probably dead on nuts accurate! But either way I don't care I'm just giving you the FACTS instead of just guessing like you said you were. I will be ordering the Sirio .27 race motor with 3.1 hp...would you like to try and dispute the rating on that motor also? The Maxx only has a 2.5cc motor where as the Savage has 4.1 cc, so there is definitely a big difference in hp. But like I said before I like both trucks very much and they each have their own appeal to me. Not trying to start an argument here, I am just making sure the readers can base their own opinion on Facts not beliefs, or guesstimations.

Tom

****UPDATE****
I found HP numbers from the same article and the Maxx has 1.3hp and the Savage 2.5hp. It's actually in the MT comparison chart in the general Monster Truck Forum.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:24 PM
JAMO33

ORIGINAL: N-4-Speeed

A t-maxx is nothing like a stadium truck. MAYBE the s-maxx, but it is supposed to be just for racing anyways. I suppose the t-maxx would be considered slightly closer than the savage but neither resembles one IMO.
I didn't mean that it WAS a stadium truck I'm just saying that it is fast, manuverable, and agile...like a stadium truck whereas the Savage is larger, heavier, and taller....more like a real monster truck. Again not trying to start an argument just my .02.

Tom
Old 07-13-2004, 08:32 PM
N-4-Speeed

We're cool dude. I was just angry cause i felt like you were saying my truck had the bad factors of an ST like it wasn't tough and had low ground clearance or somethin. I'm proud that my sportmaxx is agile like an ST yet can go over most of the stuff a T could.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Texdav

I personally would not rely on any HP rating by any engine maker as there is no standard for testing. You will notice that RB does not give HP rating because they say it means nothing because no standard for testing. More a sales pitch for buyers. As to 2.5 engine verus .25 HPI engine;the 2.5 is consdiered a very fast small block and the .25 is at the lower end of the new large displacement .25 to .28 engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.