Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Tmaxx differential oil setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 12:51 AM
nitroman99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tmaxx differential oil setup

I am wondering what a good grease weight setup would be to use on my front and rear differential, i mainly do bashing but i like to be able to turn, i am going to use ofna silicone oil.Thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 01:46 AM
ratman572

Default RE: Tmaxx differential oil setup

ORIGINAL: nitroman99

I am wondering what a good grease weight setup would be to use on my front and rear differential, i mainly do bashing but i like to be able to turn, i am going to use ofna silicone oil.Thanks
For whatever it's worth, since the diffs aren't sealed, I have always run a product called "Superlube". It is a clear teflon based grease that is NLGI #2 grade. It is very light viscosity for grease (as greases go), and does adhere well to the gears. Because of the teflon, even when some of it does get flung off the gears, the gears will never be without lube.

Oil is the best (like you mentioned), but keeping it in the diff will be difficult if not impossible.

Almost all auto parts stores carry superlube (I think it is made by permatex or loctite). It comes in small tubes.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:45 AM
binaryterror

Yup the TMAXX doesn't seal the diffs so oil is really not an option unless you want to do alot of cleaning and refilling like weekly.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:40 PM
TexasTMaxx

I use [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFTY0&P=7]this.[/link] it is thick enough that it hasn't leaked out in 3 months of running.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:38 PM
schmism

I packed mine full of axle grease. It was nice and stiff for about 1 run. Weather that means it heated up and puked it all out or what i dont know.

Im considering going to a full spool for the rear anyway.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:07 PM
wakbrdr

I went to a spool in my maxx. Since I only bash it has worked out well, but you will still have to grease the ring and pinion gears
Old 11-18-2004, 06:14 PM
diirtbag
My Feedback: (3)

I have been useing ofnas heavyist wieght oil with good luck and performance the lighter oils leaked out immediatly,the heavy stuff stays for quite awhile
Old 11-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Johnny Ripper
My Feedback: (3)

I have probaly broke 10 or more drive lines with a spool in the rear. If you have good drive lines (like MIP's) and the surface you driving on don't have very much traction you might get away with a spool. But as soon as one wheel gets too much grip like sliding your truck around at full throttle you guaranteed to break drive lines. Pavement is the worst, It even says right on the package for off road use only (I found out the hard way[&o]). If you just have the stock engine on your t-maxx everything should be good with a spool (I have not ran a spool with the stock engine though). A T-maxx with any .21 will be very harsh on your drivelines with a spool. My engine also sheer's off the screws that hold the ring on.

I wouldn't recomend a spool for any one.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:05 PM
meister1993

so why does traxxas sell the diff oil