Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

transmision gear and spur gear questions

Old 03-08-2005, 06:30 PM
fishycomics

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default transmision gear and spur gear questions

Hello
on the traxxas page http://www.buytraxxas.com/default.php?cPath=1_5_572
I have the orginal 3166 66t spur gear
and (2) 3948 18t gear
I am happy with the set up, i kinda dmamged the gears and they are still in working order for 10.00 I rather replace them with new parts. If I go with a different set up. i would like to have climbing power, and speed. would it be advicable to go a low motor gear at 13 and a high motor gear at 22 and should I go with a 72 spur gear, would this give me my power I need to climb as well as speed What I need is advice on how i should set up again. before I order Please help in what i should do thanx guys
3.00 for the 12t-22t and 64,66,70,72
What are the differences in this. slower the lower , faster the more.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:34 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: transmision gear and spur gear questions

climbing power and speed
I do not think you can have both.

- Climbing ability involves torque (fewer teeth in the wheel)
- Speed involves top end (more teeth on the wheel)

Same goes for real drag racing. I have 2.73 gears in the rear, so I am slow out of the hole but I have a high trap speed. (deadly on the highway) ;-)
Old 03-08-2005, 07:39 PM
DebianDog

Ah here we go:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Inte...2146373/tm.htm
Old 03-08-2005, 08:31 PM
fishycomics

So my best bet is to keep the same and posably go just a lil lower on the motor and higher on the center spur .
Old 03-09-2005, 03:44 AM
DebianDog

yep
Old 03-09-2005, 04:46 AM
fishycomics

I'll do that and order all the gears that are neccessary for 10.00 it is good 4 me
Old 03-09-2005, 09:43 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep in mind that having a 2 speed means the tranny has 2 ratios, and also you can change the tranny ratios for both 1st and second. You can gear down and go close ratio on the tranny gears and you will get a climbing/dragging/pulling monster that won' have all that much top-end. But if you go wide ratio on the tranny you will have a nice low bottom end while maintaining adequate top-end, or even a high low-end and an extremely high top-end, depending on the spur and pinion ratio you go with.

Although, I have to admit I know nothing about the availability of internal tranny gear sets. I do know that you can get both close and wide ratio sets, but I don't know if you can get the individual gears to do your own setups.

I'm still working out the best pinion to spur ratio for myself. Once I nail it down, I'll probably get a wide ratio gear set, for versatility.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:56 AM
DebianDog

Thanks for the remind TTC. I always forget about the tranny For the real car I have a "tranny guy" Guess I will have to dig into it a bit more.

Years ago... teachers told me math and ratios would come in handy, "one day". [:-]
Old 03-09-2005, 01:07 PM
fishycomics

they make from 8t -22 plus t on the motor and the center the spur 62,64,66,68,72 and well I might just go a lil bigger on teh center and alil lower and higher on the motors, thanx for the wider range which I think I had mentioned,
Old 03-12-2005, 01:44 PM
fishycomics

update;
I got a 70 spur gear and 18t. the 18t or 20t do not fit. so to answer the questions you cannot go higher tooth and higher spur, the reason. the 20t is bigg and the 70 spur is bug you need to hange the motor housing.
So I wen with my orginal 16tooth, and a 70 spur a fster off the line . So I might do a opposite put in a 66 spur and a 20 toot on the high motor to get a fasterr high gear.

1. bigger spur will give a faster off the line, and 1500 batts ipopp and flip the truck on start up.
can never trust a hobbie shop
Old 03-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Twan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't want to replace any more spur gears then get a Robinson Racing Slipper Kits in the size you want.