Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Maxx Gasser Build Notes (Gas S-Maxx Conversion) Pics, Vid

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Maxx Gasser Build Notes (Gas S-Maxx Conversion) Pics, Vid

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Torax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maxx Gasser Build Notes (Gas S-Maxx Conversion) Pics, Vid

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Hey guys. For those of you that have done this already. How long are your Engines with the clutch, muffler, carb, etc on them? Im afraid my weedeater is going to be too long.[] Its 10.5 inches with everything I can cut(plastic wise) cut, and trimmed. Motor is running good, and clutch is working great; Its just too long unless I extend the frame about 7 inches which I guess is what I will try to do as bad as I hate to. I have an old McCullough chainsaw I tore apart too; but the carb is pretty messed up on it I think. It is much more compact though; and I thought about trying a chain drive with it, but I really want a 2 speed tranny, and plus the clutch is different on it. I dont know. Im still thinking about what im gonna do. Thanks for any help.

Eric
what model is it ??
Old 03-02-2006, 03:42 PM
northriverflames

Hey
Just thought id show some pictures of my gasser. Its still a work in progress, and now i have to get a new carb for the motor after rolling it and breaking it. After I get all of the bugs out of the truck im going to build a completely new chassis by using the equipment at a friends machine shop. Hope this helps inspire some of you to build this truck. I was driving my gasser for the last 2 weeks about every day. In my opinion its better than a nitro any day. Other than breaking stock parts. And yes it it 4x4.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28573.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	418824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62015.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	418825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26254.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	418826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45457.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	418827  
Old 03-02-2006, 04:28 PM
moorek550

is that an ESC on there? if so what is its purpose?
Old 03-05-2006, 10:25 PM
northriverflames

Yes thats an esc.....I bought the truck as a rolling chassis emaxx, my friend used the motors, tranny and diff to build an emaxx/stampede. So he gave me the old esc. im using it to power my reciever since i dont have a battery box. And i would prefer to use the 6 cell packs since they seem to have more kick than the 4 aa batteries. I will post some pics of the emaxx/stampede. Just for an update, I screwed the tranny up and have just ordered all metal gears. Hopefully I wont have any more tranny trouble after that! And i just finished building a new aluminum driveshaft. I dont have any pics yet. but im using steel u joints that i bought aftermarket at my LHS and have drilled out one side of each and I am using an aluminum 1/4 inch dowl for the drive shaft. it works great and only weighs a little more than the stock plastic ones. Ill try and get some pics posted of it later,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62238.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	421015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44702.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	421016  
Old 03-05-2006, 10:31 PM
moorek550

that is a good idea, running the 6 cell on a gasser, they can handle the extra weight, and they will last alot longer, good thinking.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:26 PM
northriverflames

Thanks....Eventually i plan on setting up a resistor or something that will convert the 7.2 volts to 6 volts, that way i dont need the esc, but until i get the bugs out of the truck and gret a new one built ill leave the esc!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

BE CARFULL!!!

A resistor will only create a voltage drop when there is current. So, when the system is idle… the voltage will go up. And… under heave load… the voltage will drop. You need a real voltage regulator. They are easy to build. Do a little looking around, and you will find the info you need.

The easy way to do it is to just cut one of the cells out of your 7.2v pack. 5 cells will be 6V. (NiCd and NiNH are 1.2v each)

Look at my battery in the first few pics. You will see it’s a 5 cell pack. I use 1000 mah cells to give a nice long run time.

Good luck.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:07 PM
northriverflames

Dr. Honda, My grandfather teaches an electronics course at a college, and I asked him about how to convert the 7.2 volts to 6 and he told me to call him back in a couple days and he will have an adapter made up. He made one for me before that did different voltages. So im not too worries. But yes you are right about the resistors not working properly for this application. Normally i would convert the packs to 5 cell, but i use these cells for my r/c boat as well. So i would like to keep the same size packs. Thanks!

P.S. Dr Honda, Do you know where i would be able to get ahold of a small milling maching or lathe? Im looking for a small desktop one. I have a catalogue where i can buy a kit for a small lathe, but would like to find a small milling machine. Or would i be able to use a drill press and the the proper bits and then buy/make a vice that moves? Any info would be great!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:19 AM
JDownard

ORIGINAL: Peterbilt

Just an idea I had...

What if you turned the engine 180 degrees so that the output shaft is facing the back of the truck and had a 1/8 style chassis like buggies so that you basically eliminate the transmission, decrease CG, and make hooking the motor up easier? Without the tranny, would the truck be faster or slower? This is almost a direct drive idea I would imagine...A single driveshaft would connect the motor to the differential.
I was sittin here tinkering and was wondering the same thing, would the rear differential would hold up to a weed eater speeds.. anybody know? I was thinkin about buyin one and hookin it straight to the weed eater (with clutch) to see if it melts it with the weed eater wide open, but maybe somebody can save me some money.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Firehawk21

Bumpity bump
Old 03-22-2006, 10:36 AM
northriverflames

Bump
Old 03-22-2006, 02:11 PM
tejotasbd

im planning on putting a gasser in a 1/8th buggy (a generic i got used from ebay) i too would like to know if i could eliminate the spur gear and couple the engine's output shaft directly to the driveshaft running to the rear diff - im guessing we wont know till somebody tries, lol - im willing to keep the spur, my only concern is still how to couple/link a clutchbell to the shaft on this gas engine - given that we are all using different engines, our problems and/or solutions are all gonna be slightly different ..... im just gonna have to bite the bullet and get an engine(whole weedwacker) from home depot and get at it
Old 03-24-2006, 02:15 PM
revo2themaxx

Hey how much for a conversion kit??i have front/rear ends already.PM ME someone.thanks
Old 04-10-2006, 09:12 PM
northriverflames

I think everyone is taking a break from their gassers....other than me.....for some reason iv broken two input shafts for the tranny...(trx4992) i snapped the shaft twice and then recently shattered the gear. The obvious reason is my centrifical clutch was sticking on the motor and was engaging at a high rpm. I would like to find a better way to direct the power into the tranny. If anyone has any ideas let me know! I think another reason for my troubles is that i ported and polished the intake and exhaust on the motor. It seems to have a lot more power. Im not gonna go buy a smaller motor, so i have to figure out how to get a good tranny set up!

Thanks

Tony
Old 04-10-2006, 10:42 PM
M007GUNIT
My Feedback: (1)

I had a solution for this I had an extra output shaft and drilled a hole for the gear and then ground down the square piece for the gears and used some of the squeare piece as a spacer and it held up fine if you need a picture my e-mail is [email protected] just ask.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

I ran into the same problem 3-4 months ago and have been way too busy to mess with any of it (sorry about the how to falling thru the cracks)... even my 1/6 FG gasser is having issues that are probably a simple fix, but still not enough time. I plan to eventually replace the transmission with a chain drive for a direct transfer to the drive shafts below the chassis. I just need to figure what gear ratio I would like and order the parts.... I am thinking to gear it up, like a 1:2 ratio to eat up some torque and give some speed, but I will just have to try it to know.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:42 AM
tejotasbd

right now ive got 2 used engines that i need spark plugs to test - once i get one ( or both) running, then ill have drivetrain decisions to make ( my previous posts) but right now ive just got to get an engine running - "baby steps" lol
Old 04-23-2006, 01:36 PM
woodymaxx

I haven't been on here for awhile and have seen everyones been buisy. I saw that someone wanted to know how I built my truck and stuff awhile back so if your interrested let me know. anyways I have been at a stand still with the truck though because I can't keep it together. The universal joint that links the clutch to the tranny always fails. It was a 1/4 universal joint for a ratchet wrench. The pins would always break or fall out that held the whole thing together. Now I am going to try the bendy drive shaft thats in a weed wacker to try and link up the tranny and the engine. I wish I could just directly line up the tranny. If I can't figure this out or if I do and more stuff breaks I just want to make it chain driven for the reliability. Has anyone found a place to get the little chains and sprokets? and which ones to make it close to what the tranny did? thanks
Old 04-25-2006, 06:59 AM
M007GUNIT
My Feedback: (1)

I got some from e-bay just look up #25 chain and sprocket and you will find something still trying to figure out how to mount it. maybee a center diff from a buggy.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:29 AM
jasonx9

what are all u guys doing with ur 2.5 if u guys dont want them i will take them just tell me and ill take them hell i even pay shipping
Old 04-25-2006, 01:42 PM
woodymaxx

I found some chain and two little sprockets that are the same size. if I installed this how would it compare with haveing the tranny? more top speed? more torque?
Old 04-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Ford/Trucks

Hay guys.I to will be starting a custom build with MAXX rinning gear and a gasser engine.I hope this thread keeps going cause I am still a little shacky on making the engine connect to the MAXX tranny.Weel see what I can learn as this thread keeps growing.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Ford/Trucks

Bump..
Old 04-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Ford/Trucks

BUMP..
Old 04-30-2006, 10:06 PM
ttarantino

Has anyone ever heard of these guys http://team4monsters.freehosting.net/about.html
They seem to have done quite a few of these conversions to gassers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.