Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

OS 18TM TUNING QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 09:46 PM
binaryterror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS 18TM TUNING QUESTION

I'd not give you the turns out my needle is, that is too dependant upon location, temps, and altitude man.

Seriously, why not try going leaner a bit on the high speed needle.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:31 AM
audisaft

ORIGINAL: DebianDog

Why do you have to add oil??? Does Jero fuel not come with lubricants?
Not adding anything to the fuel, except air then. ;-) The fuel is 25 nitro and 12% oil (castor/synthetic). Sorry if I got you confused.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:54 AM
audisaft

ORIGINAL: binaryterror
I'd not give you the turns out my needle is, that is too dependant upon location, temps, and altitude man.
Well, I just wanted to get the picture, something to give me an idea if my setting was way off, not a facit. And you are right ofcourse.

ORIGINAL: binaryterror
Seriously, why not try going leaner a bit on the high speed needle.
I suppose I will, but it's getting real hot man. And the air temp here is like 10 deg Celcius (50 deg Fahrenheit). And what about the "too lean" signs?
Old 05-24-2005, 03:00 PM
stuuewnitro

I have my .18TM dialed in very nicely. It wheelies from a standstill but that ok with me. I run in the 230-250 temp range. At tank end its about 275. I use McCoy 59 plugs. Tried the McCoy 9 plugs and had to lean a little since they re cold plugs. But i was running sluggish and hot and it turned out to be the tank seal. It was stretched so I replace it and it screams now. So check the seal on the lid of the fuel tank.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:07 PM
kidswift

I run my 18TM at about 215 degrees and it runs great I dont have any idea what is wrong while yours is getting hot but it should make an noticable amount of more power than the 2.5 mine will wheelie from dead start to 1/4 throtle and at the end of the tank it is only running about 245 great motor
Old 05-27-2005, 04:22 AM
RC-vitamin

I was in same trouble. My Revo didn't want to shift to second gear. [>:]I try all things with engine.
But the solution was to adjust the "Torque Control slipper clutch". U can read it in Revo manual page 37.
I've adjust less slippage and my truck came back from hell.

Hi
Csaba from Hungary
Old 05-29-2005, 05:45 PM
audisaft

OK, I've had som progress here. When I had no luck adjusting the LSN and HSN, I went for the "MSN". I backed it out a half turn which really helped the engine mid range rpm performance. But what really seem to be promising, is that now after having run 4-5 more tanks through the engine at track, the temp seem to be dropping. I guess I have been running a bit rich this far, and had to to stay in recommended temp area (220-240), but now the temp is dropping and which allows me to lean out the engine some more hopefully finally getting the full power from the engine. Anyways I was somewhat happy with the performance after adjusting the third "needle". So if there's more power to collect, I suppose I'm getting extatic. Time will tell!
Old 05-30-2005, 02:19 PM
teamgraphx

so is it time to rebuild? This is a pic of the piston[:'(]!!Can't get second gear to hit nor will it even pull the wheels up. Iv'e done everything else, sealed all air leaks, Tuned all needles, ect.

click to enlarge..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40111.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	278229  
Old 05-30-2005, 09:59 PM
fastcrash

that engine looks like you have fed it a healthy diet of dust and dirt......[sm=lol.gif]

lummer.........YOU HAVE AN AIR LEAK SEAL YOUR ENGINE AS I HAVE TOLD U!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 10:07 PM
teamgraphx

R you sure???? yea yea.. I had a leak in the fuel tank and fixed that, I use clean air filters just not sure where dirt would be getting in. I wasn't useing fuel filter though so I orderd the rebuild and fuel line filters.

Any tips on the break in, your heiness
Old 05-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Lummer

Dude, I haven't posted in this thread for like a week now. Seeing how a few other folks chose to hijack it with their engine problems, I figured I'd let them have it. So whats with the freakin all caps, huge font, screaming at me BS?

And FYI there was no airleak. I think it was originally leaking around the head like I pointed out in the picture, but I tightened that down and it seemed to help. I think it was mostly the crappy plug my LHS sold me. My engine is now running fine. I popped in an LC3 plug and put on a motor saver filter, richened it up a little for the new filter, retuned and everything seems to be OK. Plenty of power. Wheelies with even the 36T spur. I'm more than happy. Temps in the 215 to 230 range.

Thanks for the suggestions fastcrash, but go scream at someone else. I took your suggestions, and that wasn't the problem.

Old 05-30-2005, 10:19 PM
teamgraphx

congrats to you lummer. The 18 is awsome, i'm just in need of a rebuild. Don't mind fastcrash,, he's from PA
Old 05-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Lummer

ORIGINAL: teamgraphx

congrats to you lummer. The 18 is awsome, i'm just in need of a rebuild. Don't mind fastcrash,, he's from PA
Yep, I'm now officially impressed with the engine. It is awesome.

Roger that on the PA. Its all good. He was just trying to help and thought I was being a moron and ignoring his suggestions. I checked the engine as in the article I linked earlier in this thread. Good article on airleaks by the way. May want to check it out...
Old 06-08-2005, 10:02 PM
SnidelyXXXT

Lean the bottom an hour and richen the top. Sounds like the top is way lean and the rich bottom is compensating for it
Old 06-08-2005, 10:12 PM
SnidelyXXXT

Just as a point of interest, the first thing I do when I get a new engine is to check that the head is tight. Then I get out my trusty Racer's Edge Air Seal (if you don't have any, get some, it's cheap) and seal the backplate and under the carb. I can't tell you how I used to struggle with tunes until one of my factory racer buddies dialed me into this. BTW, Air Seal is sooooooo much better than Permatex or RTV, and it's a lot neater too.

Lummer, glad you got it tuned. I'm building a Revo with the TM in it to race on the Small Block class. What gearing are you running? I'm thinking maybe 15/37 would work nice, particularly with the close ratio kit and forward only. It's going on a huge diet too...LOL
Old 06-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Lummer

I'll get some of that air seal next new engine I get. Thanks for the advice. As far as gearing, I tried going to a 36T spur with the stock CB, but I think I'm going back to the 38T spur. I practiced at our local track a little bit and it would seem that gearing is a little tall for that track. There are a few tight sections with jumps coming out of the corners and its tough getting up enough speed to clear the double with some finesse. So I'm thinking of trying the 38T and see how that pans out.

With the 36T the top end is impressive, but that doesn't mean jack unless your lap times benefit from it. So I think next practice before raceday I'm switching back and seeing if it better suits my driving.

And my Revo needs a diet too. Feed her a healthy helping of titanium and aluminum where posible and she should shed the pounds fast !
Old 03-25-2006, 09:52 PM
ccs77

You might try adjusting the mixture needle/midrange needle, it's the screw on the opposite side of your LSN. If it doesn't idle down after high speed runs it's to lean. If it blows excess smoke off the line it's to rich. Other than that tune your high speed needle after some long runs and checking temps. My OS 18 likes to run at 220. Then pinch test the LSN to make sure it's where it needs to be and you've got it tuned...

My Revo wheelies if I romp on it anywhere between 0-10MPH. I set the shift point very low, most of the tiume I can;t even hear it shift. I've had to replace the 2nd gear clutch from too late of engagement from the factory.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:03 AM
rcdude37

ORIGINAL: ccs77

You might try adjusting the mixture needle/midrange needle, it's the screw on the opposite side of your LSN. If it doesn't idle down after high speed runs it's to lean. If it blows excess smoke off the line it's to rich. Other than that tune your high speed needle after some long runs and checking temps. My OS 18 likes to run at 220. Then pinch test the LSN to make sure it's where it needs to be and you've got it tuned...

My Revo wheelies if I romp on it anywhere between 0-10MPH. I set the shift point very low, most of the tiume I can;t even hear it shift. I've had to replace the 2nd gear clutch from too late of engagement from the factory.
notice the date...
but since this is here, anyone reading know the stock settings of the tm???
Old 03-26-2006, 10:13 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

low end flush, mid .5 in from flush not sure high i have mine out two turns, but it is fresh yet. I didn't lean her out yet.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:07 AM
ccs77

2 1/2 turns from closed is stock HSN settings. Sorry for bringing up a dead thread.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:35 AM
Indecline099

i wonder how this guys truck is doing now???
Old 08-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Losi Racer - inactive

Ok, i know this is pretty much outdated but i have some questions, so if anyone here could please answer for me if possible. Ok, i got my Revo about 2 years ago. It was supposivly the "Truck Of The Year".. And i got it, and i ran the number of tanks asked to break it in. And i never touched the needles. And I took it to a track, ran really nice. Was very fast. And then i ran it about 2 weeks later, and it started to act funny. So i tried tunning it, and it would never seem to run right. So i just put it back to stock. And it still won't run right. I even took it to my local hobby shop, and they messed with it, and they said oh, it runs great now! And i took it home, and ran it, and it ran horrible. If i gave it full throttle it would just stal. So, i figured it was maybe because of the weather. So i changed the needles just a little bit, and it was still horrible. And i've tried everything that i could possibly do. I knew i should have never bought a Traxxas in the first place being that my dad used to race Team Losi XX's back in the day. And he is really good with r/c cars. So i figured, hey. Why not let him screw with it. He tried everything. And it would still never run right. And in the winter one year before I started having problems, i took it out into the snow, and there was a pile of snow packed tight from a plow, so i made sure the snow was really tight so i could jump it. So i did a few backflips off of it. And it was fine. And then a week after that is when it started acting funny.

So, I have not touched my Revo in about 3 months because all i do is get mad at it, and i don't even feel like wasting my gas in it. So, what i think im going to do is buy a OS.18TM for my Revo. Maybe get the starter box for my Revo. And then see how it runs. And maybe one day ill buy this new CF Pipe, and see if it adds any performence. But how knows. I really look forword to success with my Revo. I just seem to have a lot of problems with my revo for some gay reason. And i have alot of money into the dang truck. Especially gears. It eats up gears alot for some reason. And after fooling with it for about 30 minutes and trying to get it running right. I finally get it going pretty good, and then if i make a stop for it to put more gas into it or something. I hit the throttle, and the truck does not move. And i'm not even going to mess with the piece of crap. lol.I just need to get this new engine, and make this thing as sweet as can be. Maybe it can just be a "Revo" instead of a "Traxxas Revo" lol..

Oh Yeah. My Dad just recently bought a Team Losi XXX-NT Adam Drake 2. And he has a oS in it. And he runs Trinity Fuel. Maybe you guys should try running Trinity Fuel. His Truck Runs Great! Team Losi is a good truck with the oS.

oS is the way to go baby!
Old 09-01-2007, 07:16 PM
creepr

2 weeks ago i got a tmaxx. right after break in the piston swized up the the piston sleve. cause the piston sleve was in backwars not leting the piston get lubricate. so i went out and got a OS 18 tm and installed it. the motor ran about 310-325 i tried riching it but the the temp didnt drop and engin lacked power.on the 4th tank i decided to try and get it up to second gear. but the truck didnt want to shift. so i ran a few more tanks through it at low rps but to no luch it still wont shift and alwasy runs hot around 330 but if i richen it it wont run right any advise.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:05 AM
oslover

Hi

The Os 18 tm is the best engine iv ever had, untill this day im having trouble tuning my engine and this is a first where im about to throw it in the bin witch is sad because iv had so much fun with it, all i need to know is whats the standed tune for it?