Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

New T-MAXX Owner questions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New T-MAXX Owner questions?

hello all i bought my son a t-maxx for xmas and was reading on here that the TRX 2.5 is hard to tune. Any tips or things that we should watch out for. And not just the engine either are there any parts that a person should upgrade? Also is it ok to run this thing in the snow. We live in Canada so i hope its all right.

Flyboy76
Old 12-02-2005, 03:26 PM
sami2002

Default RE: New T-MAXX Owner questions?

The biggest tip i can give you as a beginner from my experience is watch that Engine tempreture. it should not go above 270F.

and there are good tips on snow driving just search for snow.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:58 PM
nitroracer20

dont touch the needles...go to the lhs and ask then what and where each needle does/is. Its bettrer top be hands on with that so you know what u do. but if u cant get to the lhs then just dont touch the lsn. The hsn is all you need when your a beginner to simplify everything.
Really just get some help before you start touching things
Old 12-02-2005, 08:25 PM
kgoings

I am a newbie...and I bought the TMAXX...so far not so bad. I haven't got it tuned yet but only because everytime I start to do something my wife comes and needs me to start doing something for her. There is a DVD that comes with the truck that tells you how to do it...so far so good. You start with the high speed needle and then the low...then the idle.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:06 PM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

I agree with nitroracer20. My t-max I rearly have to play with the low speed needle and never had to touch the idle needle after I initially got it set up. just like nitro stated get your LHS to help you get it setup the first time. then when the need arises then you will know what to do.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:15 AM
T-MAXX1234
Banned

yeah everybodys right. just go to a hobby shop and have them tell you what the needles do.but dont messsa around with those.and the t-maxx is a easy to tune truck. its easy to break in to. and make sure you seal your electronics before you run it in the snow. read thing like snow proofing a t-maxx.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:47 AM
Crf250ed

Personally, I think if you can't get to a hobby shop like said above, just go for it. Theres these things called default needle settings, whenever your confused go back to them. Hsn-4 lsn-flush.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:55 AM
DaveG55

My opinion is skip the lhs, read the manual through a couple times, watch the dvd a couple times and go for it yourself. It is NOT that hard and if you familiarize yourself with procedures and parts locations before hand you'll be fine.
Two things you need to be concerned with.
Break in temps. It's cold up there and it's important to get the engine temps up to at least 200f during break-in. You may need to wrap the head in foil or a rag to get them that high.
Running in snow. Yeah, you can BUT, again, you'll want to watch your engine temps. Running below 200f is not good for the engine. Also, a hot engine really won't like being covered in snow so watch out for drifts, etc. And one last thing. The electronics won't like getting wet. The rx and servos will start doing very strange things if the get wet.
As for upgrades....The only one I reccomend for brand new newbies is a failsafe. Other than that, break-in the truck, learn how it runs and reacts, play with it and see what breaks (for sure something will break), work on the truck THEN decide if you need or even want upgrades. By the time you do that you'll have a bit of experence and have a better idea of what YOU want not what I or someone else thinks you need.
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!
Good Luck and HAVE FUN!!!!!
Old 12-03-2005, 11:15 AM
mayhem272

yea my jato has the same motor
its good at first
but now its ready for a replacement
but yes some days will be tricky but my mayhem with the stock .26 is so easy to tune it never every stalled on me once
Old 12-03-2005, 11:16 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Follow the break in procedure verbatim. Watch the video, read the book, watch the video, then read the book again on Christmas Eve, so you'll be prepared to help him properly break his new truck in.
Make small neelde adjustments....I like 1/8th turn at the time....then run the truck around some.....you can't tell whether the adjustment is good or bad, just by holding the truck and guinng the throttle.....
Stop over and say howdy some time too... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/REVO_T_Max_Obsession/
Old 12-03-2005, 06:15 PM
lhntx

i suggest you get an os carb or better, buy an os engine and everything rpm.