Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-Maxx Troubleshooting Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 06:23 PM
rcmaster123
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-Maxx Troubleshooting Thread

ORIGINAL: c-crum

well i have an E-maxx and i made two seven cell battery packs and i was wondering if this will burn up my speed control?
No, its made for it
Old 02-24-2006, 10:55 AM
cardgabe

I'm not sure where the shift point screw should be set to. Did the screw completely come out? I read that if you turn it too much it'll fall out and you have to rebuild? I would say try to tighten it down a bit and then do some test runs. Slight turns on it change the shift point a lot. Mine would barely ever shift, so I turned it about 1/8 turn and it started shifting almost perfect, maybe I got lucky. Goodluck with that.

Does anyone know what are good shock springs for the Tmaxx? When I set my TMaxx down it sags a little... I'd definately like a little bit stiffer spring in back so it doesn't sag so much when driving or standing still.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:51 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

Hey, I getting a new engine for my T-maxx. Was thinking about the 2.5r because the TRX 2.5 was good to me. Any have a maxx with a 2.5 in it? How is it running? do you have to do any mods. for it to fit? Thanks, LTW.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:04 PM
cardgabe

Hey Warbirds, I don't have a 2.5R or a 2.5 in my TMaxx. I only got my TMaxx a few weeks ago from a friend and it still has the stock Pro .15 engine. I've been seriously considering the conversion to fit the 2.5 or 2.5 R in it, but now they have the 3.3 so I don't know. Also there's a few other posts about good engines for these TMaxx's.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:47 PM
love those warbirds

ORIGINAL: cardgabe

Hey Warbirds, I don't have a 2.5R or a 2.5 in my TMaxx. I only got my TMaxx a few weeks ago from a friend and it still has the stock Pro .15 engine. I've been seriously considering the conversion to fit the 2.5 or 2.5 R in it, but now they have the 3.3 so I don't know. Also there's a few other posts about good engines for these TMaxx's.
Yeah I know. It's got my undiys in a bunch. IDK what to get. I was also looking in to an os. 18 but it is more $$ and requires modding
Old 02-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Gullwing72

warbirds the OS .18 TM is a direct fit drop in. I just installed one in mine in about 15 minutes, and I am new to the whole nitro thing. Plus I upgraded my clutch while I was in there. Just wanted to let you know, didn't want that to sway you away from the OS........GW
Old 02-25-2006, 12:36 PM
peter_bryan27

Stupid question, i live up north and the temps are cold, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to keep the steering servo working, because after 5 minutes my steering servo locks up, and it is only about 18 degrees f. Also how do you prevent water from getting into the engine? because i have bent a few conceiting rods in nitro boats, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

thanks

Also when i go to start my engine in cold weather (it's bean sitting in all night so it is warm) it takes a minute to actually fire, and i know my engine is fine (fast trucks and tall rocks don't go together nicely), i also have a hot glo plug in there , will that help or hinder performance?, any help would be nice.

Thanks again
Old 02-25-2006, 05:06 PM
love those warbirds

ORIGINAL: Gullwing72

warbirds the OS .18 TM is a direct fit drop in. I just installed one in mine in about 15 minutes, and I am new to the whole nitro thing. Plus I upgraded my clutch while I was in there. Just wanted to let you know, didn't want that to sway you away from the OS........GW
O, Ok, Thanks alot![8D]
Old 02-26-2006, 09:16 PM
cardgabe

I have the version 1 of the TMaxx... with the Pro .15 engine in it. I'd like to upgrade my suspension to the longer A-arms like the 2.5 and 3.3 Maxx's. All what do I need for this? Longer A arms? Longer shafts to go from the diff to the wheels? Longer steering rods? Is there a full kit for this? A friend just ordered a 3.3 and is giving me his A arms if I'd like because he ordered Titanium for it, so what else would I need?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:15 AM
D0G
My Feedback: (1)

I have the version 1 of the TMaxx... with the Pro .15 engine in it. I'd like to upgrade my suspension to the longer A-arms like the 2.5 and 3.3 Maxx's. All what do I need for this? Longer A arms? Longer shafts to go from the diff to the wheels? Longer steering rods? Is there a full kit for this? A friend just ordered a 3.3 and is giving me his A arms if I'd like because he ordered Titanium for it, so what else would I need?
Sounds like your on the right track, Steering, CVD's (shaft from Diff to wheel) and thats about it. Everything else will work, and I just did this conversion, I couldnt find a kit, but there may be one out there.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:12 AM
gschofield

Hey guys, I've had my t-maxx now for a month or so and it runs great. I had some initial tuning problems but all seems fixed now after I had my lhs tune it professionally. They showed me some tips and since then all has been good. My question is about wheelies. I don't want to do them all the time but I can't seem to get it to wheelie at all. Sometimes if I land right off a jump it will wheelie but not usually. I've seen videos even on the traxxas website that have shown t-maxx's wheeling. Any ideas??? thanks for your help.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:17 AM
cardgabe

gschofield,
I'm assuming that since you've only had your TMaxx a short time that you have the TMaxx 2.5? Unfortunately, many nitro trucks aren't designed to just do wheelies at the pull of the throttle trigger. They have a slipper clutch designed to absorb some torque so you don't just spin your tires all over the place. I'm not sure how tight you can tighten this and have it work... because if it's too tight then you will burn gears out. I'm sure others will post more about that.

Thanks for the reply also DOG. I assumed that all I need are the things that obviously need to be wider. (CVD, A arms, steering rods) I saw somewhere that the shock towers are supposed to be different too? Or isn't that necessary?
Old 02-27-2006, 10:13 AM
D0G
My Feedback: (1)

I saw somewhere that the shock towers are supposed to be different too? Or isn't that necessary?
No Shock towers are exactly the same.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:27 PM
gschofield

Yah I don't want to break the truck at all, I ust saw videos and it looked pretty neat. I suppose if the truck wasn't four wheel drive it would wheelie. If anyone has any other ideas let me konw, if not then atleast I know I'm not doing something wrong. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:26 PM
cardgabe

I think you are correct in assuming that if it wasn't 4 wheel drive that you could do wheelies. It's possible to remove the front drive shaft and just have a rear wheel drive TMaxx also.

I'm glad to see people posting in this thread. I think it'll be awesome to have one TMaxx troubleshooting thread for everyone to refer to with problems. Thanks for the posts everyone. You've all helped me a lot!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:04 AM
cardgabe

Ok, question for everyone. Is there a high torque steering servo that I can switch to that I can use with the stock TQ3 radio and receiver? Right now I just have the Traxxas 2055 in it and the steering seems pretty weak. When I'm driving fast, it steers pretty well, but at a stand still or slow, the steering is very slow and weak. I'd prefer not to spend TOO much money, but I guess it'll be worth it in the long run. Any options would be great.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:46 PM
love those warbirds

I know hitec has allot of high torque servos for good prices. Check on tower hobbies for them.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:46 PM
cardgabe

Thanks Warbirds... I'll have to check those Hitec's out. They should make a pretty big difference, right?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Gullwing72

Hitec HS-645MG is in all of mine I run JR and my wife and daughter still run the stock TX and they work great.....GW
Old 03-01-2006, 09:58 AM
cardgabe

Thanks a lot Gullwing. Those servos are not a bad price at all! I think I'm going to order one of those. I do have another question though. My sister's fiance ordered the TMaxx 3.3 last weekend and its supposed to be here today or tomorrow. Now he'll be runnin' circles around my original Pro .15. haha Are there any direct drop in motors that I could swap out to use in mine? I don't have the 2.5 so most people don't ever really talk about this on here. Everyone wants to swap out for the 2.5. Or should I buy the 2.5 conversion for the Tmaxx, then put in some sort of OS .18 or something? Any motor ideas or links would be great.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:14 PM
love those warbirds

I'm not familler with the pro .15 set up. But the rage now has been ppl saving up for the new 3.3 engine coming out. I'm thinking of just droping in a 2.5r in places of my TRX .15. I know O.S. Has allot of drop ins for the maxx.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:38 PM
cardgabe

In another thread, someone told me that the O.S. Max .18CV-RX would be a good motor to switch to instead of my Pro .15. It s $109.99 from Tower Hobbies. Is this a good deal? Is this a direct drop in? Here is the link [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP7&P=0]OS .18 CV-RX[/link] Any info would be great... how would this compare to the new 3.3?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:56 PM
love those warbirds

Well, as tower says the OS has 3.0 CC's. The 3.3 engine, well, has 3.3 CC's So it's more powerful but OS is know for sweet engines. I have been looking at the os too. I believe thats a drop but I'm not sure. And that is a sweet deal. The design is really up to you and personal perfance. I think I'm going with the traxxas motors because I know they will slide right in an are good engines just the carb. body's are weak and their fussy to tune. Hope that helped[8D]
Old 03-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Gullwing72

I have the 2.5 version so the OS .18Tm was a direct drop in. I love mine. Now it stands up on pavement any time I want it to, and in doing so it is only running about 230 to 240 on the temp gauge. It is easier to keep tuned. I tune it for the weather of the day and just go drive. I was constantly tuning my 2.5 and checking the temp. I got tire of it fast. In fact the 2.5 was out of it 2 weeks after I got the truck. I will say this about the 2.5 my wife's stays tuned pretty good and runs cool just like my OS. I think some just are better than others. I bought a used maxx off ebay and I am going to drop my old engine in it and give it another shot, at least this time I have the OS to fall back on. Good luck.......GW
Old 03-01-2006, 10:37 PM
wilky

ORIGINAL: cardgabe

In another thread, someone told me that the O.S. Max .18CV-RX would be a good motor to switch to instead of my Pro .15. It s $109.99 from Tower Hobbies. Is this a good deal? Is this a direct drop in? Here is the link [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP7&P=0]OS .18 CV-RX[/link] Any info would be great... how would this compare to the new 3.3?
The engine in your link is wrong. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP8&P=0]This is the drop in engine for the tmax[/link]. The other one has a different output shaft.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.