Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Turbos......

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 11:44 AM
plaidfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbos......

wow can we all wave our c0cks in the air and see who's is bigger....this site always gives me a good laugh......
heat affects the exhaust gas's ability to spool the lil fan thingy....is that simple enough for everyone....
Old 03-15-2006, 11:20 PM
FANTOM27REVO
My Feedback: (1)

I think the fuel cooler would be kinda cool. is makes a hell of a difference on 1:1 4 cycle engines. I dont know if you guys are aware of it or not but they make nitrous oxide kits for 2 cycle glow engines.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:57 PM
japan4racing

i have heard about those..i would be interested to see how well it works. this turbo idea will never happen.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:16 AM
beelzebubishere

Nox........yeah.......I just like "all motor" H.P.
ORIGINAL: FANTOM27REVO

I think the fuel cooler would be kinda cool. is makes a hell of a difference on 1:1 4 cycle engines. I dont know if you guys are aware of it or not but they make nitrous oxide kits for 2 cycle glow engines.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:08 PM
jasonx9

u guys wanna know something im only 12 years of age and that sibtan guy or whatever his name is man that guy is a straight *******
Old 03-17-2006, 08:46 PM
jasonx9

by way no a turbo is spooled by heat its the exaught fumes that spool a turbo
Old 03-18-2006, 01:22 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jasonx9

how exactly do the exhast fumes spool a turbo....is it the movement of the exhast gas, kind of like a fan wheel spinning in the wind...or do the hydrocarbons of the exhaust has some magical energy.......or is it the heat in the exhast gasses that spool the turbo...........my bet is its the heat, take the heat out of the exhast and the turbo wouldn't spool........there is alsmost no energy in the movement of the exhast gasses,,,but the gas has a temeperature of 1900F there's plenty of energy there......a turbo is spooled 100% by the heat energy in the exhast gas........no heat, no turbo boost simple as that.which is why nitro is a terrible fuel for turbo's
Old 03-18-2006, 07:17 AM
beelzebubishere

Dude.....let it go...now you're arguing with a 12 year old...your credibity is sinking fast.

ORIGINAL: supertib

ORIGINAL: jasonx9

how exactly do the exhast fumes spool a turbo....is it the movement of the exhast gas, kind of like a fan wheel spinning in the wind...or do the hydrocarbons of the exhaust has some magical energy.......or is it the heat in the exhast gasses that spool the turbo...........my bet is its the heat, take the heat out of the exhast and the turbo wouldn't spool........there is alsmost no energy in the movement of the exhast gasses,,,but the gas has a temeperature of 1900F there's plenty of energy there......a turbo is spooled 100% by the heat energy in the exhast gas........no heat, no turbo boost simple as that.which is why nitro is a terrible fuel for turbo's
Old 03-18-2006, 08:29 AM
jasonx9

my dad is a machinic and has been fomr at least 20years now and he said that the turbo is spooled by the pressure of the exaughst fumes
Old 03-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Diesel_Fuel_Only

Yeah thats how it works... as the exhaust leaves the cylinder(s) it runs though one side of the turbo, which looks like a fan with the blades turned sideways (almost) so when looking at it from straight ahead it looks like it has spokes. Then, that part turns anohter fan almost exactly like it, which pulls in air from the air filter, and then since it is pulling in the air, the air becomes compressed and is blasted into the intakes. Here's a cut-away of one. The faster the engine turns, the more exahaust is produced, the faster the exhaust has to move, the faster the turbo spins, the more air is forced into the engine, the more power is produced *repeats*. That's why on really low rpm engines such as diesels you can't really hear the turbo at idle, but when they start getting some gas you hear the whirhirhirhirhirhir as it spools up.

Old 03-18-2006, 04:14 PM
supertib

no **** LOL
Old 03-18-2006, 04:18 PM
t-maxx11689

ya thats sick
Old 03-19-2006, 07:21 AM
jasonx9

supertib get over the fact that u are wrong ok
Old 03-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Kemo

either way, it'd still look good bolted under my ranger's hood

Anyone seen a 2 cycle diesel before? they all are turbocharged, but they have a valve! They have to. I have yet to see one, but we went over it at school on thursday (automotive tech college class).
Old 03-19-2006, 11:00 PM
fossbinder

detriot diesels are supercharged and turbocharged these 2 strokers are nothing like nitro engines...detriots need forced air induction to provide cyllinder scavenging,our little nitros have port configuration and tuned pipes and a completely different kind of fuel...they do a great job of scavenging all by themselves..any forced induction would upset the balance...BUY A MORE POWERFUL ENGINE
Old 03-20-2006, 12:07 PM
dougman51

i don't think I've ever heard of a real two stroke diesel can anyone show me some pictures of one?
Old 03-20-2006, 01:02 PM
beelzebubishere

Try this......
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/
Then do a search for Detroit Diesel and EMD (Electra motive diesel)
They are a lot more common than you think....
ORIGINAL: dougman51

i don't think I've ever heard of a real two stroke diesel can anyone show me some pictures of one?
Old 03-20-2006, 01:10 PM
bbrown210

Holy crap 7k hp from every cylnder thats alot but also its fuel economy sucks big time. I was thinking when they said 6-14 cylnders you could pick one up and throw it in a semi and go but wow the cylenders are as big as a person aint no way you can do that. Made for frieght liners. I wonder how much the cost didnt see that in there.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:13 PM
japan4racing

im going out side right now to take the turbo off my car and stick it in the oven. then im gonna block off the exhuast port on it and bolt it on before it cools down. that thing is gonna spool so fast!!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:07 PM
KyleR

ORIGINAL: kliff

Try this......
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/
Then do a search for Detroit Diesel and EMD (Electra motive diesel)
They are a lot more common than you think....
Yup, and once you've heard a 2-stroke diesel up close or passing you by (or passing one), you'll never mistake it for anything else again. Ever see the movie Convoy? I believe his truck was a 2-stroke (pretty common engine in those days). The way you could hear it coming before you could see it... Pretty acurate. Definitely louder than the newer 4-strokes.

Here's a little something on diesel two-strokes... [link=http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel-two-stroke.htm]How Diesel Two-Stroke Engines Work[/link]

And oh, if it hasn't been posted already, here's yet another link for turbos and how they work:
[link=http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm]How Turbochargers Work[/link]

-K
Old 03-21-2006, 12:06 AM
japan4racing

there is at least one person here that needs to read that last link you posted..there is some very informative pictures and descriptions on there. seems that it works exactly as other have mentioned.[8D]

it would be very cool to have a turbo on one of these nitro motors, but it seems as though it willn ot happen. tiny parts, high costs ( im sure ), and heat soak would be major factors in stopping this from becoming a reality.

get a big block and you wont need turbo

Old 03-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Diesel_Fuel_Only

ORIGINAL: Kemo

either way, it'd still look good bolted under my ranger's hood

Anyone seen a 2 cycle diesel before? they all are turbocharged, but they have a valve! They have to. I have yet to see one, but we went over it at school on thursday (automotive tech college class).
They're interesting... at least. I know that a lot of high-speed on-road-only trucks use them. The problem is with them is that they lack in the low-end torque range, and especially when you've got a semi loaded up like that you need all the low-end torque you can get to get one of those moving in the first place. I'd say my favorite is still the Cat diesels, they perform exceptionally well in hills and stuff.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Diesel_Fuel_Only

But lets say you've got 2 detroit diesels... and 2 superchagers and 4 turbos... Well here's what that'll do:

[link]http://videos.streetfire.net/search/diesel/1/DB6187F1-958D-4FAA-BC72-1309E3706D76.htm[/link]
Old 03-21-2006, 10:37 AM
supertib

well we have snowmobiles running turbos succesfully, I posted a link, as well I have an article of a piston port 2 stroke Polaris running a turbo.....

the hotter the exhast gas the more energy available to spool the turbo...if the exhaust gas was room temperature the turbo would never spool.......I do understand that its the expansion of the exhaust gas in the pipes that spools the turbo, as it creates pressure, but its the heat that causes the expansion..........the lower the temperature of the exhast gas the less expansion it undegoes, and the less available nrg it has........thoug you can size the exhast size of the turbo to accomodate lower exhast temperatures........the average under hood turbo has 1900 F to work with and for example the STS remote turbo has only 1200F to work with, by changing the exhast side of the turbo you can accomodate alot........but with no heat you get no turbo spool.....as the pressure created by the exhaust expansion is what spools a turbo, and without heat you will get no expansion......so heat is really the true energy that spools the turbo.......As well the hotter the exhaust gas is the more energy is available, the colder the exhaust gas the less energy available.........
Old 03-21-2006, 12:58 PM
japan4racing

give it up man, back to the subject at hand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.