Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Does the OS .18tz fit in a maxx? If not how do you make it?

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Does the OS .18tz fit in a maxx? If not how do you make it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:09 PM
birel19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the OS .18tz fit in a maxx? If not how do you make it?

I was wondering how you fit the .18tz in a maxx? I have heard its faster than the tm with "mods to make it fit". What are those mods and how could I make it fit my maxx. My drivetrain is all 3.3 stuff and is ready for a new engine. I have a tight budget and want keep my old 2.5 motor, but if I cant make it within the budget I will get the 3.3 with the traxxas erp. Please help me fit a tz in my maxx!!!! Oh-cant use a tm because I am running a ths pipe and would have to get another header and be over budget...please dont argue[&o][] My budget is 150 give or take.

One last thing-what starting systems are available for this motor and would you reccomend this motor? Please feel free to reccomend other motors

Here is a lnk to the motor- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHLV6&P=7
Old 02-10-2007, 04:46 PM
ajbroullett123

Default RE: Does the OS .18tz fit in a maxx? If not how do you make it?

Duct Tape and jb weld
Old 02-10-2007, 04:48 PM
ajbroullett123

If you want a great stong engine with lots of torque i would suggest an axial .28 or .32 the .28 is about 125$ at towerhobbies.com the .32 is about 175$ at towerhobbies also. I have the .28 i am satisfied more than i have ever been with any engine. Great strong runner that holds a good tune.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:01 PM
birel19

Is the axial drop in?
Old 02-10-2007, 05:13 PM
birel19

Can you mod a 3.3 to keep up with A TM OR TZ-If yes is it easy and are there directions floating around?

Can I change the crank and backplate like the person in the second post did?http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_50...tm.htm#5061213
Old 02-10-2007, 11:00 PM
squeaky penguin

You shouldent get the OS .18tz it's made for on-road cars. (less tourqe, more RPM) and this doesn't work well for a monster truck.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Harvick

WHy is the TM too expensive? Tower has it for $149.00, and they always have discounts and/or free shipping!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:39 PM
BAMF90
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: squeaky penguin

You shouldent get the OS .18tz it's made for on-road cars. (less tourqe, more RPM) and this doesn't work well for a monster truck.
That's 100% WRONG! It has more torque then a TM and A LOT more RPM then a TM. It beats it in both categories. The TZ has 5 ports while the TM has 3. I just got a OS .18TZ for my Revo today. This is what I am doing. Since I want to use a Roto-Start I am getting a TM crankshaft, TM Backplate, TM Starting Shaft, and TM Throttle Lever, and this will make it a true drop in for a Revo. For a T-Maxx too!

Squeaky penguin, what you said is completely BS. Not trying to be mean or anything, but it's not the truth. More people that race Revos run TZ's then TM's. You know why? Because like I said, it has more torque and RPM then a TM.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:00 AM
BrendanS

ORIGINAL: BAMF90

ORIGINAL: squeaky penguin

That's 100% WRONG! It has more torque then a TM and A LOT more RPM then a TM. It beats it in both categories. The TZ has 5 ports while the TM has 3. I just got a OS .18TZ for my Revo today. This is what I am doing. Since I want to use a Roto-Start I am getting a TM crankshaft, TM Backplate, TM Starting Shaft, and TM Throttle Lever, and this will make it a true drop in for a Revo. For a T-Maxx too!

Squeaky penguin, what you said is completely BS. Not trying to be mean or anything, but it's not the truth. More people that race Revos run TZ's then TM's. You know why? Because like I said, it has more torque and RPM then a TM.
completely agree with you mv buddy
Old 02-11-2007, 01:46 AM
bennyblanco

dude just get the tz that comes with the pullstart and then just put the eazystart on it.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHLV9&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJF69&P=M
Old 02-11-2007, 01:13 PM
dabro15

ORIGINAL: ajbroullett123

If you want a great stong engine with lots of torque i would suggest an axial .28 or .32 the .28 is about 125$ at towerhobbies.com the .32 is about 175$ at towerhobbies also. I have the .28 i am satisfied more than i have ever been with any engine. Great strong runner that holds a good tune.
The axial engines are big blocks. They wont fit in a tmaxx without a conversion kit.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
johnny5c

I'm running a .18TZ with a TM crank/shaft/plate in a Jato and the TZ has a lot more power than the TM it replaced.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:45 PM
125cchyperman

The number of ports an engine has doesnt mean it's more powerful then an enigne that has less ports. It's all about port timming and how the ports are shaped. The TZ does have more top end and have more rpm's. I dont think the TZ has much more on the bottom end infact I believe the TM has a little more Bottom end then the TZ. But still the tz is not underpowered by any means for a MT.