Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

pro 15 to 3.3 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Spunkymanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pro 15 to 3.3 upgrade

I have an older pro 15 tmaxx, and I'm upgrading it to a 3.3 engine. it has a lot of modifications, and I won't list most of them now.. Important to the upgrade is that I have the forward only conversion, so the transmission should be a little stronger..
I have the 3.3 engine already - IPS shaft with recoil pull starter (model 5407).
I ordered the 15 - 25 upgrade kit (model 4900). I also have the tuned pipe for the 25, which a local shop told me would work better than the one in the upgrade kit.

Any other parts I should add/upgrade? Gearing tips? I just have the stock 72 tooth spur, and whatever the stock clutch bell has.. I figure I need to drastically change the gearing with the new engine.. but I'm not sure what would be good to go with..

Any tips?
Old 04-09-2006, 03:25 PM
tmaxxfreak
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: pro 15 to 3.3 upgrade

Drive train.. cvd's will probaly be need. Since the 3.3 are twisting them off on a stock 3.3 tmaxx (centers). Inless you already have cvd's..
Old 04-09-2006, 03:50 PM
DaveG55

Man, that's a heck of an upgrade
I think that you can expect to have to replace the same parts that a big block upgrade would require.
Or, you could do like I do. Slap the new engine in and just fix what breaks as it breaks. Just don't be surprised if the repairs start to get expensive.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:14 PM
cardgabe

Sounds like my upgrade. I went from a pro.15 engine to an OS.18TM. I had a few upgrades like you did also... so I put on the 2.5 conversion kit (which installed fairly easy) and dropped the engine in. I've probably run 15-20 tanks through my OS now and I haven't broken any driveshafts... although I have gone through a front differential though. (i attribute that to too big of jumps with too tight of a slipper clutch though). Who knows though, maybe i'll have to upgrade drive train also.

Oops, forgot something. If you haven't already, you might consider doing the widemaxx conversion so it has the wider stance like the newer tmaxxes. I haven't done this yet... but I will be soon since I don't turn so well at higher speeds. haha
Old 04-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Stuck686
My Feedback: (2)

dude just get an OS .18CV-RX S (shortcrank). its a direct drop. and maybe a little less power then the 3.3 but u cant beat OS quality
Old 04-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Spunkymanker

Well, I already have the 3.3.. so it's definitely what I'm going with.. :P
CVD's definitely sound like a good idea.. who makes good ones?
Old 04-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Stuck686
My Feedback: (2)

MIP and RDLOGICS. check ebay for a good deal. 1 set of Mip cvds is like $55. i got all 3 sets for $50 shipped from the marketplace on this website. Muahahah