Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Got my used T-Maxx ... think it's going to be trouble

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Got my used T-Maxx ... think it's going to be trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 07:38 PM
toop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my used T-Maxx ... think it's going to be trouble

Well I traded my paintball gun (previous hobby) for a used T-maxx.

When I try turning while the engine is not running ... seems like the wheels don't move at all. At most, maybe 1/4 of an inch both directions.

I'm guessing this is not normal? I havent been able to start it yet, gotta get fuel this week. The screw that is connected to the steering servo seems to be loose, and it will not tighten any more. I would guess that this is the problem, but how would I fix it?

Sorry, I'm completely new to this and trying to make it my new hobby.

Also, a lot of the screws are stripped pretty bad, can I just get replacemtns at a local hardware store or do I have to get a screw set for T-maxx?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:47 PM
aznherb36

Default RE: Got my used T-Maxx ... think it's going to be trouble

Its good to get a nice screw kit and hex drives. I recommend Tony's Screws. I got 4 hex drivers for $32 shipped and they work flawless. you get what you pay for.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:49 PM
toop

Where can I buy a set?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:57 PM
aznherb36

https://www.tonysscrews.com/splashPage.hg

I got this hex set
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2981

works great
Old 04-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Gullwing72

Good call on the screws. On the steering servo, if the truck is not moving forward or backward with the stock servo they will not move very far back and forth. Also you can buy a new servo mounts if the holes are stripped too bad. They are cheap. If the truck runs good then I think you will be alright. It just sounds like the person didn't keep up with the normal breaks and maintenance on the truck real well. ..............GW
Old 04-09-2006, 08:26 PM
stevensj

You also know that you have to put batteries in it for the servo's right??? But yes, stock servo's=no good
Old 04-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Stuck686
My Feedback: (2)

u should get a hump pack for the reciver right away instead of getting new batteries all the time. standing still the tires wont turn too much even on good batteries because the servo is not strong enough.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:05 PM
Gullwing72

With that hump pack get a fail-safe. You don't to be chasing a 40 mph + truck heading for a group of people or a tree..ect........GW
Old 04-09-2006, 09:12 PM
aznherb36

I got the Hitech 645MG servo and it does the job GOOOD, esp with the UE gen. 4 servo saver kit.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:39 PM
toop

Hmm, can someone get me a link to what I need?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Stuck686

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ89&P=ML

you could do without the expensive servo saver kit but here it is http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/...ore/13601.html
Old 04-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Stuck686

failsafe- http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUH6&P=7

hump packs - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ck&FVPROFIL=++
Old 04-12-2006, 02:24 AM
Zedicus

ORIGINAL: toop

Well I traded my paintball gun (previous hobby) for a used T-maxx.

When I try turning while the engine is not running ... seems like the wheels don't move at all. At most, maybe 1/4 of an inch both directions.

I'm guessing this is not normal? I havent been able to start it yet, gotta get fuel this week. The screw that is connected to the steering servo seems to be loose, and it will not tighten any more. I would guess that this is the problem, but how would I fix it?
Totaly Normal, the stock servo's are a little underpowered for the size of the wheels.

Also, a lot of the screws are stripped pretty bad, can I just get replacemtns at a local hardware store or do I have to get a screw set for T-maxx?
Need to go to a hobby shop for those.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:21 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Welcome to the jungle......one of the first things to get, if it didn't come with the truck, is an owners manual....they are one of the BEST things about Traxxas.....jam packed with info. E-bay, LHS, it doesn't matter, they are cheap and worth every penny!
Old 04-12-2006, 01:15 PM
McFly505

I had the exact same issues when I bought my USED T Maxx. Here is what I did to solve them.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJTW3&P=]FAIL SAFE[/link] (This helped me BIGTIME while learning how to tune the engine.)
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHUJ3&P=ML]RECIEVER PACK[/link]
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6050003476&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores]SERVO SAVER[/link] (Pro-Line has discontinued this item. eBay is the only source I could find for it. Lots cheaper than the UE version.)
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHZR9&P=ML]STEERING SERVO[/link] (way overkill. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUZ89&P=ML]THIS[/link] would work just fine and costs a lot less)
[link=http://www.hexcrews.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=541]SCREWS[/link] (You get what you pay for. Good stuff)

I bought some stainless hex head screws at the local ACE hardware store. They work, but WILL break, strip, stretch, etc.
I also ditched the stock Tmaxx chevron tires and wheels in favor of a set of REVO wheels and tires. This alone made a HUGE difference.

INSTALL NEW FUEL LINE AND A FUEL FILTER. I chased my tail for 2 weeks trying to tune the engine, when this solved the problem in about 10 minutes.

Read [link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/maxx/tmaxx/blueprints/manuals_instr/060113_tmaxx06_own_man.pdf]THIS[/link]. Lots of good info here.

There is my $.02. Hope it helps.

Scott
Old 04-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Brokethebank

I just wanted to ad something to the last replys list and that is 4 bearing (traxxas part# 5114 you will need 2 pack) for the steering bell crank the stock bushing cause more drag then you my think not only did it add about 25min to my rx pack but my steering response was greatly unproved
Old 04-12-2006, 02:13 PM
flynvy5

Hey guys i got a used tmaxx in a trade for my rc aircraft stuff its got an os .18cvr great motor but it snapped a short shaft want to put in cvd's but i'm worried its the old style tmaxx and every thing i've found says it won't work in the .15 tmaxx. Can you guys tell me how to tell which maxx i have with out blowing a lot of money?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:39 AM
McFly505

ORIGINAL: Brokethebank

I just wanted to ad something to the last replys list and that is 4 bearing (traxxas part# 5114 you will need 2 pack) for the steering bell crank the stock bushing cause more drag then you my think not only did it add about 25min to my rx pack but my steering response was greatly unproved
The Pro-Line steering kit comes with bearings. It is one of the BEST upgrades I made on my truck. I don't understand why Pro-Line stopped making them. If you stay with the factory setup, definitely put bearings in place of the bushings.

Scott
Old 04-13-2006, 10:51 AM
McFly505

ORIGINAL: flynvy5

Hey guys i got a used tmaxx in a trade for my rc aircraft stuff its got an os .18cvr great motor but it snapped a short shaft want to put in cvd's but i'm worried its the old style tmaxx and every thing i've found says it won't work in the .15 tmaxx. Can you guys tell me how to tell which maxx i have with out blowing a lot of money?
Simple solution?

Replace the broken parts with FACTORY parts and then loosen up the slipper. All the power in the world does ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD if you can't use it. When you go putting in bigger, stronger motors, it just opens the door to more broken parts and more $$$ spent in the quest to make it bulletproof. It starts with steel spurs and CVD's. Then you tear out the diffs, or worse yet, the tranny. The power will ALWAYS find the weak link.[:'(]

It's your $$$, spend it how you like. I prefer to keep as much of mine as I can, IN MY POCKET.

As far as the difference between the old .15 Maxx and the 2.5 Maxx, I'm kinda at a loss. I've never laid eyes on a .15 Maxx. I'm told that Traxxas makes a kit to swap out the PRO .15 to the TRX 2.5. Sorry I can't help you much on that one.

Scott
Old 04-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Timmahh
Banned

a arms got longer with the newer maxx', as well as redesigns in the assembly and placement of items. its these subtle differances that cause issues between the older 15s and the newer 2.5s and 3.3s
Tim
Old 04-13-2006, 01:20 PM
flynvy5

can i put the 2.5 arms on the .15?
Old 04-13-2006, 04:58 PM
toop

Ok, so got some fuel today and can't manage to get it started!

Glow plug lights up.

Checked to see if it was flooded, and it wasn't. (Guy told me to remove the plug, and tip upside down while pulling)

Guy also said to prime it...just blow into line to the exhaust pipe till fuel reaches engine.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 04-13-2006, 05:27 PM
toop

Ok...got it started lol... but now...

I have to hold the throttle down while pulling ....

It doesn't take off right away when I hit the throttle...kinda has to work up it's power.

Doesn't turn worth a crap.

Can't let go of throttle or else it dies.

Any ideas?
Old 04-13-2006, 05:28 PM
itspuddingtime00

I wouldn't mess with blowing through the exhaust line. Nitro is poisonous and I personally wouldn't want my lips to touch it. Put your finger over the pipe so it covers the opening and makes an air tight seal, then pull the starter cord a few times until fuel gets into the carb. If you have not yet, try setting the needles back to stock (Don't know the settings off the top of my head), and maybe squirt some fuel directly into the carb.

EDIT, I see you have it started. Try leaning the low speed needle. Yout want to tune the high speed needle first though. You should see a nice blue smoke trail when you accellerate, but the engine should not bog down once it hits the higher RPMs. Once you have the HSN dialed in, you need to set the LSN. Make a full throttle pass, then right afterwards pinch the fuel line about 2 inches from the carb. Hold the line until the engine dies. You want the engine to die after about 3-5 seconds. If it is still running after 5 seconds or so, then it is too rich, if it cuts out right away, then it is too lean.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:31 PM
gunnut

Hey guys, I was about to create a new post with some questions about my t-maxx. But you guys answered my questions! Thanks a bunch! (I'm getting a failsafe, rx pack, and steering servo for my maxx) anyone know what size bearings go in the bellcrank steering? And what do I need to have to hook up a receiver pack to my intellipeak charger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.