Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-Maxx 3.3 vs. Revo vs Savage X - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:14 PM
sportsnarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx 3.3 vs. Revo vs Savage X - advice?

I know these threads aren't particularly popular here, and ultimately the answer is subjective rather than objective, but I maybe someone can help me think of something I'm forgetting. The short of it is this:

New to hobby, would love to stay south of $500, no race ambitions.

I've been doing some research on which truck to buy and would love any advice. Xtreme RC Cars has in depth reviews on the Savage X and TMaxx 3.3 this month, so that's helped a little. I've been to several hobby stores - 1 said Savage X - best basher, holds up well. One said Revo - fast, durable, includes some extras in the box (DVD, receiver battery and a charger that will work for the 7.2 starter battery as well), technologically advanced. Today's guy said TMaxx 3.3 - biggest aftermarket, fastest, engine not as finicky as Revo, lots of Revo-esque advancements.

The down sides I've heard - Revo requires more work to keep tuned, supposedly more fragile than Savage; Savage is tough to work on (Although I think the X addressed some of those issues); TMaxx 3.3 not as advanced as Revo, no receiver battery or charger.

My LHS (HobbyTown) supports both equally, or maybe 60-40 Traxxas, so that's not a huge issue. Racing isn't an issue. Just playing in the backyard/street.

I think Traxxas has a stress warranty parts or engine, which would be nice. Not sure if HPI has this. I like the DVD and instruction manual to help a newb tune. Revo 3.3 is a little more than I was looking to spend, or I'd get it.

Any thoughts? I know it comes down to which one I like better, but it's so close. Would love any advice. I'd like it to be a solid platform to learn on - easy to tune, etc. Almost pulled the trigger on a buggy (cheaper), but I think a truck is the way to go. Looked at electrics, but I think I'd miss the out of the box speed, noise, and tinkering.

Again, anything is helpful. I know I'm not going to get many positive comments on the Savage X here, but that's fine. I'm leaning towards the Traxxas products just based on speed alone.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:25 PM
whitesox350z

Default RE: T-Maxx 3.3 vs. Revo vs Savage X - advice?

well you said that you don't intend to race, so from that i'd eliminate the revo, it doesn't keep a tune very well and it's not as durable as the maxx and savage when you're takin it off huge ramps

as far as durability, the savage x will own any truck out there

as far as parts support, t maxx would have the most, but the savage x also has lots or parts support, BARELY behind the maxx

i'd go with the revo if you'r ebashing
if you plan to race and bash, maxx
if you plan to mainly race, revo
Old 04-20-2006, 11:40 PM
sportsnarc

thanks for the honest answer. i'm leaning towards the tmaxx 3.3 because i seem to be hung up on speed. savage x = 0-30 in 3 seconds, top speed of 32. 3.3 = 0-37 in 3 seconds, top speed of 44 (5 seconds).

maybe i need to find somewhere people are driving these trucks so i can see just how fast they really are. maybe 32 is faster than i think and only sounds slow because i can get a third faster for the same price. is that a noobish way to look at things - speed first?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:45 AM
infernalstone

Don't forget.

The faster you're going, the faster you hit that mailbox.

I haven't looked, but you might want to cross post this into the HPI subforum as well. Each place will be biased towards Traxxas/HPI.

Actually, I saw a kid with a Savage X at the track in the last race. When he could keep it straight, except for the long back straight, it was just as fast as anything else out there. Only on the long straight did the lack of top end show. And it has plenty of power. It's nothing to buy a new spur gear or clutch bell to drop some acceleration to get more top end.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:53 AM
jasplat88

I don't know how much help I'll be, but a couple of things....I own a Savage X, BUT just purchased a Revo 3.3. I think there is a perception that the Savages are slow (Traxxas guys usually) and that the Revo is fragile (Savage guys usually)...but that's just human nature at work. Since my experience with nitro's revolves around older Kyosho buggies, and more recently the Savage, I will comment mostly about it.

Service:
I doubt you will be able to compete with HPI from a Customer Service standpoint. They have been nothing short of unbelievable. They have sent me a new spur (even though I did not fry mine like many noobs do), new roto start (yes my roto start went out after about a month). You can always reach a real person every time you call them, and if there is an issue, they will do everything they can to correct it including sending you new FREE parts. We all hope we don't need to use the warranty for things, but if you do....well HPI is IMO hands-down the best I have come across.

Durability:
Again, discussing the Savage side since I have first hand experience with it, I can say it will take a beating. I have jumped and bumped things (not quite at Wide Open Throttle--WOT) and I have yet to break anything (that video as it indicates is only of "baby" jumps, but I have taken it off some much larger jumps at our park). With this hobby, it's just a matter of time---you will break something, but the durability of the Savage has been well documented and I can testify to it. To be fair I'm sure you have read that the Revo A-Arms break easily, but I belive some RPM replacements (which BTW carry a lifetime warranty should solve that---~$50/full set).

Performance:
As I said I have the X which has the newer F4.1 with is ported differently than the older .25, and I am pretty impressed with the power this engine produces. I am running a 18/49 CB/spur setup in my X which is on the tall side (on it stock came a 15/49 setup), and I can still pull wheelies pretty much at will. This video might give you a idea of it (although this won't provide you a good idea of top speed). I agree with you on top speed of the Savage to be about 32-35mph. The Revo should smoke it, but I will also tell you, 32-35 is a lot faster than you think... but I can see you quickly looking for more speed (I'm there now). I will probably be dropping a new engine into my Savage before too long, but the Revo should help fulfill my speed needs too

Other:
I guess at the end of the day it boils down to a couple of things. Where are you going to be driving the truck? I would think the street would favor the Revo especially if you have some long straights so you can see the speed. On the grass, and around the yard, I would doubt one is going to stand out more than the other. One the track---I'll just ignore since you said you would not be racing. When I was in your position, I actually choose the Revo...and then 1 (yes ONE) day later the Revo 3.3 was announced...so I returned it (to wait for the 3.3) and bought the Savage X. I'm completely satisfied with my purchase, but my personality keeps me always wanting more. Now I purchased the Revo 3.3. I will have a back-up MT, and IMO the best of both worlds. Good luck with your decision.

-Jason

Edit: Fixed video links
Old 04-21-2006, 09:59 AM
hugh.jeego

revo.

btw the revo is tougher than the t-maxx from my experience, especially when jumping. Anyway, i say revo, then savage x, then t-maxx

im sure youll be happy enught with any of them. there all pretty good.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Trick440

I have a Revo my buddy had a t-maxx for sometime. I drove both.

Hands down stock for stock the Revo is a much better machine. Performance wise, durability wise and easy to use.
I have launched my Revo off big ramps. Second gear, WOT, landing on cement. Its hard to believe the beatings it can take. I have also smacked many trees and the stock a-arms have lived to tell about it.

Traxxas support is also top notch.

I have rode with a Savage and it looked like it handled everything great. But the Revo jumped higher, farther and seemed to do it much easier... this could really be seen on landings of big jumps, the Savaged seemed more 'tank like'.

I know I'm bias cause I think theres no comparision. The Revo is the best Rc monster truck made. Suspension, convience, easy to work on, adjustability of performance make this truck way better than anything else.

If your new to RC you not gonna believe all the things you can adjust on the revo to get different performance caracteristics.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:47 PM
dirtdemon8989

i have owned a t-maxx i hated it i have driven revos and seen savages i am thinking about a jato revo or savage right now to i like the revo but never drove the savage so i dont relaly now for know but if i were you i wouldnt go with t-maxx if your lookin for speed and the revo is not fragile we did stuff with my buddys revo that was unbeleivable like jumping from parking lot to parking lot it was sick and then we drove his off my dirtbike ramp which is 7 1/2 FEET TALL AND ONLY BROKE TWO A ARMS
Old 04-21-2006, 06:10 PM
jasonx9

dude get the revo because i ave the 2.5r version and this thing is so durable it crazy i was in second gear and was going like 40mph and i hit this big @$$ jump it wreckede and tumbled out of control did like 10summer salts and i thought i broke something i went over it was still running and look the f***in thing was just perfect except the body it was messed up a lilttle bit but other thanb that my 2.5r revo has held up to every singal beating i have givin to it man i even fliped that truck upside down into my creek in front of my house and i thought i need new servos and a reciever i let it dry out and everything work fine after they were dry well what im saying is that the 2.5r is a very good truck
Old 04-21-2006, 07:17 PM
infernalstone

However, on the flip side, I've broken an A-arm on my revo, at the track. Didn't wreck, just had a bad landing. Snapped the arm. However, the RPM front end parts have taken much worse landings with no ill effects.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:20 PM
dirtdemon8989

ok i should take back what i said the t-maxxs dont suck the are really good but comaring it to savavge adn revo o mean its really not comparable wel it is but its not if you are looking for speed i would look into the jato dude fast little s.o.b.s lol i like my neibors he hit my little bmx ramp and flew adn it handles good we can hit the curb cruising in first gear and it jsut scuffs up the skids but the revo is funn to
Old 04-21-2006, 07:36 PM
McFly505

If you are new to the hobby, I would recommend the Traxxas stuff. Excellent parts selection at most LHS. Traxxas also has excellent tech support.

It's a great time to get into this hobby. The T Maxx 3.3 and the Revo 3.3 are both excellent trucks IMO. I wouldn't recommend the Savage as a beginner truck, not because it's a bad truck, but because it's a little harder to work on. I think HPI changed alot of that on the Savage X and I am soon to find out.(ordering an X next week!)

I cut my teeth on a T Maxx 2.5. I highly recommend it as a starter truck.(it's even better now with the 3.3!)

Scott
Old 03-20-2007, 11:02 AM
E-maxxer

I think the savage and the revo are both awsome trucks for competiton but IMO i think the only reason the revo does better on jumps and landings is because of the suspension set up which is a very nice setup btw. I would like to see someone make a savage with a revo suspension.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:09 PM
rideicon

hmmm well the revo and t-maxx have the same engines so tuning them is about the same... for reliability go savage then revo then t-maxx, but to be honest i'd get the revo over the savage, or maybe an e-maxx cheaper and do a brushless motor if your dead set on a maxx
i vote revo, thing rocks out of the box, my revo with the traxxas red link suspension links is almost bulletproof where as my t-maxx with every mod possible broke every time i took it out, can't make that thing bulletproof, even had upgraded chassis, didn't help with my extreme bashing style i guess

edit, i did upgrade my a-arms on my revo to rpm, but i upgraded everything on my maxx to rpm, bulkhead braces and everything, crappy monster truck, the revo rocks, and it is way faster than a savage. you will not be disappointed in the revo
Old 03-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Nitr0-is-Deadly

id say the revo becuase even tho you dont race it can take a beating its faster then the stock* savage and in my opinion i find revo's simple to fix the revo has many hop ups but so does the savage and t-maxx. either way since your new to the hobby im sure you will love either one of the three i think they are all grat bashers but if you get into raqcing you will be happy with the revo/revo 3.3
Old 03-20-2007, 02:28 PM
rideicon

well im going to go ahead and tell you DO NOT BUY A [sm=punching.gif]T-MAXX[sm=punching.gif], i don't care if you buy a savage, but if your looking at the revo and t-maxx and you get the t-maxx, especially after all this warning, you deserve all the hardships and necessary [sm=greedy.gif]upgrades[sm=greedy.gif] that will follow
seriously though i hate the t-maxx and adore the revo, there is no question
[sm=devious.gif][sm=devious.gif][sm=devious.gif][sm=devious.gif][sm=devious.gif][sm=devious.gif][sm=devious.gif][sm=devious.gif][sm=devious.gif][sm=devious.gif]
Old 03-20-2007, 04:21 PM
DaveG55

I've got all three plus an LST. Granted they're all the older models, not the latest versions, but there have not been that many changes. The first thing you need to understand is that there is really NOT a lot of differences in durability between any of them. Some people have great luck with a particular truck while someone else will have terrible luck with the same one. All you have to do is scan the fourms with an unprejudiced eye to see that's true. It's also human natue to tout the truck that you own.
So, all I can tell you is that if I had to buy one of those three today it would be the Revo.
One thing I know for sure is that whichever you decide on, you will have a blast.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 AM
flow41

take a look at this revo vs savage both trucks stock!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv3YlWbh0Eo
Old 05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
ajb1205

I have a Revo 3.3 and love it. When I first started looking it was between the Revo and the Savage X. The "new" Savage X comes with the 4.6 now so....if that had been out a couple of months ago I think my choice would have been much harder to make. All I've had to replace on my Revo is the front and back bumper...it's been a blast. Might just have to add a Savage X 4.6 to the collection...I wonder if my wife will agree???!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 02:45 PM
rchotrodz

I have seen a guy at the track with a 2.5 t-maxx beat a 3.3 revo I think it all depends on how you tune the motor and how you drive... (speed is nothing if you don't know how to drive)
Old 05-17-2007, 03:41 PM
rawiswar

ORIGINAL: sportsnarc

thanks for the honest answer. i'm leaning towards the tmaxx 3.3 because i seem to be hung up on speed. savage x = 0-30 in 3 seconds, top speed of 32. 3.3 = 0-37 in 3 seconds, top speed of 44 (5 seconds).

maybe i need to find somewhere people are driving these trucks so i can see just how fast they really are. maybe 32 is faster than i think and only sounds slow because i can get a third faster for the same price. is that a noobish way to look at things - speed first?

trust me when i say you will think the top speed is cool for about a day (and the t maxx 3.3 wont do 45mph with stock set up) you need different gearing etc.

i and most people i know have fun after the speed demon has passed by jumping etc, the acceleration seems to be more important (if you want top end get a jato 3.3 around 65mph)

i hear there is a savage x 4.6 coming out (the other savage x is a 4.1) which brings overall speed up etc....
Old 05-17-2007, 04:13 PM
rawiswar

ORIGINAL: flow41

take a look at this revo vs savage both trucks stock!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv3YlWbh0Eo

1. the savage is running way rich

2.the thread starter wants to bash not race.

i am not saying the revo is bad but i have had a revo and 2 t maxx (2.5 and 3.3) and i like the t maxx better.

and if i can pusuede my girlfriend to let me spend the holiday money on a savge x 4.6 then i would have owned all 3 lol

and there is a load of videos on youtube etc where the savage beats the revo and loads of videos where the revo beats the savage.

i do admit that the hpi radio gear is poo lol

here is a link of my revo backflipping before i sold it

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyqTG67HP98]revo backflip[/link]

and revo one of first jumps i did

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnwX7V6YaDs]one of first jumps revo[/link]
Old 05-17-2007, 06:44 PM
redone2

put an end to this topic go to this web site!( slap ma fro )
when it comes to punishment they got the videos to prove
what truck can take the bashing! and i dont think its the savage! at all lmao
it kinda reminds me of a ford! need i say any more! heres a link enjoy
http://www.slapmafro.com/ cant go wrong there and even if you dont
just go and watch a few of there bashing vids every time i do i cant stop laughing my rear off!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:33 PM
LSTVega28

Either one you get, you will not be dissapointed. they both have loads of aftermarket support and most hobby shops carry parts. IMHO, I would go with the Savage even though I own a revo.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:46 PM
redone2

is it me or does anyone else find that the savage is real heavy!
i like revos but my close friend has the savage and we go and tear it up he
always ends up having to tune it or replace one thing or another !
when i was new to rcing i wish they had the trucks they do now! all rtrs and right out of the box
at the speeds they go! if you really need to see who is the best for your buck! check out rc action mag!
be it the savage or the revo$ 430 for savage and $500 for revo,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.