Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

How to clean Monster Truck??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:48 AM
caragland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean Monster Truck??

I am new to r/c's and have a dirty/dusty Revo 3.3 from normal gravel driveway and back yard running. I would like to clean truck, but am afraid of electrical damage or rusting out parts. What are the proper ways of cleaning these trucks?? All advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

caragland
Old 07-15-2006, 11:56 AM
rawkfist2

Default RE: How to clean Monster Truck??

Hi. First off do u have a air compressor that can blow air out the gun. ( Air Gun )
Old 07-15-2006, 11:59 AM
everydayflyer

I use compressed air ,bushes and Simple Green diluted 1:10. First I brush off big stuff and blow the dust off with compressed air . Next i spray with diluted Simple Green and let set for 5 min. then I blow it off again. I repeat this several times until it is mostly clean.
I try to not get Simple Green in the radio boxs, CB, or on the slipper clutch. I do not direct the compressed air directly at these areas or at the differencials exits.
Some follow this with a misting of WD -40 but I stoped doing this as I think it makes it harder to clean next time.
Guess I should mention that some say Simple Green will attack aluminum.I have had it dechrome part of my wheels but then the compressed air may have done this a;so.
Some only use Denatured Alcohol to coean but I hate the smell and it cost approx.$12 per gallon. I run and clean my truck most everyday
Old 07-15-2006, 12:01 PM
byebye

Toothe brushes, WD-40, and compressed air work wonders.....being careful to avoid wd-40 on the brakes and clutch, but a final cleaning of the bake pads with brake cleaner will take care of that. Don't use brake cleaner on the clutch as it can wash the lube out of the CB bearings. Any WD-40 on the clutch will burn off in the first couple of minutes of operation...
Old 07-15-2006, 12:04 PM
rawkfist2

Exactly. If u dont have this air compressor yet, i strongley recomend one. You could get one for $30. Also, everydayflyer said that he doesnt like to use the WD-40. I would recomend it. Its just cause that old mans been in the buissness to long . no jk. But i think its attracts the dust to the WD 40 and keeps it off the paint and boxes. Then the air compressor takes it off good. Also, where the servos are, take off the lid and put cotten down on any holes where air cant get it. Just so dirt dont get in. Try this stuff and it should work. Later
Old 07-15-2006, 12:06 PM
rawkfist2

Highoctane, ever own a go kart? Spray WD-40 on the clutch and myn went up in flames from the spinning so fast. Crazy stuff. But true that burns fast.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:20 PM
caragland

Thanks for all input. I just purchase air compressor the other day for projects aroung the garage. One last question - Do you remove anything off truck while peforming cleaning process??

Thanks- caragland
Old 07-15-2006, 12:36 PM
everydayflyer

Some remove the Engine and radio gear but I do not. Some completely disassemble the truck every few months or so to do a deep clean. Just depends on how dirty it gets and how clean you want it. Mine has a $90 receiver and a $25 Fail Safe in the radio box instead of the chaep TQ3 so I try tp keep the radio box dry.

Some helpful hints here Scroll down to Seal the Servo Box from dirt.

http://www.e-maxximumrc.com/html/revo.html
Old 07-15-2006, 12:44 PM
byebye

ORIGINAL: everydayflyer

Some remove the Engine and radio gear but I do not. Some completely disassemble the truck every few months or so to do a deep clean. Just depends on how dirty it gets and how clean you want it. Mine has a $90 receiver and a $25 Fail Safe in the radio box instead of the chaep TQ3 so I try tp keep the radio box dry.

Some helpful hints here Scroll down to Seal the Servo Box from dirt.

http://www.e-maxximumrc.com/html/revo.html
Ditto that...
Old 07-15-2006, 12:59 PM
everydayflyer

Perhaps the most complete maintains how to with photos here:

http://www.traxxas.com/support/index...452&artlang=en
Old 07-15-2006, 01:04 PM
rawkfist2

I dont remove anything. Just dont spray on electronics.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:06 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Hmmm thats funny I use a paint spray gun and mineral spirits to clean mine. I just spay it every where and blow it off with high air pressure and it seems to take most of the dirt and grime off.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:33 PM
byebye

ORIGINAL: kevinmachdata

Hmmm thats funny I use a paint spray gun and mineral spirits to clean mine. I just spay it every where and blow it off with high air pressure and it seems to take most of the dirt and grime off.
Nuttin' wrong with that! Have used that same method to clean engine exteriors before dissassemblig for years(FUUL scale 1:1 engines), doesnt hurt plasics, rubber, or electronics.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:48 PM
ScRacing

every 6 months i buy all new fule tubing, fule filters, and i take the truck compleatly aprt and put it back to gether and when i do that, i useually buy a couple $100 inparts wile its apart.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:16 PM
hands without shadows

Every so often (not very often) I take out all my electronis and stick my car in the dishwasher, then I take everything apart, clean wat wasnt cleaned, relube everything an fix wat needs to be fixed. Saves alot of effort, just dont wash dishes before you do an empty run on the dishwasher.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:27 PM
ScRacing

Sooooo........ Is you'r truck truly clean enough to eat off of ?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:23 AM
Fiegs

I got a faster way to clean your truck. Take a garden hose and wet a 5-10 foot strip of lawn.Do a few highspeed passes through the grass and your good to go!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 AM
dperkins8694

I use something like this http://huskytools.com/husky/Category.../Product8.html, but mine is from harbor freight, and some DNA. Works well.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:50 AM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wd-40 tothbrush and an air compressor it works wonders inreally fine dust!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:44 PM
hoss76

denatured alcohol, careful spraying and and air compressor
Old 07-20-2006, 09:54 PM
smaagma

if you want to be fool proof and not ruin the electronics but dont want to remove them, use electric motor cleaner. spray enough on the bad spots to loosen the grease and dirt then a light spray everywhere else, then just blow it dry with an air compressor. this will guarantee that you dont ruin the electronics. a small bit of grease in the vital areas is recommended though since the cleaner will make it very dry.