Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Help Optidrive or Venom smart temp???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 10:41 PM
blackdogafd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Optidrive or Venom smart temp???

Hey guys I know this questions has been thrown around before but i need some help. I need to find out which is better, My optidrive in my 3.3 revo took a crap on me the other day and my hobby shop doesnt have any in stock and not sure when they'll get one.. Anyway, what are the likes and dislikes on the optidrive and same for the Venom smart temp! I know that the opti is just basically a fail safe and will not allow the truck to shift into reverse untill its completly stopped, My hobby shop guy says to just take the opti out and put the venom smart temp and i wont have any more problems. This all started cause my opti would send a power spike and fry the throttle servo, thats why the hobby shop said to remove it and get the venom!! can ya'll help me out cause im going to my hobby shop and get one them
Old 08-12-2006, 12:49 AM
bluecaka69

Default RE: Help Optidrive or Venom smart temp???

Venom smart temp
Old 08-12-2006, 12:58 AM
McFly505

I wouldn't even worry about the smart temp, just get the VFS and be done with it. My smart temp read fairly accurate for about a month, then went nuts and I had to disable the temp function.

As Kliff would say, REMOVE the Opti-Drive, get a GOOD fail-safe, buy a GOOD charger. (or something along those lines)

Scott
Old 08-12-2006, 11:58 PM
blackdogafd

all right guys i did end up buying the venom smart temp and after i got it figured out it worked pretty good, just dont like the fact that you have reset all your settings when you turn the truck back on! cause everytime i turned the revo back on i had to reprogram the smart temp. I dont know if the smart temp has some kind of internal memory that is keeps your settings or if you have to keep on reprogramming it everytime you turn the truck on? And another question how hot do the 3.3 actually get in normal operation? cause my hobby shop guy put the VST in and programed it for me at first to show me and set the max temp at 260, now i couldnt even get the truck to hit second gear if it was set like that cause it kept shutting down, the truck normally runs about 280 or so when it runs the best!!?? with a nice trail of blue smoke out the exhaust.

andy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20588.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	506270  
Old 08-13-2006, 09:47 AM
blackdogafd

bump[>:]
Old 08-13-2006, 09:55 AM
michaelkirbyc

my optidrive went out and i installed forward only conversion. i have had no more problems. my lhs said this kit also reduces internal rotating mass letting the transmission gears spin more freely. thus better performance.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 PM
hpimaster

I just bought a tmaxx 3.3 and the optidrive will not allow the batts to go below 5.8 volts before the throttle servo stops I wish it was setup like a revo with the reciever pack what should I do my lhs mechanic said that everone that bought one has complained about the batteries not lasting for more than 4 tanks but mine is worse