Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

whats the advantages of digital servos over analog

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

whats the advantages of digital servos over analog

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Indecline099

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the advantages of digital servos over analog

i just bought a 5779 hitec servo and i was wondering what the advantages are over the analog
Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 PM
bennyblanco

Default RE: question about digital servos

well when people upgrade there servos is for one with more torque for better steering! dont know about yours how much torque does it have?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Indecline099

its got 188 oz of torque and .16 speed, i had the hitech 645 servo but i didnt get the performance i was expecting so i decided to go with this one its got titanium gears and a coreless motor, but i was wondering exactly what the digital performance brings, faster response times??? im not really sure
Old 09-18-2006, 09:33 PM
bennyblanco

oh ok someone with more experience will drop some info i want to know to!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:47 PM
everydayflyer

Default RE: whats the advantages of digital servos over analog

Mostly they center with more precession but you need a high end radio to gain this denefit. They have more holding power whih helps with aircraft a lot more than with trucks.
They use more current so they run your batterie down faster. When used with and inexpencive sports radio they are always seaking center so they use even more current.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:49 PM
bspate

Check out this link about servos to get info on the differences between digital and analog, cored and coreless, and the beneifits of different types of gears......

http://www.hitecrcd.com/education/performance.htm

Just click on the links at the top of the page for each of the different sections.......its worth the read!!

- bspate -
Old 09-18-2006, 10:26 PM
SAVAGEJIM

What everyone else said is true. But the primary advantage to having digital servos is the fact that you can program them. This of course means that you will need a radio sustem that is capable of programing the servos. Digital servos will still work with a radio that cannot progam them and they will still exhibit stronger holding torque and precision, but like everdayflyer said, you need a higher end radio.

The nice thing about digital servos and progamable radios is that you can do alot of cool stuff like change the expnential curves, ABS braking with the brake servo, and even mixing. A high end radio can even give you a custom servo curve! A high end radio will not be able to give you different servo curves with analog servos. As a matter of fact, most high end radios tell you not to use analog servos in certian modes because the receiver could be roasted!

You digital servo will do fine with whatever radio you have. But if you have or will get a higher end radio with programing capability, be sure to read the instructions carefully.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
crop

I'm running with futaba 9451 8.6kg/0.1s servo at steering, that thing is fast! and i even feel it turns more steady and solid than my SANWA ERG-VX servo which claims to be 13kg/0.1s.
The advantage of digital servo, as i know, is that within any range it turns, it has the same maximized output, whereas for an analog one, its output increases with the angle it turns which means at a slight motion it doesnot output as powerful and as fast. its output go up rapidly when a more extensive motion is applied or a larger force is exerted to the steering structure. that's why analog servos are always less responsive than digital servos even if they are claimed to be same in torque and speed.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Indecline099

well ive got a spektrum dx2, so im pretty good on the radio end
Old 09-19-2006, 10:30 AM
everydayflyer

DX 2 is an entry level DSM radio. They are OK but not high end by anymeans. Just the Spektrum Pro Transmitter Module to go in a high end Transmitter and a matching receiver cost $190.

$200 transmitter plus $190 Spektrum Pro to controll a $500 Revo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88745.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	526836  
Old 09-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Indecline099

i know its not high end but im just pointing out i dont have the stock radio
Old 09-19-2006, 12:13 PM
ahamade

That DX2 will let you take advantage of the digital servo's. I use digital servo's in my trucks and they work great. You get more holding power for steering which is great if you put 40 series tires on your truck. Also the other features that were mentioned earlier are great too.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry to disagree, but digital servos are still great if you're using a basic/stock radio. The speed and strength are there...yes they use more power (that has nothing to do w/your radio sophistication), but they're still the best choice for anyone upgrading their servo.

Really, that's mostly due to coreless motors...which are better for centering & overall reliability. Bottom line, though, is that if you're shopping for a high strength/pretty high speed coreless-motored, metal-geared servo (all great features)...digital servos are your ONLY OPTIONS!!!

I've had a Hitec 5945 from the get-go w/my stock Maxx radio, and it's great! My 2700mah NiMH pack sure helps, though!!