Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo motor mount troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:31 PM
nxk2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo motor mount troubles

Well I have had my revo 3.3 running for 2 days and it’s broke. I did the motor brake in plus one tank yesterday. Today I fine tuned the motor and took it to the park to have some fun when the spur gear stripped. I picked up a new spur gear on my way home. When I removed the motor I found it had a broken motor mount. I thought it was odd to have a stripped spur with such little time but even worse to find a broken motor mount. I didn’t even get a chance to get rough with the truck before it broke. The worse thing that happened before it stripped was rolling it over because I’m not used to turning the monster truck yet. Is a broken motor mount common? Could a simple roll cause a broken motor mount? Could it be a bad casting? After thinking about it when I was tuning the motor I noticed the spur gear looked like the plastic on the sides was sticking out further then the center. That was only 6 tanks into owning the truck. I think all together I have 8 tanks ran through it.

When I unpacked the truck the body was cut on the side where it didn’t get installed correctly before they packaged it. Traxxas is sending me a new body without a fuss. I hope they resolve this issue just as easily. I would like to see them swap out the entire truck. Another problem that I have had is the glow plug wire. When I tried to change the glow plug I pushed the wire out from under the plastic top on the motor and the sheathing tore exposing the wire. Talk about cheap wiring. Monday I will call my lhs and then call Traxxas.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:37 PM
rawkfist2

Default RE: Revo motor mount troubles

Never sptripped a spur. Never broke a mount. It could have just been a hard hit when it rolled. No its not commen. And the lead wire. Everyone trashes it and puts a glow ignitor on it. I have one if you want to buy. Just PM me.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:42 PM
ScRacing

My engine mount was one of the first odd thingts to brake as well. I was just driviing along and i punched teh gas, poped a wheelie and all of a sudden i heard a TING, and then a rattling noise, so i brought it in and couldn't find anything wrong with it? So i kept going and when i got home i just started pulling it apart and i found that hte fin that goues inbetween the chassis and the bulk head. So you get 2 bodies? Sweet!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:08 PM
splcrazy

yep usually when the engine mount goes loose it will strip the spur gear and then could break the mount if you keep throttleing it .one thing you need to do is keep checking if all srews and bolts are tight before use and after use wich reminds me lol

do traxxas make spur gears out of steel plastic sux
Old 09-24-2006, 09:58 AM
stickerman

I broke 2 motor mounts. they suck, i went to get one at the hobby shop and was told they were on back order til oct sometime,
Old 09-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Pritchett

I went through 4 motor mounts in the first month of owning my truck. I've been on my current one for almost a month now. I think there are some major issues with the quality of some traxxas parts.

I'm not sure if design, or materials should be blamed, but the chassis, carb body, and motor mounts on the revo don't hold up as well as i think they should. I've had repeated problems with both and I'm not a hard basher.

anyway... grab a couple on ebay. they're 20 bucks at the LHS, you can get them for less than 10 on the bay.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:00 PM
trefour

I put a .30 on my revo and striped over 10 gears do thay make metal gears 4 it[>:]
Old 09-24-2006, 03:23 PM
T I G

broke my motor mount in 2 places.

trefour,
YES, of course they make metal spur gears. Robinson makes them, they are by far the best.
You will need a hardened clutchbell to.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:14 PM
nxk2000

I took a closer look and it appears that there was a problem with the machining or tooling process. If you look close at the hole where it’s cracked you can see the hole was elongated about .045 wider and .006 deep from the surface of the mount. I’m guessing that this was either caused by a cutter during the machining process or the end of the screw during the installation because the holes did not align with the motor. You can’t tell from the picture but if you look through the other hole it appears to be elongated a small amount also. This is some good information to let Traxxas know if they try to give me a hard time about swapping out the truck. No telling if there was any premature stress applied to the motor from this problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69547.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	529685  
Old 09-24-2006, 09:07 PM
nxk2000

I went out and looked at the motor. I found that the hole matching up to the crack was definitely misaligned with the mount. You can see where the threads of the screw dug into the side of the hole. Either way if the holes on the motor or the mount are off this could be fixed by opening the holes with a slightly larger reamer. That should prevent any stress being applied due to the misalignment. If traxxas takes care of this the way they should and swap out trucks the first thing I will do remove the mount and check for cracks. I probably will have to magnuflux the mount to see anything. Of course why should I have to do this, where is quality control at traxxas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96922.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	529812  
Old 09-24-2006, 10:46 PM
89ram

i've got a .32 on mine, of course that required a big block motor mount. but i only stripped one spur, and that was on the original motor. i think the mount adjustment loosened a bit. i set my mesh by feel, no paper gap baloney. very few problems.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:58 PM
N30N

Only stipped a few spur gears in about 4 gallons.

Broke one of those mounts as well.

it all comes from poor mesh, and not putting Loctite on your mount bolts...
Old 09-24-2006, 11:00 PM
N30N

Oh, forgot to mention I am running a Picco .26 Max, 16T clutch Bell, and 36T plastic spur gear.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:14 PM
ScRacing

i have only striped one spure gear, and it was when i was seeing how long of a wheelie i could hold with my sirio 23 and i hade my slipper realy tight, it just basically turned my spure into a plastic wheel.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:36 PM
SIM2U
Banned

Mine was A1.

Except the ground wire for the starter system was touching the SG and totally cut it in half and I did not see this prior to run-in. Traxxas replaced with no problems at all and sent me a replacement ASAP. The engine mount is not the strongest as its not billet. You should replace it with a billet version as soon as you can.

Mine was fine though and I was dropping it off 4~5ft drops and jumps like a mad man before decked it out for racing.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:00 PM
SIM2U
Banned

But because the motor mount is not billet and cast, each one will be slightly different from the other in terms of quality and overall strength. you could have just been the unlucky one with a more than lower quality cast piece.

Most RC manufacturers are the same inlcuding HPI, Traxxas, Duratrax, CEN and other aswell. Its a cost effective measure and they know that most people will upgrade these parts.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Chewitt1973

My Revo 3.3 is stock and I followed the break in to the letter. Also took it easy for first 4 tanks after break in.
As soon as I opened it up it stripped spur gear (factory set slipper), replaced the spur, took truck out and again stripped the spur, this time when loosening the engine to replace the spur a piece of the engine mount fell out!

The durability of the Revo is poor, I do really like the truck, and believe it has potential... just as long as it dont break every 20 minutes of run time.

I also have a Savage 4.6 X and I have not had a single problem with it, and its been crashed into goal posts and walls and kerbs by my 10 year old boy... just wish the Revo was as capable in real life and not just on paper.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:08 PM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

The insulation on the wires traxxas uses is prone to breaking. Get some shrink tubing for the wire, layer it two thick. That should stop the it from being exposed.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 AM
heli
My Feedback: (2)

Is there a way to make sure you get the correct gear mesh? I know for my 1/18th scale cars i use a slip of paper. How can i do this on larger scale? I plan on selling my revo so i want it to be rtr!  Thanks