Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

RD Quick Turn

Old 10-07-2006, 05:50 PM
ScRacing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RD Quick Turn

What is a quick turn? I think it is just a center diff but why is it so expensive and how does it work?
Old 10-07-2006, 06:26 PM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: RD Quick Turn

"....center diff....." LMAO....that's a good one! It's a front drive shaft pecision machined with a one way bearing installed to prevent all braking to the front wheels.......
Old 10-07-2006, 07:58 PM
ScRacing

So with no brakes going to the front wheels, how does that help over all performence? To me i think that would slow you down? PLease explain a bit more
Old 10-07-2006, 08:30 PM
crop

With a center diff you can brake both front and rear. the use of center diff distributes output to front and rear as the surface requires. A normal monster truck without center dif, when cornering, brakes front and rear simultaneously as you apply the brake. this will bring the truck to sudden stop but aslo lead to erratic traction. It aslo drag down the steering efficiency since the front wheels which control the direction are now braked. and when you hits off out of corner, power is transferred to rear wheels more than necessary, leading to the front end to arise, lose traction and affect steering efficiency.
BUT with center dif, the brake to front and rear could be adjusted as you require to keep the truck more stable, and when out of corner, as you hit the throttle, center diff will allow front wheel to spin faster than rear to compensate the traction loss, and also prevent too much power to the rear.
drop one in, you'll love it. but NO WHEELIES any more! and it's no more than a normal diff but it's expensive for that there's no other replacement in the market lol
Old 10-07-2006, 08:31 PM
TWERPA
My Feedback: (19)

When your racing and hit a tight corner the rear wheels brake causing you to slide the rear around so that the front has all the power to get through the turn faster insted of all wheel's braking.Rd has one but it's high.I found a cheaper one that gives you the option to be 4 braking all the time or as I tried to describe above.Hope this help'd you out.www.hobbyetc.com part#RVO315QC
Old 10-07-2006, 08:54 PM
ScRacing

So a center diff is probubly better then the quick turn corect?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Mr. Mugen

I have a quick turn and love it. I have to order the center diff and try it out. I bet they will work great together.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:58 PM
ScRacing

lol, good luck with that, i gess if you had to you could allways cut up your plastic driveshafts and make it all fit, good luck wiht it thoe and let us know what happens!
Old 10-07-2006, 10:02 PM
crop

So the QUICK TURN is a sort of construction LOL, I didn't know that. I can see it's a one way design. I've never seen any buggies or monster truck running with that kind of construction. But I know similar construction is used in touring cars....even so, not everyone is running with that in their touring car because it depends on the surface, and what's more, it employs advances skill. Think about it, when you apply the brake, the car nose dives, and the gravity center is moving forward which means if your car can brake the rear only, you are almost without brake. that's why proper use of one way make the car faster in cornering because it has no brake lol. But for monster trucks, I don't think it'll be good in racing. just think about how to level your truck in the air: now you lose half of the braking power so you might not be able to bring the nose down in time. just give my opinion, I don't have experience on it though. It might turn out to be good.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:19 PM
revopqrs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been running a qt for a long time, it rocks!! if ya like to point and shoot in corners anyways..
the center diff sucks if ya run a big block, that traxxas diff just doesnt cut it! even with diff lock grease it still blows all the power to the front and balloons the tires like a pizza cutter.. totally sucks! maybe with a small block it would work well, but if ya run a big block take my advise and avoid the center diff.
the quick turn kinda does the same thing, but it keeps power on the rear tires so you dont lose acceleration.
the center diff makes a big block revo as slow as a small block in a drag race.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:35 PM
89ram

are you serious? center diff bad for big blocks? i've got one for my .32 equipped 3.3 revo, not in yet. i don't race, just bash around, maybe drag race or so, but no regular competitive racing on any regular basis. i also just got a 2.5 revo w/ a xtm .28 in it. backflips!!! please give me all the center diff info you have, good or bad! thanks a bunch!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Mr. Mugen

It's awesome in my racer. A kind of construction? Guess you lost me there. It is a simple concept....heck its the same as the one way bearing on the stock starter (EZ starter) or a PS . It's a one way bearing that rides on a shaft. And if you don't have one...........you won't win a race here. Our track is pretty tight so steering precision is a must.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70144.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	822.2 KB
ID:	536899  
Old 10-07-2006, 11:38 PM
revopqrs

ORIGINAL: 89ram

are you serious? center diff bad for big blocks? i've got one for my .32 equipped 3.3 revo, not in yet. i don't race, just bash around, maybe drag race or so, but no regular competitive racing on any regular basis. i also just got a 2.5 revo w/ a xtm .28 in it. backflips!!! please give me all the center diff info you have, good or bad! thanks a bunch!

ya man, they dont work well if ya have alot of power... we tried several weights of oil then finally tried diff lock and it still blew the power out the front. it made the trucks slow in a straight line...
the consensus in my neck of the woods is it sucks!! we all run quick turns because they work way better for a basher. its a lame little diff too! im used to buggy center diffs, the traxxas diff is tiny! looks like it came out of a gum ball machine! lol..
dont buy one if ya plan to have a bb revo....
now if your running a small block and ya race im sure it works well because it doesnt get over powered.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:48 PM
ScRacing

Would it be posible to frankenstien a buggy center diff into your revo? Im not 100% sure on how the traxxas diff sets up comapaired to buggies so i have no idea, around hear no one has buggies.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:21 AM
89ram

well, goodie! atleast i have'nt installed it yet. so i can't put on that rear brake then either? both my revos [2.5&3.3] are BB's! just bashin'! so what's the story on quick turns? what's needed for them? what's not? i don't have a clue. somebody help me!
Old 10-08-2006, 02:20 AM
revopqrs

watch this vid, both revos are running quick turns. you can see how they turn differently than a stock revo.
mines the white one with a novarossi 528xr, and the other has a picco 26.
no front brakes so its like pullin the e brake around corners!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...27152753&hl=en
Old 10-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Uglysteve

Keep in mind that if all you have is rear brakes then you have less than half the stopping power you did with 4 wheel brakes. So if you run a track with a fast straightaway, be careful not to hit the brakes too late or you will whack the wall at high speed or fly off the track. A component change like this requires a driving skill upgrade as well.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:26 PM
littlemotor

i think i'm sold on the quickturn. great vid. i wanna play too! -littlemotor