Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

tips on keeping the front end down

Old 10-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Indecline099

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips on keeping the front end down

well first off i have an OS .18 in my revo and i just went to my first race, i did ok but the wheelies were killing me, what are some tricks i can do to stop the wheeling, i know about adding weight up front but i dont want it to nose dive on the jumps, so what else can i do
Old 10-15-2006, 10:38 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: tips on keeping the front end down

center diff will do it.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Indecline099

is that allowable in the mt class
Old 10-15-2006, 11:04 PM
blackdogafd

if you want to keep the front end down change your clutch bell. I have a Revo 3.3 and i still run the 38T spur and a 15T bell which are stock. and the thing pulls wheelies all day long. i bought a 17T bell for it and used it along with the 38T spur thats all you need to keep the front end down. you lose some of your low end torque which is what causes front end lift.

but with the 17T bell like i stated loses some low end torque but you increase your top end speed. try that and see if you like it... I only use when i race and thats a rare occasion. i you want pm me cause i never use the 17T bell i have.

andy
Old 10-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Indecline099

ill try that out
Old 10-15-2006, 11:31 PM
asianplayer

also try out the extended rear arms from Tekno RC or from traxxas, once i got those mine stopped doing wheelies.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:44 PM
MBX5T Maniac

LOL, just get the center diff. Why sacrifice torque, which is very important, in order to keep the front down, if you could simply add something that can increase your acceleration even more, but reduces wheelieing?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Indecline099

i would get the center diff but i dont know if i can have that and run in the standard MT class at my local track, i dont want to spend the money on that and then not be able to use it
Old 10-16-2006, 12:14 AM
blackdogafd

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

LOL, just get the center diff. Why sacrifice torque, which is very important, in order to keep the front down, if you could simply add something that can increase your acceleration even more, but reduces wheelieing?
yeah good point... like i stated thats just what i tried and it worked, but i didnt really see that much of a difference in torque though it just didnt pull the frt end up with the 17T bell, but thats just my exprience talking.

the center diff is a good idea!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:10 AM
mrjerryk

You could try a softer spring and light oil in the rear so the suspension takes the force instead of lifting the front of the truck. Now sure if that will be enough though.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:02 AM
MBX5T Maniac

Listen people, do you notice how most truggies don't wheelie? They have a center diff, which allows you to change how power is distributed to the wheels. With MT's, the power is transferred equally to the front and rear, therefor when there is enough power, the truck wheelies. With a center diff, depending on the thickness of the fluid in the center diff, either more power is transferred to the front or the rear wheels, depending on how you want it to handle. Thick fluid makes it more like a MT, with equal transfer to front and rear, and you will wheelie. with the Revo center diff, the stock 100,000 wt is a good starting point, and should work well, but if it still wheelies, go to thinner fluid. If too much power is transferred to the front wheels because of too thing of fluid, go up in thickness. But 100,000 weight shall eliminate the wheelieing for the most part
Old 10-16-2006, 07:53 AM
125cchyperman

The center diff would eliminate the wheelies but as he stated earlier he's not sure if they would allow that in the mt class. Basically what you want to do is slow the transfer of weight to the rear of the truck. Heavier springs, heavier shock weight oil, would do the trick. Also tha ability to not go full throttle could help to. I know that for most people they think full throttle is the fastest way around the track. But this is a good place example of where to go faster you have to go slower. A little less throttle will do you a ton. It's like a st you cant be full throttle all the time. Ease into the throttle coming off the turns and onto the straight away.

This is where you will only learn in due time. It takes track experience to learn this and you havent had the track experience yet. But as I said you want to slow the transfer of weight. Heavier shock oil and heavier spring will do this you getting to much bite forward and you need to reduce the traction, but in doing this it may hurt you in other aspects. Did you ever think about asking other guys at the track and see what there doing or you could simply ask for help with your setup. The setup is a huge thing in racing and a good setup will make the difference between 1st and 41st. Do what I have said or see if you can get the center diff, see what others are doing or ask for help. But good luck in racing.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:49 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Loosen your slipper a little
Old 10-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Nebukatnizar

ORIGINAL: mrjerryk

You could try a softer spring and light oil in the rear so the suspension takes the force instead of lifting the front of the truck. Now sure if that will be enough though.
i agree with mrjerryk, get softer rear springs, and lighter shock oil....it should dothe trick without spending too much $$$$
Old 10-16-2006, 04:34 PM
REVO_RACER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im with tommy all u have to do is loosen the slipper clutch a little
Old 10-16-2006, 06:28 PM
RvoMad

center diff..............
Old 10-17-2006, 03:50 AM
anci3nt

here's my take on it:

- center diff: will help keep it down but is not a choice as he mentioned.
- stronger/thicker rear springs/shocks: will help keep the cg lower relative to the pivot point, but may not ultimately help significantly for wheelies since it's really the sharp 'jerks' that pop the front up.
- weaker/thinner rear springs/shocks: will put the cg higher relative to the pivot point, making it easier to flip up, but absorbs the sharp 'jerks' better to dampen the pop.
- loosen the slipper: lets the sharp jerks caused from torque to slip, relieving the bite.
- experience on throttle control: manually adjust for the wheelies.

my suggestion is for loosening the slipper and practicing throttle control. over time you can tighten the slipper back as you get a better feel for the wheelies. the slipper clutches purpose is to absorb sharp backlash from wheels stopping abruptly (as in a landing on high traction surface after the engine is rev'd up) and also to help with torque control (as in popping wheelies and slippage on low traction surfaces). i am not a fan of adjusting the springs/shock-oil as it will affect the way your truck handles and is not really what they are designed to compensate for.

so to summary again, loosen the slipper and get some practice with it.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:57 PM
bigtre

yes i have a vx 16 engine for sale stil in box never used
Old 12-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Fiegs

Did i miss something????

Ive been looking at the center diff for my revo but I dont know if it is allowed at my track.
As for wheelies just losen your slipper slightly and dont WOT coming out of the turns.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:57 PM
ChuckDeez

ORIGINAL: TheFinalCut

Did i miss something????

Ive been looking at the center diff for my revo but I dont know if it is allowed at my track.
As for wheelies just losen your slipper slightly and dont WOT coming out of the turns.
steve slayden and them run center diffs, and they run in the MT class.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:35 AM
Custom Revo

Not only that with the center diff you can add the rear brake and it helps your handeling quite a bit.
ORIGINAL: Indecline099

i would get the center diff but i dont know if i can have that and run in the standard MT class at my local track, i dont want to spend the money on that and then not be able to use it
Old 12-08-2006, 10:27 AM
F-150man94

ORIGINAL: Indecline099

well first off i have an OS .18 in my revo and i just went to my first race, i did ok but the wheelies were killing me, what are some tricks i can do to stop the wheeling, i know about adding weight up front but i dont want it to nose dive on the jumps, so what else can i do
I don't mean this to be critical at all but learning how to drive and having the right suspension set-up is the key! Spend time practicing getting in the throttle a little at a time instead of WOT coming out of every turn.
Practice cornering. Find which speeds to enter turns and practice coming out of them while keeping check on the throttle. Experiment with different suspension setups. I would start out with 50wt in the front and rear. You might want to consider gold springs in the rear and green springs in the front. (Just a suggestion.)
Practice jumping your truck. Learn how to control your truck in the air and you will benefit. Nothing is worse than a good looking jump followed by a crash landing. It will KILL you in a race.
Just remember, sometimes you have to go slow to go fast!

I raced an O.S. .18TM before I raced the Picco. I had to learn how to drive all over again when I made the change. Not to mention a ton of suspension tuning. Oh! By the way, I don't have a center diff and I still clean up almost every time I go to the the local track......I also tighten the slipper clutch all the way. I've just learned how to control the throttle. I'm running the 2.5 Revo with a Picco .26 and a monster GT pipe. Forgive me for taking pictures with the stock tires and wheels.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 AM
happywing

I've never heard of the center diff being illegal. Like a previous poster said, Steve Slayden (all the pro's for that matter) run the center diff. I'd be surprise if you local rules are more strict.

Center differential is the best answer to your problem. Everything else mentioned will affect your setup. The CD will also help you turn better.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 PM
SlowDriver

Yep, most of the advice here is good. Softer on the springs and shock oil, diff if you can afford it. A few guys at my track installed diffs in their Revos, then ended up removing them because they didn't like them. I dunno why, maybe because they didn't set them up correctly?
Old 12-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Custom Revo

I picked up quite a few seconds around the track after I put the center diff in. I agree with learning to drive and tuning the car for handeling, but you need the right equipment to to get the most out of you truck. As for F-150man, dude you must be a very good driver my hat's off to you. I also feel you would be faster if you used the center diff and rear brake setup (IMO, and from my experience).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.