Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo Engines - Which One To Upgrade Too

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 12:25 PM
REVO-Beat-U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo Engines - Which One To Upgrade Too

It's time to upgrade to a new engine in my Revo (2.5). Of course I hear most people saying make sure to use an O.S. engine, either the .18 TM or the .18 TZ. I have heard of other engines also, and I want to know if anyone has ever used any of the following engine in their Revo:

1.) Team Orion Wasp .21 SB (which states it is a direct fit for the Traxxas 2.5)
2.) Trinity Sirio .18
3.) O.S. .18 EB Fully Modified

So what I would like to know is, with O.S. being the most talked about engine to upgrade to, are any of these other engines worth looking at? Is Orion a reliable engine manufacturer? Does Trinity still make a good engine? Anyone who has used any of these engines, please let me know what you thought of them. I would like to stay in the .18 engine size so I dont have any problems with CC's at my local track so I am thinking the big blocks are out of the question for my application.

So please feel free to tell me your thoughts or experiences, and if you have other suggestions other than those I listed let me know, thanks for your help.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:28 PM
ofna_kyle

Default RE: Revo Engines - Which One To Upgrade Too

instead of wasting space on the forum page.... you should look at the other hundreds of these same forums. I count 3 on the front page. HOWEVER, not to waste your time in reading this, I will give you an answer. O.S. 18tm all the way!!!1
Old 12-05-2006, 07:34 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the fully modified OS .18TM. I have the unmodified one in my revo and it runs great and is very reliable. Modified it should be just nuts.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Fiegs

O.S. is just the best small block engine there is right now.
The eb mods should make it even better.
I dont own a o.s. but have tuned about 15 of them at the hobby shop i work at.
It is like a paid lunch break when i have to tune an o.s.

My choice: O.S. Eb Modded by far
Old 12-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Custom Revo

I would go OS all the way!!!!! I have an OS .18 and it's crazy fast, faster that my 3.3 was. Has a little less top end, but who cares I race on the track and never hit top speed except on one straightaway.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:28 AM
happywing

The EB Modded TM will totally dominate a 3.3, top to bottom.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:21 PM
REVO-Beat-U

Thanks for the information guys. The more I research new engines, the more I lean toward the OS 18TM. One thing I did find is the OS 18TM is 3.0cc with a peak of around 34,000RPM. The Traxxas TRX 3.3 is 3.3cc with a peak of 50,000RPM. I spoke with tech's at both OS and Traxxas and from what I hear from both of them the OS engine is going to be quicker from 0 - 20 MPH but the Traxxas will without doubt be 5 - 7 MPH faster on top end.

Have any of you run your OS 18TM head to head against a Traxxas 3.3? I would be interested to see if the information I got from the manufacturers is true.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:57 PM
TriPower

ORIGINAL: REVO-Beat-U

Thanks for the information guys. The more I research new engines, the more I lean toward the OS 18TM. One thing I did find is the OS 18TM is 3.0cc with a peak of around 34,000RPM. The Traxxas TRX 3.3 is 3.3cc with a peak of 50,000RPM. I spoke with tech's at both OS and Traxxas and from what I hear from both of them the OS engine is going to be quicker from 0 - 20 MPH but the Traxxas will without doubt be 5 - 7 MPH faster on top end.

Have any of you run your OS 18TM head to head against a Traxxas 3.3? I would be interested to see if the information I got from the manufacturers is true.
50,000 rpm from a 3.3? I think that's a mistake. 35k is a little closer to its usable power range, with peak power in the 30k area.

I run a OS V-spec, which is an honest 40k+ motor, in another truck. It's much faster and revs much higher than my 3.3

Have you looked at the RB523 or Picco .26 Max yet? They are both great engines for the Revo. Maybe you have track engine restrictions?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:59 PM
happywing

I thought you were asking about an EB Modded TM. We had all three of these engines on the track a couple of weeks ago. Had them all tuned pretty good and all had a temp around 240 degrees (the 3.3 was a little warmer, but it runs best on the hot side). The TM pulled a holeshot on the 3.3, but the 3.3 cought up, so the info you gathered sounds accurate to me. The EB Modded TM, beat them both quite handily both out of the gate and top end...by quite a margin.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:15 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If money is not an issue, get the EB modded TM. Other than that, id strongly recommend the Sirio .18
Old 12-07-2006, 10:35 PM
REVO-Beat-U

Ok thanks. Thats the information I was hoping for. I just want to make sure to get the best bang for the buck is all. Thanks for the help. If anyone has other suggestions I would be happy to hear them. This Picco .26 sounds interesting to, Im going to have to check into that one also.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:06 PM
3.3vssavvy

I'm having a similar problem, i think im gonna get a picco 26 max, but the os tm modded looks nice too.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:32 PM
rawkfist2

Os 18 TZ modified is more like it.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:36 AM
Kawasakirider

The modded TM makes more power than the modded TZ rawk............ Just coz the Tz is better stock doesn't mean it is modded.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:33 PM
REVO-Beat-U

After doing a bunch of reading and talking to others about which engine to upgrade to, I think I have actually eliminated the OS .18TM and .18TZ from consideration. I am leaning toward the PICCO .26 or the TRX 3.3 engine. Both have more top end than the OS engines, which on the track I race top end is needed. The OS seems to be a very good engine, but I dont think they are the way to go for my application. I could find out this was the wrong move later, but in that case I will just end up going out and buying a different engine.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:34 PM
REVO-Beat-U

Decisions, decisions.... I just ordered the THS racing pipe for revo and a couple hundred dollars of other parts. Saturday is the day I will go pick up the engine. I still am split on which one to get, Picco .26 or TRX 3.3..... Guess its going to be a last minute call. I did want to also ask, does anyone run the Traxxas (part 5333R) extended suspension arms on thier Revo? These are the ones that are adjustable from 10mm to 19mm. I am thinking of getting them at the same time I purchase the engine, but I wanted to make sure that anyone who has them saw a performance gain with them. Thanks for any input you might have.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:14 AM
Fiegs

I did want to also ask, does anyone run the Traxxas (part 5333R) extended suspension arms on thier Revo? These are the ones that are adjustable from 10mm to 19mm. I am thinking of getting them at the same time I purchase the engine, but I wanted to make sure that anyone who has them saw a performance gain with them. Thanks for any input you might have.
It increases the width of the truck which gives it better stability.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:58 AM
happywing

Your decision is made then. It's the Picco .26. Don't get the 3.3. It can be a good engine, but it's very difficult to tune. You'll spend more time turning screws than running...Trust me.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Miami RC

18tm modded....will run better than the 3.3 on the track....the picco .26 will overpower the revo on the track...too much bottom end....I have run all three engines and the 18tm is the hands down winner...not to mention that the tuning is basically set it and forget it....where the 3.3 has a crap carb and you will spend too much time messing with it...
Old 12-14-2006, 01:04 PM
flynvy5
My Feedback: (2)

I have the os18tm in my maxx and love it my buddy has the picco in his revo and he can't keep the front end on the ground
Old 12-14-2006, 01:42 PM
skaterngolfer

hey what do you guys think about the picco .26 ez start???? i need a new engine and thought... why not spen a couple extra bucks and get a BB???
Old 12-14-2006, 06:34 PM
flynvy5
My Feedback: (2)

its a beast of a motor make sure and read the dark side thread
Old 12-15-2006, 10:49 AM
REVO-Beat-U

Well, nothing like changing my mind for the tenth time. I ordered an OS .18TM EB mod last night after talking with the guys at my local hobby shop. I already have the THS Racing Pipe on order, so the combo should go together well I would think. I think my list of improvements is longer than my list of factory original parts now. I cant wait for spring now so I can go race.....guess I should install the new parts first though shouldnt I.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:18 PM
REVO-Beat-U

Ok guys, I now have the OS .18TM EB Modified engine and the THS Racing Pipe for my Revo (along with about $400 of other upgrades). Before I pull everything apart and start to work on the rebuild of the truck, is anyone out there running the OS .18TM EB with the THS Racing Pipe? If so what gearing are you running? I keep hearing the stock gearing has a ton of bottom end, and decent top end. If this is true, wouldnt it make sense to change the gearing a bit and decrease the bottom end a little and maybe get more mid and top range? Anyone who is currently running this engine and pipe combo, please let me know what gearing you are running and how the truck performs with this gearing. Thanks to all.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Smokieflame

I own a fully mod'd revo 2.5 with a OS 18TM EB Mod. It is a BAD ASS engine. It has serius torque, serius top end and excelerates like no other. I put a Traxxas Resinator pipe and love the sound and low end power. It is great for track use b/c unlike most .18's it does not have a weak low end. I had to put a center diff in with 300k lube just to keep the front end down and tires from turning to pizza cutters. With 40 series crimefighters 23mm hubs it would still flip over with a hard take off. Another great engine that is about $100 less is the Picco Maxx .26, I have one on my T-Maxx 3.3 and it is insane. I put it on my revo once 9just takes a diff motor mount made by Ofna) and that thing rocked low to top end. I have since ported/polished the .26 and it is INSANE!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.