Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Spektrum’s DX2.0 for Revo 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:58 PM
cd_14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum’s DX2.0 for Revo 3.3

Hello I was considering the Spektrum’s DX2.0 for my Revo so that I could run at the track--27 mhz seems a bit crowded. I need a basic understanding of what is involved in making the change. It is simply plug-and-play? What about compatility and any parts other parts that need to be purchased? Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:13 PM
DaveG55

Default RE: Spektrum’s DX2.0 for Revo 3.3

First off the DX2 is a 2 channel system. That means that you will not be able to use the reverse function. Don't know if that's a problem for you or not. Personally I like reverse but I don't race. If you decide you don't care about reverse you can either just leave all that stuff on the truck or (a better choice) install a Forward Only Conversion (FOC).
As far as plug and play, Yes, theroecically, it's plug and play. But, there have been issues with using aftermarket radios with the pti-drive. I do not know if the Spektrum's have issues or not. Traxxas has some info on their site about setting up after market radios so you might check there. Worst case is that you have to pull the opti-drive (which you'll have to do anyway if you pull the reverse and get a FOC kit.) and just run straight to the servos from th reciever. If you do that you should consider a failsafe (is it the DX 2 or 3 or both that has a built in failsafe?).
Old 01-16-2007, 07:00 PM
cd_14

Thanks for the reply. I liked my reverse too, but I have the C-Diff and rear brakes installed. If it is that easy I will look into it more--getting tired of getting truck-jacked.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:35 PM
DaveG55

The DX3 would work for you. Worst case would be that you have to remove the Opti-drive and would have to be careful that you came to a complete stop before shifting.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:13 PM
happywing

If you don't need the 3rd channel, the DX2 will be great. Yes, it's drop-in easy.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:12 AM
cd_14

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

The DX3 would work for you. Worst case would be that you have to remove the Opti-drive and would have to be careful that you came to a complete stop before shifting.
Humm, so it is mechanically possible to still use the reverse setup in the trans? Just without the Opti-Drive monitoring it...I don't have a problem being completely stopped. Can the trans be damaged easily? Can or do I have to have he brakes on to go into reverse?

ORIGINAL: happywing

If you don't need the 3rd channel, the DX2 will be great. Yes, it's drop-in easy.
I took a look at one today. I noticed that it came with two servos. I assume I can't use them because of the stock dual steering servos, correct? Can I mix the two types of servos. How about digital and analog servos, do I need to watch for that? Are the wire connectors alike?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Fiegs

The only thing you have to do besides install the reciever is "bind" it.
Its about a 3 minute process that basically tells the reciever to only listen to your transmitter and no one elses.

I took a look at one today. I noticed that it came with two servos. I assume I can't use them because of the stock dual steering servos, correct? Can I mix the two types of servos. How about digital and analog servos, do I need to watch for that? Are the wire connectors alike?
The servos that come with the dx2 are about the same as the stock.
I dont know if you can mix servos but, i wouldnt because the slower or weaker servo would just get dragged around by the better one.
Just get something like tis if your looking to upgrade your servo.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUZ89&P=M
Old 01-17-2007, 06:32 AM
happywing

ORIGINAL: happywing

[/quote]

You can mix anolog and digital servos, no problem. They will work off the same receiver...Same connectors. You could use the Z590 servo that comes with the DX2 for your steering and ditch the stock dual servo setup. I like a servo with a little more grunt than the 590, but it will work.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:43 AM
walterPPK

I'm truly ignorant in this subject...

-Can the DX3 be used with the stock TQ3 radio on Revo?
-What comes with the DX3?, why do I need new servos?, I assume I need a new receiver.

So basically I install something on my stock TQ3 radio, then mount the receiver on my Revo and plug the servos to the receiver. Correct?, do I need to remove the Opti-Drive?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
SlowDriver

ORIGINAL: walterPPK

I'm truly ignorant in this subject...

-Can the DX3 be used with the stock TQ3 radio on Revo?
-What comes with the DX3?, why do I need new servos?, I assume I need a new receiver.

So basically I install something on my stock TQ3 radio, then mount the receiver on my Revo and plug the servos to the receiver. Correct?, do I need to remove the Opti-Drive?
You will completely replace the stock TQ3 radio and receiver with the DX2 or DX3 equipment. They are not interchangeable.
With the DX3 you get the radio, a receiver (2 if you get the special), a Z590 servo (85oz torque) and a Z270 servo (49oz torque). The two servos cannot be used together for steering, because of their different torque and speed ratings. In my opinion the Z590 is ok for throttle, but not steering. You would want to get a better (133oz or higher) servo for steering. The Z270 is not worth much at all in these monster trucks.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:41 PM
walterPPK

Thanks SlowDriver, that explains alot!.

So I guess the only concern now is the optidrive, is it compatible?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:12 PM
cd_14

Well, I got a DX3...thanks for all the help! I installed it, but haven't done a test run. I bought it mainly for the 2.4 Ghz, but it also has a few features. I'm using the Traxxas servos with the Spektrum receiver and it works find; I just had to make a few adjustments with the trim and such. Unit feels better than the original Traxxas remote too.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:08 PM
walterPPK

What about the OptiDrive?.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:56 PM
MacPatton

IMO and many others Opti drive is junk and should be trashed the day the Revo is purchased anyway.LMAO I have heard of it causing runaways, shifting into reverse by itself when you are WOT and such. Trash it and get a venom failsafe.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:36 AM
cd_14

ORIGINAL: walterPPK

What about the OptiDrive?.
I have the center-diff and when I installed it, the wire connection instructions removed the Opti-Drive. Don't know if you can use it with the Spektrum receiver.

As with the Spektrum DX3...I used it today. I had two glitches, I lost connection with the truck for about a second each time. One about a football field away and the second time was about half. My original Traxxas Radio never hiccuped. This was at the same place too.