Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-Maxx Racer.....?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
rcdudegermy10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx Racer.....?

Hey I was just wondering why nobody races the T-Maxx anymore. I realize that the Revo is out now, but what makes it better than a T-Maxx? If I made my T-Maxx low to the ground, and light weight, and fast why wouldn't it be able to compete w/ a Revo.... or if it could how come no one does this....? What do you think of a T-Maxx being a Racer?
So far I have: RPM arms, fastlane lightweight chassis, O.S .18 TM, and integy bulks, motor saver air filter, 40 Series bow-ties, 23mm hex converter, and a couple things I can't remember..... So, after reading some posts here it seems that people think a T-Maxx can't compete any more at a national level.... why is this??
Old 02-27-2007, 10:39 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: T-Maxx Racer.....?

ORIGINAL: rcdudegermy08

Hey I was just wondering why nobody races the T-Maxx anymore. I realize that the Revo is out now, but what makes it better than a T-Maxx? If I made my T-Maxx low to the ground, and light weight, and fast why wouldn't it be able to compete w/ a Revo.... or if it could how come no one does this....? What do you think of a T-Maxx being a Racer?
So far I have: RPM arms, fastlane lightweight chassis, O.S .18 TM, and integy bulks, motor saver air filter, 40 Series bow-ties, 23mm hex converter, and a couple things I can't remember..... So, after reading some posts here it seems that people think a T-Maxx can't compete any more at a national level.... why is this??
The truck is what, 10 years old? Old design, steering and suspension geometry. Thats all I have to say. And to tell you the truth I laughed when I saw this thread.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:56 PM
rcdudegermy10

yea no s**t it's old, but why does that matter.... the rc10gt is what, 13 years old (it's still very competitive) and people were using it last year !!!

old design- doesn't matter (rc10gt is still competitive) an old design can still be good, that's why it hasn't changed
steering- what's wrong with that? upgraded servo which everyone has anyway = problem solved
suspension geometry- still handles great, you can run 4 shocks as well...(lighter)

I laughed when I saw your post...haha
Old 02-27-2007, 11:01 PM
-EXTRA-

rcdude your thinking like i am people dont think tmaxx are worthy to race well i got RPM arms gettin new tires/rims and body imma get mine hopped up to race gonna be able to hang with any revo there revo aint quit as good as the tmaxx but it makes a good 2nd
Old 02-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Intermission

At the local level of racing skill is more important than equipment, I was competitive with an electric 4-tec.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Kawasakirider

You could probably be competative at a club with a tmaxx, but a highly modded tmaxx and a highly modded revo, the revo will spank it. If you want to go with a racer tmaxx, you need to go full UE supermaxx on it's *****, they are the only Tmaxxes I like.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:58 AM
originalspacerob

I have to agree with Intermission. Skill is definitely more important than a fast truck. I do not race rc but i have raced pocket bikes. mine is only 2.5 hp but when i'm running with the 12.5hp bikes i can catch them in the corners. Of course they blow me away on the straight but if i had more power i know it'd be better. you know you need a better truck when you can catch people on corners and through technical sections with faster trucks. If they blow you away on the straights and you can hang or beat them there you know its time to upgrade. Its not all that hard to go fast in a straight line. But throw some jumps and curves and things get interesting. Until then it doesn't matter what truck anyone has. Tuning plays a big part too, from engine set up to suspension and tires.
Although, this summer i'd like to go to a few tracks here in connecticut and see how it is to drive the truck on the track. Then maybe i can see how it'd be racing RC. $15 once a month or every other week isn't bad to race. The RC bug has hit me again after almost 20 years out of the hobby.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:16 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Maybe you should explain to us the advantages of a UE Maxx, and how you set yours up to be competitive.....
Old 02-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Kawasakirider

Stop following me around, you're trolling the boards looking for me because your a 65 year old virgin with nothing better to do, go read a playboy man.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:38 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

I'm trying to get you to share with us some of your EXPERIENCE. You make statements about this or that, but when confronted with a request for practical, first hand experience, you instead retaliate with childish insults, NOT EXPERIENCED HOBBY RELATED ANSWERS> does this reflect on your credibility and ability to give substantive advice.....I must certainly think so.
I follow no one, but I do look for the real experienced hobbiests out there, and identify the wannabes, so the new guys at least have a chance to weigh the credibility of who answers their questions.....
Old 02-28-2007, 11:51 AM
running_gag

I do race my t-maxx. I do reasonably well. but the revo is a better racer. I've driven a revo and it just handles better. less body roll, more grip. It, really is just better. I've tried changing my setup to handle like a revo and I really don't think it can be done. but its all good because I'm still haveing fun. my next MT will probobly be a truggy though.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:35 PM
rcdudegermy10

yea, I'm having fun as well, but I was just wondering why people think a T-Maxx can't be a racer.....I'm not trying to be stubborn but it seems like it could be a worthy racer, after you make some mods and are serious about racing it. (Lighter, 4 buggy shocks...)
Old 03-01-2007, 04:04 AM
Kawasakirider

The tmaxx is top heavy like a savage, I've ran maxxes and owned a savage, they can be racers, but it takes allot of money and they won't compete with a revo around the track if the revo has a good driver and some racing mods. This is just my oppinion, take it however you want, i've ran savages and tmaxxes against revos, but hey, I am only a newb so my oppinions and experiences don't count.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 AM
dabro15

The tmaxx isnt top heavy. Ok with stock shock towers it a little high but if you get the alloy shock towers with a lot of mounting holes your good to go. Something like this: http://www.fullforcerc.com/MAXX_Tower.htm

The next mods you have to do is foward only conversion. Take out the reverse servo and reverse gear and lighten it up you truck and drive train. Then dump the ez start and get either a pull starter or roto start system. Get some 40 series bowties and youve practically got your self a truggy.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:01 AM
gkcontra

ORIGINAL: running_gag

my next MT will probobly be a truggy though.

Then it isn't an MT just a buggy with bigger tires...
Old 03-01-2007, 10:03 AM
gkcontra

ORIGINAL: Kawasakirider

If you want to go with a racer tmaxx, you need to go full UE supermaxx on it's *****, they are the only Tmaxxes I like.
Aside from what you 'like', UE isn't the be all, end all. UE is good if you want to beat the crap out of your truck and completely bash it or you have just hit the lottery and wanna blow it all on a toy. There is a lot that can be done to race a TMAXX without UE involved.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
125cchyperman

Well I did read all of the post's here, and the T-Maxx can be raced and can win in a race at a local event. In local events it's more of the driver that counts then the vehicle. As I say a good driver with a crappy vehicle will win againts the best vehicle with a crappy driver. The T-Maxx can win, infact I believe if I did some little mods to my maxx right now I think I could be competitive with the local REVO's up here. Now I wont say that I would win but I believe I could be competitive. But if you get equally good drivers one with a Revo and one with a T-Maxx the Revo would have a greater chance of winning. I dont think just because it's of old design that that will ultimately determine weather the truck can win. But the fact that the Revo is of a better racing design and was meant to be more of a racer then a basher where the T-Maxx was never meant to be a racer and when the T-Maxx was designed they didnt see what the MT would be doing in the future.

Another words they really didnt forsee the MT's being raced as much as they are today, 10 years or so ago when the T-Maxx was designed. I do believe the T-Maxx can win but you have got to remember the T-Maxx was not designed to race, like the REVO was.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 PM
soldier364

well i have a t-maxx 2.5 that is wide and low and i race at all the pro races on the east coast. i live right near rc madness in enfield ct and the t maxx can run with a revo. they are older but if update it it is just as good if not better then a revo ill have pics of my t- maxx soon
Old 03-10-2007, 12:08 AM
rcdudegermy10

Awesome, sounds great. I am pretty sure that my T-Maxx could compete w/ other monster trucks. I just need to get some lower shok towers, I think fastlane machine makes some cool ones....
Old 03-10-2007, 12:58 AM
BrendanS

if you're gunna get the flm shock towers which are great, you might as well get some 1/8th buggy shocks. I really like the ofna ones on the maxx. If you get the flm shock towers you will be able to run your truck with the rear buggy shocks. You will get a whole ton of travel. I plan on running the FLM small block chassis with the front buggy shocks with the stock shock towers. It should do pretty well. LMK if you ever do that set up. I know a guy from another forum that you can talk to, he's got probably the nicest e-maxx I've seen around
Old 07-11-2007, 02:12 AM
NitroNuisance

So are the rear buggy shocks longer than the mt shocks? If so wouldn't rour ride height be higher?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:44 AM
rcdudegermy10

this is an old thread...but in answer to your question, yes, the rear buggy shocks are too long, so it would make your ride height higher...however in racing higher ride height is not a good thing, b/c it raises your center of gravity causing your truck to roll over more