Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Need pull start

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:27 PM
FOQRS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need pull start

First mistake was buying a O.S 18 cv-r for my T-MAXX but now i see it doesn't have a pull start on it.what can I do to put one on?
Thanx
Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 PM
sunco1

Default RE: Need pull start

im just gonna suggest to you not to get a pull start. i lpersonaly dont like them because they sometimes break and are hard to start

just my opinion
Old 03-08-2007, 06:52 PM
FOQRS

well there is just an aluminum recessed case on the back.I need some way then to start this thing.I'm guessing I need a new crank with a stem for something to attach a starter of some kind..?
Thanx
Old 03-08-2007, 06:53 PM
sunco1

did you check and see if hey made a starter box for them. my bros got one at he loves it
Old 03-08-2007, 08:14 PM
DaveG55

First, why was the cv-r a mistake? They're generally very good engines.
Second, I don't think a starter box is going to work on a T-Maxx and it sounds like that's what the engine you bought is set up for. Was that the mistake?
If the engine is still unrun you might try returning it and getting the cv-rx (the "x" means it comes with a pull start. Otherwise, you're right, you'll have to get a new crank, backplate, one-way-bearing and pullstart.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 PM
87warrior

i loved my old cvx motor i had that was the strongest motor ive ever bought for my rc stuff you cant go wrong with an os motor. trust me dont do the pull start that stuff is expensive well it was a while back for all of that stuff you better off getting the starter box fro it.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:53 PM
DaveG55

Guys, starter boxes are fine but they won't work on a T-Maxx. You cannot get the bump wheel to the flywheel.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:49 PM
87warrior

traxxas makes an oversized flywheel for the maxx trucks for the starter box
Old 03-08-2007, 10:00 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: 87warrior

traxxas makes an oversized flywheel for the maxx trucks for the starter box
The oversize flywheel is for the Revos.
It is not possable to reach the flywheel on the T-Maxx from the underside, the top or the sides. As a matter of fact you can only see about 1/4" of flywheel on the underside and the part that you can see is at least 1" up inbetween the chassis braces and behind the driveshaft.
You cannot use a starter box on the T-Maxx trucks.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Intermission

I have a CV-RX and it's really easy to start. If you can't start it then maybe you shouldn't drive the car.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:54 PM
FOQRS

How do I know which crank to buy?The guys at my local Hobby People don't seem real brite.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:54 PM
FOQRS

I guess I'll be buying a new motor this weekend.Whats the big dif. between O.S .18 cv and .18tm? Any suggestions on an all around good motor?
Thanx
Old 03-09-2007, 09:53 AM
RCCanuck

I'll second the no starter boxes for Tmaxx i have 2 of them and I can gurantee I can't use a starter box.....also nuttin wrong with the OS.18 I have a cvrx in my Evader and it is nuts with power all the way to WOT
Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

As stated, bumps dont work on a t-maxx.

and Intermission:
I have a CV-RX and it's really easy to start. If you can't start it then maybe you shouldn't drive the car.
You should actually read the post before belittling people. He isn't having a problem getting it started, he doesn't have a way to start it (no pullstart, no roto or ez start and you can't bump a maxx.)
Old 03-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Beasley1

ORIGINAL: tommythecat

and Intermission: "I have a CV-RX and it's really easy to start. If you can't start it then maybe you shouldn't drive the car."

You should actually read the post before belittling people. He isn't having a problem getting it started, he doesn't have a way to start it (no pullstart, no roto or ez start and you can't bump a maxx.

Maybe you shouldn't "belittle" people by saying they shouldnt drive there car.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Intermission

and Intermission: "I have a CV-RX and it's really easy to start. If you can't start it then maybe you shouldn't drive the car."

You should actually read the post before belittling people. He isn't having a problem getting it started, he doesn't have a way to start it (no pullstart, no roto or ez start and you can't bump a maxx.
I wasn't saying it to him I was making a general statement.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:02 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: FOQRS

I guess I'll be buying a new motor this weekend.Whats the big dif. between O.S .18 cv and .18tm? Any suggestions on an all around good motor?
Thanx
To answer your question, at least as much as I can...
The TM is a really nice engine and will bolt right to the T-Maxx and use all the parts from the 2.5/3.3 set up. You can be up and running in just a few minutes. I converted my 2.5r Revo to the TM in 20 minutes and needed nothing extra. Just be sure to buy the correct TM for your truck. They come either with a Revo header or a T-Maxx header installed and the headers are not interchangable.
The differences that I am aware of are mostly physical. Os designed the TM to be a physical match to the Traxxas 2.5 engine so that it would be a direct bolt in for the 2.5 engine. Since Traxxas designed the 3.3 to physically resemble the 2.5 the TM will work in that application as well. The CV-R series of engines do not accept the Traxxas starting systems and some of them have to have the crankshafts altered (cut to length)
to work. I believe that there are also internal differences as the TM seems to be more powerful than the CV-R series of engines. I assume that those differences are in porting and timing but cannot say for sure.
IMHO, the TM is the best all-round choice for a replacement/upgrade for the T-Maxx and Revo. It is certainly not the most powerful engine that can be made to fit but it is far-and-away the easiest to retro-fit and makes good power and is reliable and easy to tune.
Hope that helps.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:14 PM
tommythecat

ORIGINAL: Beasley1

Maybe you shouldn't "belittle" people by saying they shouldnt drive there car.
Beasley,
That statement wasn't made by me, it was a quote that I was commenting on. I edited my post to make it more obvious that it was a quote.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Beasley1

my bad
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 PM
tommythecat

Not really, it wasn't clear in my first post, because I used quotes instead of the quote tags.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:41 PM
FOQRS

That sums it up.Thanks for all the great help.Once I get it together I'll post some pics.(ALL aluminum custom made T-maxx)
Old 03-09-2007, 07:28 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: FOQRS

That sums it up.Thanks for all the great help.Once I get it together I'll post some pics.(ALL aluminum custom made T-maxx)
You didn't say that before, the aluminum I mean.
Look into the RB modded TM. With that much weight you're going to need all the power you can get. From what I've read (I've got a regular TM, not a modded one) the RB mods puts the TM up there with some of the smaller big blocks - power wise. You may even consider a big block conversion for it. It'd be a shame to build a nice aluminum Maxx and have it be a dog when running.
Sorry if that complicates your decision making.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:33 PM
FOQRS

I did start to wonder when I picked it up.It is pretty heavy.Just wondering if I just need to change the engine mounts to go big block or if I need all new chassis?my chassis and all is set up for 2.5 or 3.3.